Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout at Church rd/New Rd/Tanyard Junction

Options
  • 01-12-2010 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Ok, can someone please tell me why drivers refuse to use this roundabout correctly?!

Is there something about it that makes the rules different to every other roundabout in Ireland? :confused:

Is it because it has 5 exits that people get confused?!

As far as i was aware, when taking the second exit off a roundabout, the norm, as per the rules of the road, is to look at the roundabout as a clock face, entering it at 6 oclock, with the second exit being 12 o clock, and so, taking any exit at or before 12 o clock requires you to stay in the left/outside lane! Unless road markings tell you otherwise!
    Taking any exit after 12 o clock means using the right hand lane!

What is so difficult about this??

When coming from Tesco/Hophill, and taking the New Rd or Tanyard lane exit, you use the outside lane/left lane!

Please correct me if im wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Ok, can someone please tell me why drivers refuse to use this roundabout correctly?!

Is there something about it that makes the rules different to every other roundabout in Ireland? :confused:

Is it because it has 5 exits that people get confused?!

As far as i was aware, when taking the second exit off a roundabout, the norm, as per the rules of the road, is to look at the roundabout as a clock face, entering it at 6 oclock, with the second exit being 12 o clock, and so, taking any exit at or before 12 o clock requires you to stay in the left/outside lane! Unless road markings tell you otherwise!
    Taking any exit after 12 o clock means using the right hand lane!

What is so difficult about this??

When coming from Tesco/Hophill, and taking the New Rd or Tanyard lane exit, you use the outside lane/left lane!

Please correct me if im wrong!

I always took it that the left lane is only for going left and straight on (2nd exit) or right (any exit after the 2nd exit) is the Right lane. Therefore people going up the tanyard should be in the Right lane. otherwise if you are in the left lane but are going to the tanyard then there is a chance you could block someone exiting the roundabout by driving past the exit for the New Road.

I hope that makes sense.

This however suggests that you are right but this could give way to all local ruling (signs). I'm not sure myself whether they signs at that particular roundabout back up my way or the standard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

The tanyard lane is the second exit/straight ahead, so you should be in the left hand lane, when coming from Tesco.
    When driving up to the roundabout from Tesco, me being 6 o clock on the clock face, New road is my first exit, 9 o clock, tanyard is my second exit, 12 o clock, so drivers should be in the left hand/outside lane.

Dunnes stores/Church rd is my third exit, the old cul de sac is the fourth exit, and Hophill is the fifth exit, all 12 o clock or after, so drivers should be in the right hand, inside lane, and indicating to take their exit when safe to do so.

You would not block someone exiting on the New Rd exit, as you would be giving way to that vehicle as its coming from your right anyway.

If you were in the right hand lane, you should be taking the exit for Dunnes stores, the cul de sac or continuing right the way around to go back the direction you were coming from, does that make sense?

No, there are no road markings to suggest that the outside lane is left turn only, which there are at the tesco roundabout when you are coming from the Meelaghans direction.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    No, there are no road markings to suggest that the outside lane is left turn only, which there are at the tesco roundabout when you are coming from the Meelaghans direction.
    Well then you're right.

Could you tell the rest of the town that please! :rolleyes:

Im sure if someone takes the side out of my car someday while i take the correct lane, but they take the wrong one, the gardai will play the "50/50 blame" card! :rolleyes:

Would it be the Town Council who are responsible for the markings/signs on that roundabout? Cos i would love to ring them and plead that they make it clear which lane drivers should be in! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Left lane is for first and second exits (which are the first two) unless the arrows tell you otherwise (like at tesco), which is another place the pr1cks dont know how to use. Dont get me started on the cnuts

Well the little pr!ck who blew me outta of it yesterday cos he thought he was in the right, got a face to face bollocking from me,it felt good! :D

Im sick to the back teeth of it! Might even go so far as writing to the Tribune to highlight it!! :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I'm actually surprised nobody has been killed at that roundabout. Last year my boyfriend and I were coming down the new road going out to tesco, when some woman drove out from tanyard exit straight in front of the boy. Well, he didn't/couldn't stop in time and hit her.

Anything like the abuse she gave him. Oh lord. I was ashamed to be of the same sex, the language that was flying out of her. The gardai came, she took his insurance details, he took hers, she tried claim against him (cheek!!) but wasn't sucessful.

Some people shouldn't be let loose on the road. That isn't even lane mistake. That's forgetting basic "give way to the right hand side".

What throws me on that roundabout too is say if you're coming from church road onto hophill and you're taking the 2nd exit, well, I always indicate coming off at that exit but ANY time one of my friends are in the car, completely scolds me and tells me you do not indicate there; as it's straight on.
    Is she right? I always assumed you indicate when you're taking an exit even if it seems to be straight ahead

What throws me on that roundabout too is say if you're coming from church road onto hophill and you're taking the 2nd exit, well, I always indicate coming off at that exit but ANY time one of my friends are in the car, completely scolds me and tells me you do not indicate there; as it's straight on.
    Is she right? I always assumed you indicate when you're taking an exit even if it seems to be straight ahead

You indicate for all exiting for a roundabout after the exit before it. This applies whether its the second exit or the twenty second exit. If you are coming from Church road, and going towards Tesco then you indicate left after you go past the cul-de-sac turn off. The problem here being that the space between the cul-de-sac and the exit for the Balinagar road is so small that most people don't bother.

Advertisement