Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Dcully wrote: »
    Looks like mighty showers over UK atm, whats the chances of them making it here?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

they look to be dying off by the time they get across the uk but maybe one of the snow experts can give you a more accurate answer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not quite a snow "man", but a bit of one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

the shadow is moving north form what i see. d15 is in line now and it looks like it could be a night of it.

will i round-house the IOM for peace of mind? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

5starpool wrote: »
    Assuming the buses are cancelled the RTE website is a disgrace not having anything up there about it still.
    RTE has it's faults - don't get me wrong, but if Dublin Bus are not even saying it yet, how can RTE be reporting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Just some pictures i took earlier.

00111.jpg

000211.jpg

00311.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Lol, ATC: "It looks like 0700 hours, sorry, 1700 hours. Sorry, I'll say it again, 1900 hours is the earliest opening of the runway"

was hilarious alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Dublin airport is the most listened to ATC in the world at the minute with 116 listeners. Its usually JFK, New York

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

OisinT wrote: »
    Dublin Bus website appears to be working for me.

Any chance you'd copy and paste the message about service cancellations?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think people should be leaving work early before this freezes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dak wrote: »
    Hirlam model showing large bands of precipitation on Friday 1pm onwards

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

COming from the atlantic, though. Rain most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Sssshhhh! Gerry's on the telly. He's whispering!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Any word on the luas? The site is down
    Have heard dublin bus have suspended their services.

Been let out of work at 3 - 3.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

sdonn wrote: »
    Sorry what?

It's three miles from me, and we've had graupel. Once. All day.

They cannot be serious about taking that long to clear the runway, and if they are, and there's no other reason for such a prolonged closure, then they're incompetent and should all be sacked.

(This comes from me with my experience of working in the airport and knowledge of all things aviation, before anyone says anything).

living in Malahide too and it's hardly believable :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i'm currently seeing that storm off the cork coast from my window:(

yeah up here in the Airport now looking out over the S-SW and plenty of heavy clouds out there.. .but clear skys overhead... pity ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,352 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

d'Oracle wrote: »

I would've done so, but their server is hosed now, and is only returning 503's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

d'Oracle wrote: »

There is no mass cancellation. Just some local routes out on the southside.

Edit: Ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

jolly wrote: »
    airport now closed until 1900 according to ATC Dublin. The German pilot/copilot calling in to ATC sounded very surprised if not shocked !

Hold on a minute. I was in Hamburg airport a couple of years ago...snow was light and nothing to what it is in Dublin and they had longer delays...and Hamburg does not get much more snow than Dublin..it is on the coast as well like Amsterdam..get real...check the temperatures ..Dublin is often as cold in not colder than these two places.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Hold on a minute. I was in Hamburg airport a couple of years ago...snow was light and nothing to what it is in Dublin and they had longer delays...and Hamburg does not get much more snow than Dublin..it is on the coast as well like Amsterdam..get real...check the temperatures ..Dublin is often as cold in not colder than these two places.:):):)

Eh, if you do a little bit of research I think you'll find both Amsterdam and Hamburg are significantly more cold than Dublin in winter and receive much more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

vibe666 wrote: »

Brilliant!!

Where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

good 4-5 inches of snow here and the road to greystones is apperently impassable ( only going by aa roadwatch) so looks like were stuck in for the day.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Anyone in D15? How's it looking there? I'm hoping to have another snow day tomorrow :o

Dunshaughlin has been bright and sunny for past couple of hours but still freezing and no thawing. Still 4/5 inches on the ground. Dark clouds moving overhead again. Fingers crossed for more!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Danbo! wrote: »
    Dublin airport is the most listened to ATC in the world at the minute with 116 listeners. Its usually JFK, New York

doing a good job i must say

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

vibe666 wrote: »

Post of the day :D hillarious

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Snowing again in Dun Laoghaire

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,352 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Spear wrote: »
    I would've done so, but their server is hosed now, and is only returning 503's.

Got the list, looks like they restarted the server. It's a bit big, apologies to the mods if it breaks up the thread.

Weather Disruptions
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Updated 13:45

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to adverse weather conditions the diversions and curtailments listed below are in place.

Dublin Bus will make every effort possible to maintain services today, however this will be subject to road and weather conditions. Dublin Bus is continuously monitoring road conditions with An Garda Siochana and the Local Authorities.

