Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working, Living in New Zealand

• 01-12-2010 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Well we are strongly thinking of leaving dear 'ole Ireland for NZ. We are too old for to be eligiable for the NZ Skilled Migrant Work VISA as ALL work VISA end for anyone over 55 years of age...we are older then this. My partner is a certified Electrican (on the NZ gov. list of shortage skilled work) and retired after 33 yrs as a fireman. PLAN: leave now B4 Xmas, with round-the-world tickets, arrive & buy a used Van, ship over our camping gear and work tools, travel island for 1st month, looking, learning, find work, apply for work permit after we get secure offer...If work offer good, one of us returns home, packs house, ships, car and goods in a 40ft container to NZ. Uncertain what to do with our home, dogs...QUES: (1) HAS ANYONE DONE A SIMULAR MOVE IN THE LAST 2 YRS? (2) Has anyone in our age group done this? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dalejackson

i guess nobody reads this forum that much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BurritoQueen

You are SO right not much communication on this thread, but did it we are here in fantastic wunderful NZ...amazing people and even more amazing countryside. That in said spite of the fact that we were nearly thrown off the bed in the most recent swarm of earthquakes and yes (as we are here on a tourist VISA camping for the coming 3 months) and a typhoon off shore swamped our seaside tent and we had to sleep in the front of the van at 2am in the morning ( not OK for us creaky boned kids). But there are jobs; lots of jobs for those who are eligiable and can pass the NZ Skill shortage scheme. the sun is very brite and we burn easy but now we wear long sleeved shirts and UV fliter hats everywear...sucha problem eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

just saw this topic now we moved last december to south island and yes it is great and can get very hot,so have you settled or still travelling sorry didnt take note of the dates on post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭perry stanley

Oh wow, we too fit in the creaky fold, but its so inspiring to read your threads.
    But we still have school going children, would that in your opinions make it more difficult. We would so much like to go so that our children are not burdened by the after effects of the situation the country finds itself. I must admire you guys for 'taking the plunge'. Well done:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BurritoQueen

Hi there you can reach us (pat 'n deb) on 027-85-44887 or PM and tell us where you are and what you're up to here in the South Island...we;ve been feeling the biggish aftershocks 4.4 etc?? Have you children or? long ago (1989) after the California quake (epicenter 3km from my home) I moved my blended family of 6 children ( 4 teenagers) lock stock and barrel to Bavaria for 10years. best thing I EVER did for us as a family and me as a woman. yes yes yes if you CAN afford to do MOVE to a new country while you can..it gives your children a broad perspective on their home country, home values etc... I can only recommend this with gusto...keep in touch and Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

hi we are in mapua just outside nelson on the way to motueka living in a rented house for the next year while we take stock of our surroundings and see were is best to buy my partner is a chef in a local resteraunt and im in construction doing small jobs for locals,havent found my feet yet....
    all going well sun is nice when your not working in it all we have to get used to really are the prices and wage difference but we are managing.we have residency for the next 2 years and can then apply for irrv if its still teh same system then.
    so what are you doing in chch is that were you will stay. anybody in eire who just wants to get out due to the current situation i would say think about it wisely its a huge move to relocate but if there are multiple reasons then go for it it can be quite rewarding and morally boosting to move to a completly new country and survive relatively happily

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stratus

Hi guys it very inspirational to read yer posts !! have been thinking of doing it Would have to be the south island as I'd be hoping to get work rebuilding Christchurch just wondering if this plan sounds to crazy??

Fly out camp in or near chchurch until I find a job offer get and apply for a work permit is this way possible ?? it unfortunately would have to be on a shoe string budget (I know would love to do it comfortable but not possible) I would be banking on getting a job (plumbing ) quick am hoping to get out here before the NZ summer ??
    What yeah think?? (oh it would be a ticket for one bd way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thought I'd add my piece in here

We're moving to New Plymouth in Aug / Sept.
    Visas are pretty much approved, just have to submit one more document.

Partner has a job already, I'm searching.

cannot wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shanem152

Hi guys, Ive been granted a 1 year visa for NZ and am leaving at the end of this month!

we have decided to go to Auckland as this is where the world cup is on, and think we will stay there for a little while!

Unfortuantely I want to go nearly everywhere else more, I want to surf lots, so I would like a coastal place sooner rather then later

What are the shortest contracts you can sign for accomodation?
    Im thinking work in Auckland for 24/5 months and then get out of there i ntime for summer (december?) where hopefully queenstown would be my destination

How difficult is it to get jobs in Queenstown

Any other broad advice for going to NZ? Everything seems pretty dated on the forums!

Cheers all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lil37

Hi all,
    We are thinking of moving to Christchurch. Husband in construction and there are opportunities there for him in the rebuilding after EQ. We have two young girls so it's a big decision. How are schools? What is cost of living? We would hope that it would be a better quality of life, better weather, outdoor living etc. What is the weather like there? I have so many questions. Have never been, and know nobody there. Expect that there would be a lot of Irish NZ bound for work in Chch in construction, so hopefully could meet people easily enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement