Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Off topic I know but....
    Religion doesn't deserve respect.
    (If you want to discuss this I'll meet you over in the atheist forum).
    Whoa whoa, steady on there. You can't post something so ridiculous then run off. Please do tell why you believe peoples religious belifes do not deserve respect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Whoa whoa, steady on there. You can't post something so ridiculous then run off. Please do tell why you believe peoples religious belifes do not deserve respect?

Come off it, it may have been a bit strong to say but don't tell me you have never seen anything Richard Dawkins has ever written or broadcast. Militant atheism is nothing new today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

dlofnep wrote: »
    Not hardcore loyalist enough for ya Keith?
    Don't be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Please do tell why you believe peoples religious belifes do not deserve respect?

Why do they deserve respect? (I'm respectful to religious people btw - But it's a question worth asking).

For example - Should attacks of the gay community be respected? Should seeking death for apostasy be respected? Should views that marriage should only be between a man and a woman be respected?

Why shouldn't these views be challenged, and why should religion get a get out of jail free card - while other ideologies are criticised freely? Food for thought. Although - I agree with your intent, and that is probably to not purposely go out of your way to disrespect people because of their religion.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Don't be silly.

What about Paisley is it that you don't like then?

gothicus wrote: »
    may u see u there later still getting use to boards and its many mouths :) You cant post the above though and then runaway man. Religion still has sway in Ireland and will for some time. Just because it has many flaws and you dont respect it doesnt give u the right to dismiss it. At its core, religion can and does give hope to many people who have never harmed a soul. I am not religious btw

Makes no sense tbh, if you don't believe in god the first thing you do is dismiss religion, and all types of religion should be dismissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why do they deserve respect? (I'm respectful to religious people btw - But it's a question worth asking).

For example - Should attacks of the gay community be respected? Should seeking death for apostasy be respected? Should views that marriage should only be between a man and a woman be respected?

Why shouldn't these views be challenged, and why should religion get a get out of jail free card - while other ideologies are criticised freely? Food for thought. Although - I agree with your intent, and that is probably to not purposely go out of your way to disrespect people because of their religion.

What's the old saying, I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it.

I personally would draw the line at discrimination or violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

OK no prob you asked.
    Religion has caused more death, destruction and misery on this planet than anything else one could care to mention.
    The various beliefs of all the people who believe in all the different religions are quite funny, more often than not contrary to each other and often idiotic.
    The vary concept of a deity in the heavens listening to the millions of prayers asking him/her to break his/her own given natural laws to help someone is crazy.
    Every religion claims to be the real one and they can't all be (basic logic).
    Much religious doctrine, laws and teachings were all made up for political, social, financial etc reasons by people and didn't just appear on stone tablets or golden plates out of thin air.
    Oh! and of course it's a load of bunkum.
    I could go on but I couldn't be bothered.
    Basically anyone who believes such rubbish for no other reason than that was what they were told by someone else (which is how religion propagates), has their head somewhere the sun don't shine.
    You did ask. :D

Note; I did suggest taking this elsewhere so no bitching please.

OK no prob you asked.
    Religion has caused more death, destruction and misery on this planet than anything else one could care to mention.
    The various beliefs of all the people who believe in all the different religions are quite funny, more often than not contrary to each other and often idiotic.
    The vary concept of a deity in the heavens listening to the millions of prayers asking him/her to break his/her own given natural laws to help someone is crazy.
    Every religion claims to be the real one and they can't all be (basic logic).
    Much religious doctrine, laws and teachings were all made up for political, social, financial etc reasons by people and didn't just appear on stone tablets or golden plates out of thin air.
    Oh! and of course it's a load of bunkum.
    I could go on but I couldn't be bothered.
    Basically anyone who believes such rubbish for no other reason than that was what they were told by someone else (which is how religion propagates), has their head somewhere the sun don't shine.
    You did ask. :D

Note; I did suggest taking this elsewhere so no bitching please.

Explain how the universe was created then.

• Advertisement

I'll tell you how it wasn't fúckin created, and that was by some mythical being in 7 fúcking days.

karma_ wrote: »
    I'll tell you how it wasn't fúckin created, and that was by some mythical being in 7 fúcking days.

prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Modern militant(dissident?) republicans remind me a lot of the modern feminist movement

Both rely on a mandate from the past that's no longer relevant
    Both feel oppressed by the state
    Both dislike Maggie Thatcher
    Both have poor methods for achieving their goals

There is one main difference though -

One is a menace on civilians and disrupt day to day life. The other wants a United Ireland.

I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Not all Christians are young earth creationists (Hebrew word in Genesis is also used for longer periods of time), and can we keep this thread on topic! :pac:

Jakkass wrote: »
    Not all Christians are young earth creationists (Hebrew word in Genesis is also used for longer periods of time), and can we keep this thread on topic! :pac:

Your correct, this has veered way off topic, my apologies.

• Advertisement

Don't forget this is AH (I did earlier) not politics.

I don't know.

exactly.

We are a lot closer to finding out than we were 2000 years ago and yet there is still a massive unanswered question.

It is easy to understand how religion came about and in particular (For me anyway) Christianity.

Jesus lived and was a good man. That is pretty much beyond doubt. What has become ****ed up is the institutionalised religions that seem to think that they are themselves god. I don't disrespect religion, because a lot of people don't know any different and are a bit blinkered. I wouldn't describe myself as the most religious person in the world, but I know a lot of people within my church who are very firm believers and that drives them to do an awful lot of good. I would say the vast majority of religious people are like that, the trouble is, there are a few that are lunatics and give the whole thing a bad name.

A bit like the Republican movement;)

anyway. Those blacks and fenians up north........:D

exactly.

We are a lot closer to finding out than we were 2000 years ago and yet there is still a massive unanswered question.

Invoking a supernatural being just because we don't know the answer to a question is silly.
    Oh I don't know so God must have done it :rolleyes:
    The history of science shows quite clearly that things we have attributed to a god are natural phenomena, why should the present unknowns be any different?

What about Paisley is it that you don't like then?
    Just don't like him. Always denies any part of in the tensions of the troubles. Many volunteers dislike him for it too because he wound them up like a clock and let them go and completely denied it at the same time.

Just don't like him. Always denies any part of in the tensions of the troubles. Many volunteers dislike him for it too because he wound them up like a clock and let them go and completely denied it at the same time.

Surely you mean terrorists scumbags there Keith.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough.

Surely you mean terrorists scumbags there Keith.
    What ever floats your boat karma.

What ever floats your boat karma.

No Keith, it's your boat mate, if you label one side as that then measure the opposite side using a different scale, that means your a massive fúcking hypocrite.

No Keith, it's your boat mate, if you label one side as that then measure the opposite side using a different scale, that means your a massive fúcking hypocrite.
    I don't support the UVF.

I don't support the UVF.

Who are these volunteers you speak of? A couple of auld ones at the soup kitchen, is it?

Who are these volunteers you speak of? A couple of auld ones at the soup kitchen, is it?
    Some members of the Ulster Volunteer Force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Don't forget this is AH (I did earlier) not politics.

Who cares? We get enough threads on AH with complaints about Christianity surely we can keep this one at least semi-ontopic?

Who cares? We get enough threads on AH with complaints about Christianity surely we can keep this one at least semi-ontopic?

I reply to everyone who quotes me. If they are off topic (like you are now) that is not my fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jayus, this one should be interesting, a Republican thread with creationism thrown in for the craic.

PS. Well played Keith.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No i didn't. I said the majority of people who are unionists in Northern Ireland just happen to be Protestants.

Many atheists DO go to Protestant cultural events and enjoy themselves. I know many of them. I ain't religious either.

The point is being missed here. The claims that the majority of people on this Island who celebrate St patricks day don't come from a catholic background is rather fale imo.

true keith the majority are also white, wouldnt disagree where I would disagree is the relevance of their religion in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Who cares. It's not going to make any difference to my life whatever happens. National identity is a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

df1985 wrote: »
    People in the North seem to think we care about them and the situation, whereas I couldnt give a ****e if it floated into the Atlantic.

Who is 'we'?

It always amuses me to hear about talk about having got 'independence' from Britain, 'part-independence' is a more accurate term. The ironic thing being that Ulster provided the most resistance throughout the rule by the British.

Gnobe wrote: »
    Who cares.

The majority of the people evidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

The majority of the people evidently.
    You could say the same about religion. :pac:

lugha wrote: »
    You could say the same about religion. :pac:

I'd rather not spend another second of my time discussing religion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I'd rather not spend another second of my time discussing religion :)
    It hasn't gone away you know. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I havent read all the posts but yes I would want northern Ireland united and under the same government. Ireland is the land of saints and scholars we are industrious no matter what we are lead to believe and can you imagine all the state coffers being increased through the taxes etc. If it was managed by a competant hierarchy then it could be beneficial. It might not be an easy transition but it is eventually going to be the case so why not do it now. Must add have consumed alcohol so spelling may not be the best. Shame on you who voted against a united Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I havent read all the posts but yes I would want northern Ireland united and under the same government. Ireland is the land of saints and scholars we are industrious no matter what we are lead to believe and can you imagine all the state coffers being increased through the taxes etc. If it was managed by a competant hierarchy then it could be beneficial. It might not be an easy transition but it is eventually going to be the case so why not do it now. Must add have consumed alcohol so spelling may not be the best. Shame on you who voted against a united Ireland.

Why shame one me?? If a single innocent person would have to die to create a united Ireland it's too high a price to pay. As far as I'm concerned all forms of nationalism and sectarianism are the greatest diseases humans suffer from. They just exist to distract from the real-divide between the haves and have nots. If I could tear down the borders of every single country in the world in the morning I would.

• Advertisement
Advertisement