Routes Diversion
    1 Operating as normal
    2 Southbound, the Route is operating via the Strand Rd, Sydney Parade Ave to Merrion Rd. Operate back via Merrion Gates, Strand Rd to Irishtown. Unable to serve Sandymount Village or St John's Church..
    3 Northbound, operating via nutley Lane, Merrion Gates, Strand Rd, to Irishtown to the City. Unable to serve Larkhill, operating on the Swords Road, terminating at Omni Shopping Centre. Southbound, the Route is operating via the Strand Rd, Sydney Parade Ave. Unable to serve Sandymount Village.

Terminating at Blackrock (Frascatti). Unable to serve Stradbrook Rd.
    5 Operating as normal
    7 Unable to serve Loughlinstown, operating to Cherrywood only. On the inbound journey, unable to serve Blackrock Village.
    7a Unable to serve Mackintosh Park. Terminating at Rochestown Ave (The Graduate Pub).
    7b Operating as normal
    7d Operating as normal
    8 Operating as normal
    11/a Operating as normal
    11b Operating as normal
    13/a Operating on the main Ballymun Road only, unable to serve Balbutcher, Sillogue, Coultry, Shangan, terminating as normal in IKEA..
    14 Operating as normal
    14a Unable to serve Milltown Road/Dropping Well , operating on Route 14.
    15 Operating as normal
    15a Operating as normal
    15b Terminating at Taylor's Lane
    15e Operating as normal
    15f Operating as normal
    16 Operating as normal
    16a Operating as normal
    17 Operating as normal
    17a Operating as normal
    18 Terminating at RDS.
    19 Unable to serve Tolka Estate.
    19a Operating as normal
    20b Terminating at Artane castle, unable to serve Maryfield Drive.
    25 Operating as normal
    25a Unable to serve Foxborough.
    25b Unable to serve Foxborough.
    25x Operating as normal
    26 Operating as normal
    27 Unable to serve the Loop through Darndale, operating on the Malahide Rd only.
    27b Unable to serve Castletimon. operating via Dundaniel Rd/Killbarron Rd.
    27x Operating as normal
    29a Unable to serve St Annes Estate
    31 Terminating at Howth Harbour, unable to serve Hill of Howth.
    31b Terminating at Howth Harbour, unable to serve Hill of Howth.
    32/b Operating as normal
    32a

Operating as normal
    32x Operating as normal
    33 Operating as normal
    33a Operating as normal
    33b Terminating outside Portrane hospital, unable to access hospital grounds.
    33d Operating as normal
    33x Operating as normal
    37 Unable to serve Skreen Road, Blackhorse Ave, operating on the current Route 39 routing.
    38 Operating as normal
    38a Operating as normal
    39 Operating as normal
    39a Operating as normal
    40/a Unable to serve Finglas South, operating from N2 slip road and on to Mellowes Road.
    40d Operating via Mellowes Road. Unable to serve Finglas South, the corporate park or Tyrellstown outbound, Tyrellstown OK inbound.
    41 Operating as normal
    41b Unable to serve Rolestown. Terminating in Swords Manor
    41c Operating as normal
    41x Operating as normal
    42 Terminating at Sands Hotel, operating via Coast Rd only. Unable to serve Wendel Ave or Seamount.
    42a/b Unable to serve Edenmore, Harmondstown or McAuley, operating via Malahide Rd, terminating at Darndale Roundabout.
    43 Operating as normal
    44 Terminating in Kilternan. Unble to serve Enniskerry or Ballyogan.
    44b Terminating at Blue Church, Kilternan.
    45 Terminating at Bray Station. Unable to serve Clonkeen Rd/Deans Grange Rd. Operating via N11 to Mount Merrion Ave.
    45a Terminating at Bray Station. Unable to serve Killarney Lane.
    46a Operating as normal
    46e Operating as normal
    47 Operating from Leopardstown roundabout only.
    48a Operating as normal
    49 Unable to serve Ballycullen, operating via Firhouse Rd and Firhouse Rd West.
    49a Unable to serve Ballycullen, operating via Firhouse Rd and Firhouse Rd West.
    50 Unable to serve Killinarden Estate, Mayberry Road or Kilnamanagh.
    51 Operating as normal
    51b

