Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Snowing again Newcastle Co Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Looking at sat 24 the irish sea has gone very quiet :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Light flurry of snow here near Moate, streamer has shifted slightly north which is better for this location. Even a few showers here will cause difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Dublin airport had about 15 mins of snow/hail (all day) and it's closed the runway for 4 hours? What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

drdeadlift wrote: »
    it doesn't snow often enough in dub to justify the millions to be spent on very very very expensive snow clearing machines.

Id doesn't snow enough in a lot of capitals in Western Europe. I lived in Paris for 7 years ( a deux pas du quartier latin) and it doesn't snoe much there either. In fact in can get colder than Dublin as it is more inland but it does not snow much. In fact it snows a lot less than Dublin in terms of volume. :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Hold on a minute. I was in Hamburg airport a couple of years ago...snow was light and nothing to what it is in Dublin and they had longer delays...and Hamburg does not get much more snow than Dublin..it is on the coast as well like Amsterdam..get real...check the temperatures ..Dublin is often as cold in not colder than these two places.:):):)

Agreed, Hamburg is prone to delays and cancellations. Amsterdam is a bloody joke! But other parts of germany are a different story, and so is most of poland. I lived in Berlin for a year and the only time flights were cancelled is when the windspeed is too high (some regulation were flights can't take off or land over a certain windspeed), snow has little or no effect on flights in and out....unless theres an actual blizzard with high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It has hardly stopped snowing in Dublin 8 since 8.45am this morning, incredible, so much snow ! so strange to see so much snow lying in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

SantryRed wrote: »
    Everyone put on Sky NEws :pac:

snow in the uk???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Light flurry of snow here near Moate, streamer has shifted slightly north which is better for this location. Even a few showers here will cause difficulty.

Yeah wind forecast suggests a slightly more easterly flow for the next 5/6 hours before shifting back to to a more northerly direction... until Friday that is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sorry - dupe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

THE SNOW IS FANTASTIC AND MORE SEEMS TO BE COMING
    i took a measurement in the middle of my back garden to see how deep it is
    sorry about the picture quality it was taken with my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    snow in the uk???

No, there was a reporter doing a report in one of the towns in the UK and the kids were pelting him with snowballs while he was doing it. Was gas :pac:

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    Agreed, Hamburg is prone to delays and cancellations. Amsterdam is a bloody joke! But other parts of germany are a different story, and so is most of poland. I lived in Berlin for a year and the only time flights were cancelled is when the windspeed is too high (some regulation were flights can't take off or land over a certain windspeed), snow has little or no effect on flights in and out....unless theres an actual blizzard with high winds.

Yes Steve, you are right there!! Berlin is another story and so is Poland and the rest of Eastern Europe!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

getting all blizzardy looking in navan again on my snowcam. :)

out.jpg
    (F5 to refresh)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My friend who works in Dublin City Centre just text me to tell me all the buses in town have stopped and dumped everyone off wherever they are and now there are thousands of people falling all over the place. I couldn't help but laugh :o

SantryRed wrote: »
    No, there was a reporter doing a report in one of the towns in the UK and the kids were pelting him with snowballs while he was doing it. Was gas :pac:

ahhhh that lol. yeah one of the camera men got hit by a snow ball and the reporter didnt bat an eyelid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dublin airport had about 15 mins of snow/hail (all day) and it's closed the runway for 4 hours? What a joke.

Hmmm by the sounds of this DAA report it has been snowing heavily all day?
    Siobhan Moore of the DAA said the decision was taken for safety reasons and snow is falling quicker than it can be cleared.

smokin ace wrote: »
    THE SNOW IS FANTASTIC AND MORE SEEMS TO BE COMING
    i took a measurement in the middle of my back garden to see how deep it is
    sorry about the picture quality it was taken with my phone

WOW :eek: almost a foot of snow. Tried to do that earlier, about 5 inches here in south dublin. There was about 2-3 inches left in my back garden from saturday but that is now solid ice sitting under the fresh snow.

My friend who works in Dublin City Centre just text me to tell me all the buses in town have stopped and dumped everyone off wherever they are and now there are thousands of people falling all over the place. I couldn't help but laugh :o

awwwww

In imagination land maybe. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

DIT to close at 4pm until noon tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

1506 Dublin Bus has advised that there is currently a limited service operating on all routes.

This is due to extreme weather and icy road conditions. This is being further worsened by traffic congestion and slow speeds across the city.

The company is making every effort to maintain a level of service but this is proving very difficult due to the worsening road conditions.

Are DB not operating...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Something just leaving Liverpool now (and not a ferry) which may pep up activity on the east coast later? http://www.sat24.com/gb

It has been snowing quite a lot in Dublin airport...this airport is getting used to heavy snowfall again...last three years especially and brother working there for DHL. Hoever down the road in Malahide and Portmarnock a lot less.
    Who eve rsaid 15 minutes is on the weed or something else..probably someone from Cork!!!:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Snowing heavy again in Waterford City, not as heavy as last night but still nice.

Live Webcam and Live Data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    WOW :eek: almost a foot of snow. Tried to do that earlier, about 5 inches here in south dublin. There was about 2-3 inches left in my back garden from saturday but that is now solid ice sitting under the fresh snow.

i know its great :D:D:D:D
    LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Thunder in Dublin City.

Yes Steve, you are right there!! Berlin is another story and so is Poland and the rest of Eastern Europe!!:D:D

If snow affected berlin airport they would just be better off closing it for about 3-4 months :D:D haha! Hope your enjoying the snow.

WOOOOW...massive rumble of thunder. Loving this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Thundersnow in Dublin 6!

• Advertisement

What are ya like. I'm practically looking at (one of) the runways. There's about 1cm or 2 of FRESH snow this late morning, afternoon.
    It has been snowing quite a lot in Dublin airport...this airport is getting used to heavy snowfall again...last three years especially and brother working there for DHL. Hoever down the road in Malahide and Portmarnock a lot less.
    Who eve rsaid 15 minutes is on the weed or something else..probably someone from Cork!!!:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement