Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ohhhh.....big thunder! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thunder in dunleer , county louth and snow

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Thunder & lightning, snow shower in crumlin

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

lightning in Booterstown:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

Just saw flash of lightening and then a loud clap of thunder. Graupel here now and been snowing/graupeling for past 2 hours on and off. North Rathmines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Just heard thunder in D7/D15...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Wowwww...thunder, lightning and seriously heavy graupel in Rathfarnham!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

fantastic, doesnt even have to snow down here and get a txt from college, due to the weather there will be no classes until tomorrow 10am. another lie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Something just leaving Liverpool now (and not a ferry) which may pep up activity on the east coast later? http://www.sat24.com/gb

that'll loop and hit us in dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    No they are not...look at last weeks temperatures in the Irish Times. There is generally very little in it..all three are coastal..look at temperatures over next week or two. Dublin has been colder than Amsterdam for the past week bar yesterday.:):)

So based on one week's worth of temperatures, here is colder than Amsterdam all the time :rolleyes:
    That's like when we have a 'heatwave' for a week in the summer and have hotter weather than in Spain, it's just a freak occurrance.

Pelting down in D6 now, big flash of lightning a minute ago too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

No they are not...look at last weeks temperatures in the Irish Times. There is generally very little in it..all three are coastal..look at temperatures over next week or two. Dublin has been colder than Amsterdam for the past week bar yesterday.:):)

You can't take one week's temperatures and use that to justify that climatically Dublin is warmer than Amsterdam or Hamburg. Dublin is going through an exceptionally cold spell. It's not usually this cold. Also, here are this week's temps for Hamburg which are way colder than Dublin's anyway.

http://weather.yahoo.com/germany/hamburg/hamburg-656958/?unit=c

Also, look at both these links. They CLEARLY show that average temperatures in Dublin are way milder in winter. I don't know why you think Dublin is colder than Holland or Germany in winter.

Both Amsterdam and Hamburg have a continental climate. Dublin has a maritime climate. To say a continental climate is warmer than a maritime one in winter is bonkers.

http://weather.yahoo.com/netherlands/north-holland/amsterdam-727232/
    http://weather.yahoo.com/netherlands/north-holland/amsterdam-727232/

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Consistent heavy snow in D14. Already 3 inches since midnight. Seriously folks, we're getting over a foot of snow in ONE week at the VERY beginning of Winter.

What are we in for??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

rather glad i dont have to go up to dublin at any point this week. glad it's next week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Few pics i took on my phone of the frozen canal an hour ago in Monasterevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I understand all about the Isle of Man Snow Shadow and sea tracks and all that, but can any of the experts explain why there seems to be a 2km gap between streamers consistently all day since 10am with that gap tracking directly over Brayall effing day!! I have an unimpeded sea track to Blackpool FFS The rest of Wicklow has Anglsey massively shortening their sea track and they are getting monster streamers all day long.

What makes it even worse is that with the IOM snow shadow its a pretty straight cloud streamer shadow with parallel cloud banks etc. The Bray gap is a like a river that meanders all over the shop across the irish sea and yet this end of the gap seems to be tethered over Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Id doesn't snow enough in a lot of capitals in Western Europe. I lived in Paris for 7 years ( a deux pas du quartier latin) and it doesn't snoe much there either. In fact in can get colder than Dublin as it is more inland but it does not snow much. In fact it snows a lot less than Dublin in terms of volume. :):):)

The cost of the equipment would be a much bigger burden on the daa budget.Airports like ams cdg and frankfurt get an awful lot more traffic,maybe at least twice/three times more traffic so they afford what equipment they need with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Snow has stopped falling here(Palmerstown) No wind either. Sky is cloudy with some blue patches scattered about.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

fullstop wrote: »
    So based on one week's worth of temperatures, here is colder than Amsterdam all the time :rolleyes:
    That's like when we have a 'heatwave' for a week in the summer and have hotter weather than in Spain, it's just a freak occurrance.

Pelting down in D6 now, big flash of lightning a minute ago too.

don't think so ..do your research..and by the way the Summers as you call them are pretty crap in Amsterdam as well. Brussels is no better (I lived there too although not nearly as pretty as Amsterdam..even wetter):D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Pelting down on and odd here in Dublin 5.

Roads are in bits and looks as though a big heffer of a cloud is approaching again!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Snow let up for about 5 mins and now blizzard like conditions again. how is navan going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Consistent heavy snow in D14. Already 3 inches since midnight. Seriously folks, we're getting over a foot of snow in ONE week at the VERY beginning of Winter.

What are we in for??

Don't jinx it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

don't think so ..do your research..and by the way the Summers as you call them are pretty crap in Amsterdam as well. Brussels is no better (I lived there too although not nearly as pretty as Amsterdam..even wetter):D:D

Eh, I think you need to do yours unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i reckon this is going to be an EPIC week for snow. :D

i'm no expert, but from what i've seen and read here I'm pretty sure we're still only seeing the start of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Calibos wrote: »
    I understand all about the Isle of Man Snow Shadow and sea tracks and all that, but can any of the experts explain why there seems to be a 2km gap between streamers consistently all day since 10am with that gap tracking directly over Brayall effing day!! I have an unimpeded sea track to Blackpool FFS The rest of Wicklow has Anglsey massively shortening their sea track and they are getting monster streamers all day long.

Its weird that and works in reverse a lot. Greystones is bone dry while Bray gets soaked, i wonder does the sugar loaf have anything to do with it?

EDIT: Its smashing down here again! sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

compsys wrote: »
    Eh, I think you need to do yours unfortunately.

Just drop it. I only correspond with erudites for any length of tem.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Got sent home from work early as the roads are so bad in Phibsboro after this afternoon's downpour! Roads were like glass. All busses in the area just pulled over and the drivers refused to go any further. Pity anyone who has to travel later on this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

the met has said the winds have changed to light SE now, http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Dublin#
    loads of the nice white stuff in D4 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

The IR seems to suggest a change to more easterly flow to my eye. Anyone else think? I cant tell from raintoday because some frames arent loading.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You really have no clue. And what do you call 'Summers'? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

We had a flash of lightning and some thunder in Templeogue about 10 mins ago. Followed by a very heavy hail shower.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement