Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoulder of lamb

Options
  • 01-12-2010 12:10am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a piece of shoulder of lamb for two people, and am looking for recommendations for recipes?

I've had braised lamb shank in restaurants in the past, and am wondering if shoulder can be done in the same way? I.e. braised really long and slow so it is very tender?

I've found some recipes on the web, but they are for huge quantities, if needs be I'll adapt them, but am wondering if there are any personal recommendations here?

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

You are spot on, thinking about braising it long and slow.

I cook a shoulder for a few hours or more, in a casserole with garlic, chopped onion, maybe a carrot or some celery, a splash of wine or balsamic vinegar, a squirt of tomato puree, a glug of olive oil and some herbs and seasoning.

The juice left behind makes a great gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I did a Lebanese type dish I posted here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056095260

Very easy and you get to use up all the trimmings.
    Whatever stock you have left at the end of it makes a great base for a Parsnip soup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

stab it and shove in slices of garlic and rosemary!

Delia put it more nicely here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just slow roast it (about 130-150 conventional) for a good while longer than you'd roast as there's a lot of sinew and tissue that needs to break down, but the end result is IMHO far tastier than a leg.
    Then maybe garnish with a salsa verde made of mint (lots of), parsley, olive oil, anchovies, capers, garlic and lemon juice along with an aioli (garlic mayonaisse) that you mix with the roasting juices from the meat

Advertisement