Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AquaDaisy

Mr.S wrote: »
    All Dublin Bus services pulled.

Thats a lot of people that are now stranded :o

If your in the city centre, get a taxi home ASAP or else you'll be walking home.

Really??? Where can you see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

bauderline wrote: »
    Dublin airport closed for runway clearing for a minimum of two hours...

Balls! Could be looking at a hotel for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2

anyone who has interest in aviation click the link to hear pandmonium in the skies, i must say our ATC staff are preforming well and earning their crust

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

LookingFor wrote: »
    Not sure if it was already posted, but was news to me - an updated warning from met eireann about 50 mins ago:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    We already have 17 1/2 cm on the Carlow/Kilkenny boarder, and its snowing again heavily.

Cars abandoned on roads in places, think I'll build a sled and harness up the dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

If your in the city centre, get a taxi home ASAP or else you'll be walking home.

Darts are still running. probably delayed though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Where'd you hear this? Radio report?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Where was that announced ? Not on rte update yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

:eek::eek: Its not on their website ! It was updated at 13.45 and only has curtailments listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Made it in from Finglas to Grafton street with relatively little bother. Roads aren't in great condition, but drivable (I got the bus).

If we get a good pelting today, I can see public transport going off line in fairness. One of the girls in the office reported her bus skidding on the quays on her way in :eek:

Cheers.Got a call from the OH who drove in from Kilcock to Dublin 1, parking was a nightmare as you can't even maneuvre (sp) into a spot without getting stuck. He said two buses slid into each other & they've started cancelling them. O'Connell St at a standstill as it's like an ice rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Still agonisingly close to the streamers here in Donabate. Couple of flakes a few minutes ago but shadow is proving very stubborn. Good news is that the northern & southern streamers are the closet they have been all day and wind seems to have changed very slightly. Also clouds out to sea seem to be starting to surround Donabate/Rush and possible Skerries (can't see that far!) although unfortunately looking a lot brighter than the earlier clouds. A bit more of a wind change and we could be in business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Not sure if it's the correct meteorological term for it but it's currently 'fupping' it down in Celbridge :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I'm sitting in heathrow waiting for flight to dub. I take it I'm not going anywhere for at least a few hours ?

Sorry to hear that, but ye, they said they could hav a gap after 2 hours but they arent sure.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

dacogawa wrote: »
    More heading for Dublin CC & south Dublin (should be 30 mins/ 1 hour)

Just a reminder

If you have any elderly or infirm neighbors to check in on them, its fun for us but not for them, thanks :)

Rang dad this morning - no answer, Rang again & again & again - no answer. So suited & booted up. Took 30 min in the blizzards to do a 5 min trip. No answer to door bell. In I go & the big tool is watching John Wayne full blast so didnt hear the phone or door !!:D So I then had to bird watch with him, have a cuppa, etc pain in butt for a freezing me but a happy dad at the end as he got a little visit ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I know how all the people in Dublin areas under the 15km wide Isle of Man snow shadow feel. Think how much worse I feel in Bray though. We have been under a gap between two streamers since before 10am. This gap is about as wide as the seafront is long FFS

Its litterally pelting down all morning long in Greystones on the other side of Bray Head and just up the road on Shankill/Killiney beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Dublin Bus website seems to be down

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Thats what we where told at work and to go home :pac: Dublin Bus website seems to be down, but if you go on twitter and search "dublin bus" its apparently true!

http://twitter.com/#!/search/Dublin%20Bus

Thank f**k I was off today, I would have been walking home!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Map of the Dublin gritters routs in Dublin folks

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1201/snow.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well that the capital shut down then. wouldnt mind that for cork to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Daemonic wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the correct meteorological term for it but it's currently 'fupping' it down in Celbridge :P

It sure is!!!! fupping brilliant! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weather Warning

Issued at 01 December 2010 - 13:39
    Weather Warning
    Bitterly cold weather persisting with frosty icy condtitons and freezing fog in parts too.
    Further snow showers mainly affecting Leinster as well as parts of east Munster and north Ulster.
    Totals of:
    5 to 12cm across east Leinster
    3 to 8cm across inland Leinster
    up to 5cm elsewhere. Greater totals over higher ground here too.
    More snowfall expected Thursday and during Friday. Further regular updates to follow.

Valid from: 13:00 1/12/2010
    Valid to: 13:00 2/12/2010

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Dublin Bus website seems to be down

I'd say thats the volume of people on twitter checking the website to see if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Lovely, lovely, lovely beautiful snow in Celbridge at last :D:D:D:D

Such a great feelign to be out of the shadow.

I'm heading out now for a walk - this weather is far too nice to be stuck indoors :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Have to try and find a way home frome astpoint to lucan! Think train to adamstown is my only option!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Dublin Bus website down. Luas DART will be packed

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Calibos wrote: »
    I know how all the people in Dublin areas under the 15km wide Isle of Man snow shadow feel. Think how much worse I feel in Bray though. We have been under a gap between two streamers since before 10am. This gap is about as wide as the seafront is long FFS

Its litterally pelting down all morning long in Greystones on the other side of Bray Head and just up the road on Shankill/Killiney beach.

Some parts of town have had their share, vevay rd, herbert rd, quinnsboro rd, florence rd & windgates have all been impassible . Some back open though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

to board member who's in london heathrow waiting to go home, it looks like your gonna be stuck there for a while flights have been cancelled according to dublin arrivals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Map of the Dublin gritters routs in Dublin folks

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1201/snow.pdf

Only DCC could use a map that's pre-1995 for a 2010 plan. Irrelevant to the salting routes, but seriously...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Steopo wrote: »
    Still agonisingly close to the streamers here in Donabate. Couple of flakes a few minutes ago but shadow is proving very stubborn. Good news is that the northern & southern streamers are the closet they have been all day and wind seems to have changed very slightly. Also clouds out to sea seem to be starting to surround Donabate/Rush and possible Skerries (can't see that far!) although unfortunately looking a lot brighter than the earlier clouds. A bit more of a wind change and we could be in business

Yeah it got a little darker here in Lusk earlier and I thought maybe, just maybe the snow would grace me with its presence but back to blue sky again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Easing off here in d15 now. Broken skies to the north.

That was fun :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement