Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Machines only giving out 50 euro notes

Options
  • 01-12-2010 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed that ATMS are more and more are only giving out 50 euro notes, I mean whats this about.I mean just because 50 euro is like a fiver to these crooked politicians flush with money we all have to suffer, 50 euro is alot of money for students, OAP's, people on the dole and on minimum wage, I can accept not being able to take out a tenner but everyone should me able to take out just 20 euro if thats all they need, don't you all agree?Can someone explain why this is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Where have you experienced this? In more than one geographic area? From ATMs of more than one institution?

It could be a number of things - insufficient stocks of low notes being the main one.

I'd be much more concerned if you could only get low denomination notes out to be honest, as that would imply a bank run was beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Where have you experienced this? In more than one geographic area? From ATMs of more than one institution?

It could be a number of things - insufficient stocks of low notes being the main one.

I'd be much more concerned if you could only get low denomination notes out to be honest, as that would imply a bank run was beginning.

In most atms around waterford city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've noticed a few more ATMs having the option of dispensing tenners lately and since September have only once had to take out a 50 when I didn't want to which is less than the same period last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

In most atms around waterford city

More a sign of the times in Waterford then. People like yourself are looking for lower denom notes and cleaning the machines out of them. During the tiger years, many ATMs were constructed to contain a significant number of 50s and the capacity to stock 5s was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

In Germany recently I went to an ATM to take out €100, expecting to get 2x€50 notes. Instead I got...

1x€50
    1x€20
    2x€10
    2x€5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I mean just because 50 euro is like a fiver to these crooked politicians flush with money we all have to suffer

I'm not aware of politicians stocking bank machines in any part of the country, or having some sort of say in what goes into them.
    Can someone explain why this is happening?

Paranoia, on your behalf. It's nothing new, and ATMs have always run short of 20s before 50s. Perhaps there is not enough re-stocking of the machines, or people are withdrawing much more lower amounts than they used to. I have no problem getting 20s from machines, but you may have to try more than one. Perhaps you should try a different machine, if one has nothing lower than €50.

This is not a conspiracy by crooked politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The atm near where I work would get filled early in the morning, I'd get out €20 at 07:50 and by 18:30 going home it would only have €50. They dont seem to fill the machine until it is ewmpty and alot of people walk away from the machine when it only has €50s so its a few days before its filled again.

A few months ago I remember reading that either a charity or a union was calling for all bank machines to stock 10 euro notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

wmpdd3 wrote: »

A few months ago I remember reading that either a charity or a union was calling for all bank machines to stock 10 euro notes.

same thing; ye give money to both and then ye haven't a clue what they do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The problem here is not a political conspiracy, but Ireland's ridiculous dependence on cash. ATM's only hold a certain amount of notes. The lower the denominations, the sooner the machine runs out. Other countries, have less ATM's per head of population, give out smaller denominations, and have smaller queues at the ATM's. Why? Because people there don't use cash as much.

We have Credit/Debit cards and ETF's for a reason (all of which are free and easier to use), but a huge percentage of the population are unfortunately allergic to them for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

dotsman wrote: »
    The problem here is not a political conspiracy, but Ireland's ridiculous dependence on cash. ATM's only hold a certain amount of notes. The lower the denominations, the sooner the machine runs out. Other countries, have less ATM's per head of population, give out smaller denominations, and have smaller queues at the ATM's. Why? Because people there don't use cash as much.

We have Credit/Debit cards and ETF's for a reason (all of which are free and easier to use), but a huge percentage of the population are unfortunately allergic to them for some reason.

Hit the nail on the head the 10's and 20ies go long before the rest of the notes; (Unless your in dundrum it seems!).

Also ATM's only get refilled at maximum once a day if its a high traffic atm and different types of atm have differing capacities (and are filled as such).

So one filled on grafton street is filled alot more than one thats in a centra in cabinteely village.

• Advertisement
Advertisement