Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing the creativity...

• 01-12-2010 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Was just wondered if anyone had ever experienced anything along the same lines, it feels like when I was just starting out in photography I was a lot more creative when I wasn't to sure of myself and experimented a lot more but since learning all about apeture, iso, shutter speeds blah blah blah, that it all became very technical and boring to a point.

Don't get me wrong I love what I do and feel I'm lucky to get an opportunity to do this full time as a lot of people would love to, but I feel once you find that comfort zone it's very very hard to move on and get creative again.

I recently done a shoot with the intention of ok I'm going to just play around with light and settings etc and see how it goes but mid way I realised I'd just reverted back to old faithful and was shooting as I always do as if programmer to do so.

Anyone ever felt similar? An tips on getting the creative juices flowing again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Everybody goes through these phases, you just need to make the effort to find something that interest and motivates you to shoot.

There are plenty of threads here about people losing the 'urge' to go out
    and shoot, not the exact same problem as yours but similar enough to be of help ! :) ...

edit here's one of em - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055948260&highlight=bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Went through phases like that personally many times, and I only really took it up as a proper hobby 2 years back. Always a casual shooter before that.

You don't ever really lose your passion for it, it'll always be there, ready when you are ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

for creativity ..... have a google for images or just randomly browse flickr...and figure out how they did it...then try to recreate it.

ie. light painting - sounds simple enough - but learn and figure out how to master it.....similarly with off camera flash - in theory sounds simple - but learning the difference it makes to over/underexpose one of the flashes and the effect it has on the main subject.

learn how to do studio work, learn how to use filters (the real ones - not the photoshop ones) ...learn how to use photoshop.

All this should get the creative juices flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Have a look at some of the stuff thats blogged by David DuChemin - he talks a good bit about keeping it going. http://www.davidduchemin.com/

He has a few ebooks that are worth a look - some of it is bull****ty but I've found most of it worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

I was so glad when I logged in and saw this thread, I've been feeling the same in recent weeks and have barely touched my camera. The past few days though it's changing again but I was upset with my self and couldn't understand why I was feeling like this as I LOVE photography. Now at least I know I'm not alone and am planning to write down some ideas and see them through! :rolleyes:

Advertisement