Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i start a web design business?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

The real question is do you think you can run a business like this and make a decent living.

Why not spend a few years working for someone else and get the industry experience so you can see what is expected of you and what the job entails.

From your design examples, it's clear that you have an eye for design - but can you generate business, manage clients, manage your time and design websites all at the same time?

It's tough out there at the moment for the majority of web design businesses so it's not going to be an easy option regardless.

Very best of luck with it - I'm sure you'll do well in this industry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

Thank you! From what i saw, there are many crap irish webdesign businesses.They make templates using nested tables which is unacceptable, and not so good looking.I can`t say im the best, but not the worst.I think you`re right with what you said.The best way to go is to work for someone for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Hi guys!I just got in college this year, and im thinking to start a web design business.I`d like to know what you think about my last designs, and if i have any chance to compete with other companies.
    http://img716.imageshack.us/f/95479944.jpg/
    http://img209.imageshack.us/f/15106721.jpg/
    http://img833.imageshack.us/f/49391125.jpg/

Thank you!

Visually, your designs are strong. Can you turn your designs into code?

Starting a business is...business. You might be better off starting as a freelancer to see if you have a head for the business end of things.

How you market yourself is as important, if not more so, than the visual design of a website. So, marketing, meeting clients, pitching your business etc. is very important.

Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 141089

pixeldesign, I am pretty much in the very same position as yourself.

I have a few "twists" on my planned business model to hopefully give me a boost over, for example you :)

But one thing that worries me is the tax situation. What are your thoughts(if any!) on how your going to deal with tax?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

Thank you conorcan2 ! I started to work as a freelancer 2 days ago, and i already got one good project.All my templates are coded(including those you saw) .I know html/xhtml, css, photoshop, php, javascript and my strongest skill SEO .Because im in college at the moment, i dont think someone will hire me, and the best thing to do know as you said is to work as a freelancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭AMPSound

Random idea - I'm sure there are loads of you in the same boat on boards.ie. Why don't you all get together and devise something?

There are loads of Team Collaboration sites out there that could make that work for you guys. As mentioned earlier, someone good at marketing etc could handle that and pass the actual design work on to someone else.

Random idea over.

AMPSound wrote: »
    Random idea - I'm sure there are loads of you in the same boat on boards.ie. Why don't you all get together and devise something?

There are loads of Team Collaboration sites out there that could make that work for you guys. As mentioned earlier, someone good at marketing etc could handle that and pass the actual design work on to someone else.

Random idea over.

That is a good idea, but it needs work in terms of:

1. Trust (how do I know Joe Bloggs won't just sell my design? How do I know Jane Bloggs is working as hard as I am?)
    2. Commitment (half-way through the project and Jane finds a full-time job - then leaves or loses interest).
    3. Hard work for little money (at first it may be necessary to put in work to establish yourself, maybe no return on investment).
    4. Disproportionate workloads. (a business person will probably be putting in less hours than developers if a contract is won).

I'm not trying to shoot your idea down, just looking at it critically :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭AMPSound

conorcan2 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to shoot your idea down, just looking at it critically :D

Of course! There are hundreds of issues! The idea is there to be shot down (or adopted)!

I'm a developer and I've already developed a few websites. I'm interested in talking with somebody with experience in business, marketing, selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

I like your attitude and I agree... far to many bad template user on the go at the moment. Usually because most places don't wan't to spend much.

I've been a freelance web dev for the last 3 years while juggling college. I've done everything from flash to joomla. Generally I use whatever suits the customer best, so sometimes templates are just the answer other times it needs something a bit more specialized and it's time to break out the code :cool:.

If your really serious about it, and I can see your good at design, I'd strongly suggest inviting a similiarly minded friend, or someone whose learning web dev with you to come on board. Two heads are better then one some times just being able to talk to someone who has the same or ther abouts abilities as you really makes jobs that bit easier.

Don't expect to make much on the first few. Create market presence, I started off doing stuff almost free, and before I knew it I was getting plenty of emails looking for work but passing it on to others because I hadn't enough time.

Portfolio, you have some stuff already so your mostly sorted interms of that. People like to see how you do, and what better way then with sites.

Students. My biggest area last summer was students, mostly art students who have graduated college and now need a site to demonstrate their portfolio. These people are great! they don't have much money but they love to design or have something cool or innovative to show their friends.

Also they generate market presence, they're also great return customers.
    As they're in the design industry, and they'll come back to that great guy that designed their first site 9 times out of 10.

I've also done work out sourced by a web company, that deffinatly gave me enough of a peek at the workings of a web company... especially when they invite you in for some coffee ;D.

I'd say go for it. Careful about taxes... I have an accountant for a mammy so I don't worry about that sorting that too much, other then here's what you gotta pay XD.. have a look at setting up small personal buisness... I'm 99% sure there's plenty of guides on it for Ireland, your local library is a good place to start finding information about local drives for buisness or help and aides that exist.

See what's around you, my friend and I setup our own web dev company last summer and our college had a local businesses drive thing on so they gave us an office for free for 3 months. That really put us in the zone and really got us motivated to do work.

I can't stress enough how important a specific pc/room to do work in is. whether its a desk at home in the corner or if your lucky an office,

Advertise, most CS students do freelance web dev work whether it's for family or just cash at some stage. The best methods I've seen produced or used is start off with local shops. Produce a small business card... with the address of your portfolio site, your email... and a phone number that you will answer professionally, so mobile might be a bit dodjy if your a bit comfortable with shouting HOW A YE down your mobile before you know who it is XD although it's been fine for me. Walk in, it goes without saying you should be well dressed.. shirt/trousers.... no tie or suit needed just look clean and tidy. Explain that your from a new local web dev company ask to see a manager usually the owner in a small shop and explain who you are... what you do... and what you offer. Ie you make websites.. or refurbish old ones. Generally don't discuss cost here.. as it can fluctuate wildly on what they want.. if they want simple it's cheap...not simple it's not cheap.. it should become apparent how much it's going to cost once they start discussing whether they are interested or not

90% will have one already or say no thanks.. but I've had a callback once or twice from people who initially said no... but they found the card later and had a think about it.

Software... ffs your gonna be staring at code.. you want something that makes it easier then Textpad/notepad. There's plenty off free web dev tools for html/javascript/php so google them download them and play around with them until you find one you like. Photoshop/Gimp, cracked copies of photoshop aren't really a legitimate option if your running an actual buisness, it's not really an option to run out an buy photoshop to start with... hell it isn't even for me now XD so I'd get used to GIMP or whatever other photo editors you like.... can't remember properly but I think GIMP is being discontinued in a while and changing to a different name. Anyways for now it's okish compared to photoshop, I know some people who swear by it XD.

Filezilla.... possibly the best FTP server tool I've ever used and it's free ;D yay ;D.
    Dead handy for managing server ips and passwords for when someone comes back in a years time to get a picture changed XD.

Know the customer... if someone isn't techy... don't add stupid unneccessary cool techy features.. What they want is fast simple and easy to use. If someone wants a time machine... let the messy code begin ;D.

Hope that helps.. perhaps one day we shall cross paths, I hope so.. it's certainly a big enough market ;D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Thank you conorcan2 ! I started to work as a freelancer 2 days ago, and i already got one good project.All my templates are coded(including those you saw) .I know html/xhtml, css, photoshop, php, javascript and my strongest skill SEO .Because im in college at the moment, i dont think someone will hire me, and the best thing to do know as you said is to work as a freelancer.

An industry I've worked in for a long time - as a highly ranked SEO company (since 2004) and from developing software/web apps (since 1998) and developing CMS PHP and ASP.net websites (since 2001) - we had a design and development team of about 25.

The business of being in business in website design is a complicated one. Firstly, you're going to have to work out how much to charge. This could be based on any of (or combination of), using market based pricing models:

1. Time-based charging - very hard to do in this market - where the hourly price is set by the market and the time is set by the amount of functionality (as used sometimes by software development/contracting/construction and other services: Accountants, Solicitors)
    2. Package based - the most common and most competitive (i.e. you're discarding your "unique selling point" to some degree in order to compete at a "market" price - its a game of luck for the client in terms of hoping to get the right design where most companies offer a similar price but its a pretty easy way to sell. Normally its the amount of functionality that dictates the value/cost of the package.
    In both cases, its very intangible but that's the nature of the game. Ideally case 1 is most suitable for the vendor but it rarely happens unless you've built a huge reputation. This would tend to make you the "go to guy". I can think of several in Ireland for design and 5 or so for development.

You will have to work out pricing based on:

• How many hours can you work on design? E.g. in a 40 hour week = 35 hours for example
    • How many hours will you need to spend on Admin, Marketing, Networking, Legal
    • What overheads will you have?
    • If you determine that you need €25k to break even in 12 months, then you only win 1 project, the project cost is €25k. So find a median point between the mark price and the number of projects you (A) expect to win and (B) actually can achieve
    • Factor in costs for: Prof. Indemnity Insurance, Legal Advice, Bookkeeping/Accounting, time to marketing, R&D and/or training, Downtime and cyclical difficulties (like Christmas time or Summer holidays)
    • Typically if you earn €20 per hour in a professional employment/contracting capacity, you will need to make €40 per hour as a vendor - because out of your 40 hour week, you may not be busy every day on paying work [you may work but you're not getting paid!]
    My Opinion: (and @TomEd and I have discussed this before) I think design is overrated in terms of the overall picture of internet marketing. Some of the most successful (in pure $$$ terms) sites I've seen have little or no design quality. Sometimes, tacky or "lack of" design aesthetics is in fact a design in its own right (e.g. Ryanair/Lidl). Whatever people's opinions are - the fact remains, not all people agree. Therefore, while you have strong designs if 80/100 people agree, you will still have to work for people who dont like a particular design on the day - its the bane of all web designers and take notes!

You suggest that your strongest skill is SEO - SEO is a strategy. It's hard to measure and hard to prove unless you rank really well. There are about 10 - 15 companies in Ireland that I would consider very strong for SEO/SEM and the rest I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to - again, just my opinion but its backed with a lot of experience.

Best of luck!

link8r wrote: »
    My Opinion: (and @TomEd and I have discussed this before) I think design is overrated in terms of the overall picture of internet marketing. Some of the most successful (in pure $$$ terms) sites I've seen have little or no design quality. Sometimes, tacky or "lack of" design aesthetics is in fact a design in its own right (e.g. Ryanair/Lidl).

Hey David, happy new year to you!

I was going to abstain from commenting, but when you used Ryanair and Lidl as an example of how a website can be successful with "bad design" I just couldn't resist.

You probably know more than most that the reason the Ryanair website is successful has absolutely nothing to do with the design of the site, but how it is marketed.

The problem with that is that most businesses don't have the budget Mr. O'Leary or Lidl have to market their website. And again, as you well know, both of these websites could be greatly improved in terms of aesthetics in order to make them even more user friendly.

Ryanair's business is built around the booking online, it's the main way you can book a flight from them and the one they want you to do most - because it saves them a hell of a lot of money.

Lidl don't make money from their website, they just use it as a tool to direct people to their shops for their latest offers - they don't need anything more than what they send out in every weekend paper on their website for this to happen.

Yet they could do a lot more to get more footfall to their shops from visitors to their website - if they redesigned it.

Yes, it's clear that the Ryanair website is a success, but insinuating that anyone can have a poorly designed website and get the maximum return on it is just wrong.

You should really judge the success of a website on how good it is at converting - take Amazon for example, to the untrained eye it looks pretty basic from a design point of view - from a designers point of view though, they have missed very little in terms of capturing the visitors attention and that's one of the reasons why they have one of the highest conversion ratios online (there are more reasons of course).
    Whatever people's opinions are - the fact remains, not all people agree. Therefore, while you have strong designs if 80/100 people agree, you will still have to work for people who dont like a particular design on the day - its the bane of all web designers and take notes!

True, but I think you are confusing "graphic design" with "good design" - "good design" isn't about "pretty pictures" - it's about how a user interacts with it, including accessibility etc.

If you get that right, people will love being on your website regardless of how it looks*.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There's been numerous threads on this site over the last ten years on the costs of running a web design / development business, breakeven points etc etc

Basic thing though ..

It's a business. You need to treat it as such.

It doesn't matter a damn if 90%+ of the current designers / developers do X or Y as long as they can make a living doing it.

If you can't make a living doing super-duper standards compliant W3C yadda yadda yadda then you will go out of business ....

tomED wrote: »
    Hey David, happy new year to you!

Hey Tom - thank you and many happy returns - I hope 2011 is another great year for you!
    I was going to abstain from commenting,

It just didn't work out huh ? :p
    but when you used Ryanair and Lidl as an example of how a website can be successful with "bad design" I just couldn't resist.

I didn't suggest it was "bad design" - I just suggested it wasn't great design. My point isn't too dissimilar to yours, I'm just looking at it a different way. I do actually think that a site can have little or none of many of the aspects that designers with a strong emphasis on pretty pictures have and still make a tonne of money. Think of the sites that sell million dollar marketing tricks or "top secrets the banks don't want you to know" - sure, they're nothing more than snake oil 99.999% of the time and there is simply no design, just a really long scroll bar. Awful from a business and consumer point of view but they clearly do the job of conning (I nearly said convincing, which I guess is true) people. Its an awful business and I'd love to see them stamped out but it makes a really important point to consider.
    You probably know more than most that the reason the Ryanair website is successful has absolutely nothing to do with the design of the site, but how it is marketed.

To expand my point: Blue and Yellow is intentionally tacky, not a lack of design. They intentionally use this colour scheme and design style to give the impression of "no frills". I'm actually suggesting that its intentionally designer this way. From a UI point of view it works quite well. For them. You gently get taken through a set of screens where the amount of money you planned to spend (€10 one way for example) slowly builds up as you pay for baggage, priority seating (lulz) insurance....

It just didn't work out huh ? :p

Couldn't resist! Inner urges we're just way too strong!! :)

I didn't suggest it was "bad design" - I just suggested it wasn't great design.

It's terrible design, in so many ways, but that's neither here nor there - it's the fact that you used it as a way of explaining how websites could be successful with bad design.

My point is that it's success has absolutely nothing to do with its design at all, but simply how it was marketed.

I do actually think that a site can have little or none of many of the aspects that designers with a strong emphasis on pretty pictures have and still make a tonne of money.

Your first post made out that pretty picture design and good design were the same thing - I'm just trying to point out that these two things are completely different.

Take Google for example, there are no pretty pictures there, yet its design is something that they spend a lot of time and money on.

Think of the sites that sell million dollar marketing tricks or "top secrets the banks don't want you to know" - sure, they're nothing more than snake oil 99.999% of the time and there is simply no design, just a really long scroll bar.

But why do they do the job? There are many reasons for it.

1. They're everywhere - so most are well marketed and it's safe to say we've all come across them

2. What are they selling - generally a "get rich quick" or "lose weight fast" - these instant promises that aren't realistic that a lot of people are just suckers for.

3. NLP - Most of these websites are wrote using NLP techniques that "trick" people into needing the product they are selling.

To expand my point: Blue and Yellow is intentionally tacky, not a lack of design. They intentionally use this colour scheme and design style to give the impression of "no frills". I'm actually suggesting that its intentionally designer this way. From a UI point of view it works quite well. For them. You gently get taken through a set of screens where the amount of money you planned to spend (€10 one way for example) slowly builds up as you pay for baggage, priority seating (lulz) insurance....

I think that's a little assumptious - I'm not sure of the history of Ryanair's corporate branding - but their website came a good few years after their business was set up. So I would imagine the design is purely based on the companies corporate colours.

Couldn't resist! Inner urges we're just way too strong!! :)

I like consistency :)

It's terrible design, in so many ways, but that's neither here nor there - it's the fact that you used it as a way of explaining how websites could be successful with bad design.

My point is that it's success has absolutely nothing to do with its design at all, but simply how it was marketed.

Yes - exactly - the design is often seen as what will market a site - but often its other things you do that push it.
    Your first post made out that pretty picture design and good design were the same thing - I'm just trying to point out that these two things are completely different.

Take Google for example, there are no pretty pictures there, yet its design is something that they spend a lot of time and money on.

No I don't think good design and pretty pictures are the same thing. I suggested that a site can still sell without a good design. And it can. And you don't have to rely on TV or big advertising.

Craigslist - good example.

I think that's a little assumptious - I'm not sure of the history of Ryanair's corporate branding - but their website came a good few years after their business was set up. So I would imagine the design is purely based on the companies corporate colours.

I know the guys did their first website.

I know that a lot of companies we're dealing with now, are intentionally copying these colour schemes - as they're seen as a value/low cost style. Many of these companies had high end designs and now want a competing low-cost site for the recession.

For example, if I owned www.lechocolat.i.e - a high end, luxury purveyor of chocolate, and I'm losing business in the recession or even just stalling, I might be tempted to setup up www.cheapluxurychocolate.com as a competing non-branded website that sells good quality chocolate at low prices - sans frills - I'm likely to copy the Lidl/Ryanair look. Thus, I'm saying it may be a lot more intentional than you think.

I suggested that a site can still sell without a good design. And it can. And you don't have to rely on TV or big advertising.

Craigslist - good example.

Yep, it can - but that doesn't mean it's getting the best bang for its buck.

Ryanair is a bad example because you can only really book online or by phone, so increasing the conversions would be pretty difficult - but if you were a competing business with a similar and competitive business model - you could get your website to a stage that it competes or beats them by spending time on good design.

So for any business out there that wants to get out there and maximise their potential, it's worthwhile spending more money and time getting it right so that they don't have to do it again.

I know the guys did their first website.

I know that a lot of companies we're dealing with now, are intentionally copying these colour schemes - as they're seen as a value/low cost style. Many of these companies had high end designs and now want a competing low-cost site for the recession.

That's great but it doesn't really explain if Ryanair made a business decision to do that or was it a web decision.

I would assume it was a business decision if that was the image they were trying to portray.
    For example, if I owned www.lechocolat.i.e - a high end, luxury purveyor of chocolate, and I'm losing business in the recession or even just stalling, I might be tempted to setup up www.cheapluxurychocolate.com as a competing non-branded website that sells good quality chocolate at low prices - sans frills - I'm likely to copy the Lidl/Ryanair look. Thus, I'm saying it may be a lot more intentional than you think.

Well this is where we greatly differ - if I was setting up a business to compete with a competitor like this, I would design a website that was easy to use, looked more professional, reliable, thrust worthy and with a sense of quality.

Making my site more easy to use, with a better user experience than my competitor will drive more sales through my website. It's the whole "don't make them think" factor that you need to achieve. With Ryanair, you have to think ... too much at times!!

Advertisement