Unable to serve Bawnogue, operating via Nangor Rd. Unable to serve Woodford/Cherrywood, operating via Monastery Rd.
    51c Unable to serve Woodford/Cherrywood, operating via Monastery Rd.
    51d Operating as normal
    51x Operating as normal
    53 On North Quays only to/from The Point.
    53a On North Quays only to/from The Point.
    54a Unable to serve Fortfield Road, terminating at Marlfield Roundabout.
    56/a Unable to serve Kingswood Heights. Operating via Ballymount Road, Embankment Road and Belgard Road, terminating outside The Square, Tallaght.
    59 Terminating in Dalkey, operating between Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire only.
    63 Unable to serve Kilternan, Ballyogan Estate or Glenamuck, terminating at Cornelscourt.
    65 Terminating at Blessington
    65b Unable to serve Killinarden Estate.
    66 Operating as normal
    66a Unable to serve Captains Hill, operating to Lousia Bridge.
    66b Operating as normal
    66x Operating as normal
    67 Operating as normal
    67x Operating as normal
    68 Unable to serve Baldonnel.
    69 Operating as normal
    69x Operating as normal
    70 Operating as normal
    74 Unable to serve Stocking Avenue or Upper Ballycullen Road, operating via Lower Ballycullen Rd, Killinney Rd and terminating at Scholarstown Road.
    74a Unable to serve Stocking Avenue, terminating at Scholarstown Road.
    75 Terminating outside The Square, Tallaght.
    76 Unable to serve New Rd, Clondalkin. Operating via Convent Rd/Fonthill Rd. Terminating outside The Square, Tallaght.
    76a Unable to serve New Rd, Clondalkin. Operating via Convent Rd/Fonthill Rd.
    76b Unable to serve New Rd, Clondalkin. Operating via Convent Rd/Fonthill Rd.
    77 Operating as normal
    77a Operating as normal
    77x Operating as normal
    78/a Unable to serve Neillstown and Fonthill Road. Operating from Power City to Liffey Valley. Unable to serve Bridge St, Thomas St & Killmainham
    79/a Operating on Ballyfermot Road to Cherry Orchard Hospital only. Unable to serve Decies Rd.
    83 Operating via Rathgar, Terenure Road West, KCR and Kimmage Road to Sundrive Road and then back on to normal routing.
    84 Terminating at Bray Station.
    84x Terminating at Southern Cross Rd, unable to serve Newcastle, Kilcoole or Greystones
    90 Operating as normal
    102 Operating as normal
    104 Operating as normal
    111 Operating as normal
    114 Operating to Kilcross only.
    116 Operating as normal
    118 Operating as normal
    120 Unable to serve Dowth Ave, operating via Carnlough Rd (Route 122).
    121 Unable to serve QuarryRoad, operating via Carnlough Rd (Route 122). Unable to serve Francis St, operating via Patricks St.
    122 Unable to serve Ashington, terminating on the Navan Rd at the Halfway House .
    123 Unable to serve Marino, operating via Phillipsburgh Ave
    128 Terminating at Clare Hall Rd (Donaghmede Roundabout), unable to serve Clongriffin. Terminating at Kellys Corner, unable to serve Palmerston Park and Rathmines.
    130 Terminating at Clontarf Depot, unable to serve Castle Ave.
    140 Operating as normal
    142 Operating as normal
    145 Terminating at Bray Station.
    150 Unable to serve Rossmore, terminating at Wellington Roundabout.
    151 Not serving East Rd, terminating at Docklands Rail Station.
    161 Unable to serve Whitechurch, operate via Taylor's Lane
    184 Cancelled
    185 Cancelled.
    210 Operating as normal
    220 Unable to serve Finglas South.
    236 Operating as normal
    238 Unable to serve Tyrellstown.
    239 Unable to serve Lucan Village, Operating via the bypass, M50.
    270 Operating as normal
    747 Operating as normal
    748 Operating as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

compsys wrote: »
    Eh, if you do a little bit of research I think you'll find both Amsterdam and Hamburg are significantly more cold than Dublin in winter and receive much more snow.

No they are not...look at last weeks temperatures in the Irish Times. There is generally very little in it..all three are coastal..look at temperatures over next week or two. Dublin has been colder than Amsterdam for the past week bar yesterday.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

ffarrell7 wrote: »

it doesn't snow often enough in dub to justify the millions to be spent on very very very expensive snow clearing machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Anyone in D15? How's it looking there? I'm hoping to have another snow day tomorrow :o

Dunshaughlin has been bright and sunny for past couple of hours but still freezing and no thawing. Still 4/5 inches on the ground. Dark clouds moving overhead again. Fingers crossed for more!

It's stopped snowing now in Ashtown, but we got a lot in the last shower...
    More forecast in the next half hour too...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Brilliant!!

Where is that?
    no idea, but i got it from a mate in scotland and the guy in it is scottish so i reckon "somewhere in scotland" is a safe bet. couldn't tell you more than that anyway, sorry. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Everyone put on Sky NEws :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement