Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Winger_PL wrote: »
    It's been snowing moderately around Parkwest for the last hour, I'm not fancy driving home in the afternoon, I might break from work earlier.
    The winds are visibly shifting towards easterlies and hence the areas previously shadowed by the Isle Of Man might get some snow soon.

:D:D:D ooh ido hope so, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Same situation in Dundalk as yesterday. NE winds mean Cooley/Mourne Mts shadow continue to block precipitation. There has been a continous line of showers aheading inland just to the south of here all day. However BBC NI lunchtime forecast calls for a beefing up of shower activity in the evening. If only the wind backed a little............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Really beautiful here now in Lucan :)

So glad I got a snow day in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Finnstown (more or less)

It looks like that dancing of yours worked a treat!
    Absolutely pelting down now in Lucan up by Willsbrook Park. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Snowing solidly for the last hour Newcastle Co Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

The white is building back up in Malahide. Still not completely covered but impressive nonetheless seing as thought we would get nothing with that stupid shadow!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

This is happening because people simply dont know how to drive in these conditions. Panic sets in.

I came off the road in snow 2 years ago so since then I just dont drive in it. I understand people are nervous but its the tools who think they know it all.. Ahh bit of snow, bit of fluff, sure whats the problem...... Problem is the roads are like skating rinks & no matter how big a jeep you drive its dangerous for everyone. I saw another eejit overtake a guy as he wasnt going fast enough for him - problem was the place he over took at was blind to see the kids on an estate hill...... Local parent & kids this morning had a few inches miss when a car spun out of control hitting a wall beside her crossing at the school. Too scary to even think about

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Still more snow in D14... snowed about 4 hrs already today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Started back again in Rathfarnham. It's been snowing lightly on and off for the past hour and a half. Nothing's melting as it's so cold although nothing's really sticking either as the snow is still too light.

Getting so jealous reading about all these heavy snow showers everywhere, even in the city centre and the coast.

Would just love a nice heavy 15-minute snow shower with blizzard like conditions. Is that too much to ask :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mmmuffin

Snowing away all the time here in Sandyford/Leopardstown area. It's quite bad now, very deep snow, gonna leave work before dark to get home safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

First snow in Kells since the early hours. Very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Very heavy graupal/snow in s. d15 now. It's dumped a fair bit of new stuff on the ground, the patio snow is almost level with the grass snow if you get my drift.

I guess this is the stuff everyone else has had :)

edit - also, funny, but the birds really did know first. They were sqwawking like mad a couple of minutes before this started.

edit - hooooly crap, really heavy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

lucy2010 wrote: »
    I came off the road in snow 2 years ago so since then I just dont drive in it. I understand people are nervous but its the tools who think they know it all.. Ahh bit of snow, bit of fluff, sure whats the problem...... Problem is the roads are like skating rinks & no matter how big a jeep you drive its dangerous for everyone. I saw another eejit overtake a guy as he wasnt going fast enough for him - problem was the place he over took at was blind to see the kids on an estate hill...... Local parent & kids this morning had a few inches miss when a car spun out of control hitting a wall beside her crossing at the school. Too scary to even think about

I took a taxi into work yesterday and the day before. I have an automatic car, which are impossible to drive in this weather. Yesterday morning, the taxi i was in went into a skid while on its way out of my estate after hitting some black ice. Not a nice experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tenaciousdee

snowing again in Navan! Any body in Kells? What's happening there?

Seems to have stopped snowing again here........? Not for long, though, I'd say??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Steady graupel shower for the last 20 mins in Lucan is seeming to turn a bit snowier. Quite light though and no kahoonas about it, so it could die out any minute.

:D gruple/ snow

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Really beautiful here now in Lucan :)

So glad I got a snow day in work.

Please send it in the direction of Celbridge. :D

I'm starting to feel more optimistic now that there seems to be snow in many areas that missed out on last night's snowfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I RECKON IT'S HAPPENING.....COME 6PM. IT'S CONSTANT CLOUD ACROSS THE IRISH SEA:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Slowed down a lot here, I see patches of blue sky. Still, impressive as it's the 'warmest' part of the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

crazy down here in Chapelizod. Snow has been heavy for past hour. Stopped now but can see more clouds rolling in.

I RECKON IT'S HAPPENING.....COME 6PM. IT'S CONSTANT CLOUD ACROSS THE IRISH SEA:eek:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

snowing again in Navan! Any body in Kells? What's happening there?

Not a lot. Just one light snow shower which has almost stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

glossy wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cam you provide a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

gruple/ snow in donaghmede

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Clear blue skies here in Ballina, Co.Mayo, Temp of -7.5 on way to work this morning at 8am and is just hovering below 0C now. However D.P is -5C and humidity is 68% so not even much frost on the car now in the morning, it doesnt even feel that cold as there is no moisture around anymore! Has been no snow eher since Saturday night but whatever fell then is still on the ground...Hard to imagine that 100miles east of here parts of the country are under a heap of snow! For a small little country we really have very localised weather systems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Easily the best 'shower' here so far (south d15). Still going. But it got very intense at times, visibility was way way down. Very graupal-y, it's like someone's filled the place with those little polystyrene balls, as someone put it earlier. Would hesitate to guess how much was added to the existing snow, a couple of cm at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Mmmuffin wrote: »
    Snowing away all the time here in Sandyford/Leopardstown area. It's quite bad now, very deep snow, gonna leave work before dark to get home safely.

Thanks for update, you aren't near Beacon hotel roundabout are you by any chance?

I barely made it up the hill at 4pm yesterday, passed two dozen cars abandoned at 7am this morning on way to town.

Yrag2E wrote: »
    crazy down here in Chapelizod. Snow has been heavy for past hour. Stopped now but can see more clouds rolling in.

Bring it up here!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Insane in D15 at the moment. Visibility is very poor and snowfall is very heavy. The roads are solid ice with snow covering it entirely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement