Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Whiteout for past 40 minutes in Dublin 15. Heavy snow and graupel and no sign of it stopping. at least 15 centimetres on ground where i am.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

For the experts: might be too early to tell but do ye think the front on Thursday night will bring rain or snow to the West?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

The M1 between Dundalk and Drogheda is bad, taking some people over an hour to travel from Drogheda to Dundalk.

Still clear skies and sun here though, feckin Cooley Mountains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

graupel-i haven't ever heard this word being used before i checked out this forum., streamer- correct me if im wrong but this isn't a meteorological term, is it something we made up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Looks like the runway is gonna be closing again soon... there planning on diverting planes to shannon.

Edit: Closing now. 4 hour closure expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well f*7k me ,

I said yesterday that I have never experienced snow like this in my life but today surpasses it

Bucketing down.

I cleared a pathway from the front of the house to to the road and its completely covered with another inch in half an hour !

Temp -1.3

DP -3.0

Hi Jake;

Looking at raintoday.co.uk, wind has changed and lucan should get hit in next 20 mins!!

Its very very heavy now, if I were you, Id seriously think of getting home early today.Its going to be bad later.

Its like a snow globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Meduim snow now falling in Co.waterford, Waterford has been getting loads and loads of snow Recently

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Avoid Armagh road in Crumlin...some knackers there trying to push cars into roundabouts and opening back doors to throw snow in...very dangerous! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    For the experts: might be too early to tell but do ye think the front on Thursday night will bring rain or snow to the West?

The further inland and higher up the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Dublin airport is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

dublin airport is closed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

supposed to fly from shannon to london on friday. really hope to christ i make it. had flight to barcelona cancelled earlier in the year due to the volcano. serious bad luck if i miss this trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Thanks for update, you aren't near Beacon hotel roundabout are you by any chance?

I barely made it up the hill at 4pm yesterday, passed two dozen cars abandoned at 7am this morning on way to town.

Im in sandyford too and i havent seen the snow that the poster is talking about, there is a very very light snow just after starting now though...havent had anything decent since about 11.30am it was heavy then

roads are not too bad, have seen ploughs and gritters up and down all day, the snow on paths and on the smaller roads is very thick though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mmmuffin

Thanks for update, you aren't near Beacon hotel roundabout are you by any chance?

I barely made it up the hill at 4pm yesterday, passed two dozen cars abandoned at 7am this morning on way to town.

I'm not near there, I'm down at the South County Business Park, and I know even the people leaving here now have had to be either pushed out in their cars or are arranging alternative transport due to terrible road conditions,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mmmuffin

Im in sandyford too and i havent seen the snow that the poster is talking about, there is a very very light snow just after starting now though...havent had anything decent since about 11.30am it was heavy then

roads are not too bad, have seen ploughs and gritters up and down all day, the snow on paths and on the smaller roads is very thick though

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

i reckon people in Dublin CC who use public transport might want to check if they still running,apparently buses are struggling to get past north strand on the norhtside

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

11 inches of snow now in the middle of my garden and drifts up to 18 inches:eek:

I think ive had enough now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Jake1 wrote: »
    Its very very heavy now, if I were you, Id seriously think of getting home early today.Its going to be bad later.

Its like a snow globe.
    Light snow here in Celbridge at the moment, but I have got everything crossed that the heavier stuff you have down in Lucan will arrive here shortly. I'm starting to feel like a snow addict :eek:

Mmmuffin wrote: »
    I'm not near there, I'm down at the South County Business Park, and I know even the people leaving here now have had to be either pushed out in their cars or are arranging alternative transport due to terrible road conditions,

i am up practically beside the beacon, as i said the main roads are grand, just a bit slushy, cars are driving on the smaller roads but they are quite icy.

that light snow has stopped again now...can even see spots of blue sky...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

drdeadlift wrote: »
    graupel-i haven't ever heard this word being used before i checked out this forum., streamer- correct me if im wrong but this isn't a meteorological term, is it something we made up here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Walked up to the local Mace and back - seriously heavy now everywhere - super massive snow men going up everywhere. Saw a little dog (on leash with it's owner) shivering like mad when the winds picked up - saddest thing I have seen this month..!!

Mmmuffin wrote: »
    :confused:

seriously!

i am not facing in the direction of south county business park, i am facing the mountain and the M50 so cant see over your direction but seriously, there is no snow falling here, hasnt been anything substantial since before 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

dublin airport to close for up to 2 hours for runway clearing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Graupelling, but building up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Chucking down in Ongar now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

After the graupal comes the lighter fluffy stuff. Alternating between light and heavy. Not going to complain - I would have loved to have gotten even this earlier when we were firmly in 'the shadow'!

(South D15)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

OMG nearly 2 or 3 inches of graupel here in the last 40 minutes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

WallyGUFC wrote: »

I have asked this question twice already and "the Experts" reckon that everywhere west of Athlone will be marginal and less chance the further West you are, there is a risk of freezing rain supposedly? But its to close to call yet, personally and Im not an expert I think based on current temps and predicted temps we could see snowfall along west coast, but perhaps 10-20 miles inland from the coast...Either way there is a big freeze after the front passes so the roads are going to be lethal if it rains or snows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

There has been heavy graupel/snow here in Raheny /Killester on and off for the last couple of hours , still snowing lightly.There's a lot cloud cover and to the North too so I'd say Portmarnock , Malahide and swords must be affected at this stage ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement