Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Ha yea i couldnt remember the p/w for my old username so i checked a few emails and found this one :D thought ide join in the chat.

Temp is dropping slowly again for the coastal regions, i dont think tonight will be a repeat of Monday's dissapointment for us along the coastal north dub. but with high LI and similar win dir, we almost have perfect conditions for a nice storm :pac:

Welcome back, good fun this snow watching!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fiona5

here in clogga arklow.more or less snowed in.n11 not to bad:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wow , those streamers out on the Irish sea look huge :eek: Will they stay that way or break up , where are they heading ?

They'll stay that way and head for Greystones a stones throw from Bray..................

Like they have all %$*ing day. :mad::mad:

1 poxy inch hail and graupel combo from 10am this morning is our lot down here near Bray seafront. Add up all the 2,3,5 minute showers we have had during the day and Bray has had about 20 minutes total of showers Greystones on the other hand has had 20 minutes all day.......where it didn't bucket down snow!!. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Havn't had any snow here since 2pm...
    I guess the shadow moved over us again...

Praying for a change in the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ciaranm wrote: »
    Boss still won't let us leave. Tallaght, D24.

Is the southside due another blanket of snow soon?

Tell him you feel unsafe and that you're leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Rain today is a mess at the moment, some nice looking streamers heading this way but nothing for the past 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Calibos wrote: »
    They'll stay that way and head for Greystones a stones throw from Bray..................

Like they have all %$*ing day. :mad::mad:

1 poxy inch hail and graupel combo from 10am this morning is our lot down here near Bray seafront. Add up all the 2,3,5 minute showers we have had during the day and Bray has had about 20 minutes total of showers Greystones on the other hand has had 20 minutes all day.......where it didn't bucket down snow!!. :mad::mad:

Amazing how it works, we are at 18 inches deep now where i am and Lucan 6-7 km away hasn't had a sniff today.....amazing weather system

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Warning UV index for some areas is 1 today :eek:....thank god night has come...;)

Ha yea i couldnt remember the p/w for my old username so i checked a few emails and found this one :D thought ide join in the chat.

Temp is dropping slowly again for the coastal regions, i dont think tonight will be a repeat of Monday's dissapointment for us along the coastal north dub. but with high LI and similar win dir, we almost have perfect conditions for a nice storm :pac:

So afta 6 yirs ye come back and tink ye know it all eh? why I oughta... )))):D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fiona5

snowing again here in arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Just thinking about the people that have to make a commute home this evening. Say a prayer for them and hope everyone makes it home to their families, its going to be very tough on some people and what should be a short safe journey, is going to be a long dangerous one. Keep the speed down guys and leave plenty of distance to the car in front.
    indeed. for anyone driving in the snow & ice this evening, good luck and stay safe.

the trick to driving in the snow and ice is to imagine you don't have any brakes at all and drive accordingly (slowly and thinking as far ahead as you can see) because there's a good chance that when it comes to it, you won't actually have any braking power at all.

lift off the accelerator and let your revs slow you down, then change down a gear to slow yourself further. no sudden movements, just feather the throttle and steering and try not to 'panic brake' or you'll just slide. give yourself and everyone around you plenty of room and keep imagining that everyone else around you is an idiot that has no idea how to drive in the snow and position yourself on the road accordingly.

just about out of usable light for my snowcam, so i'm going to turn it off shortly till its light in the morning.

out.jpg

good luck everyone, i'm off out in the jeep to take some pics and see if anyone needs rescuing out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

From the uk met website it looks like those streamers have picked up & are getting thick at the England end

Web_radar.gif

good old met eireann have our next shower on radar though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

premiercad wrote: »
    Web_radar.gif

good old met eireann have our next shower on radar though! :D

Please tell me thats not tracking southwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

please tell me limerick will see some of that! Not a sniff of snow here.

I miss the zoom on raintoday.co.uk but I'm not giving you any money (your product doesn't even work properly) :)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone know what the story with Waterford is?
    Any more snow? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭diamondgirl

Amazing how it works, we are at 18 inches deep now where i am and Lucan 6-7 km away hasn't had a sniff today.....amazing weather system

Dont know who told you no snow in lucan. Im in lucan and its been snowing on & off all day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Just a further tip to people driving automatics, use the L and 2 gear to slow you down a bit, particularly slopes. That's the automatics only equivalent to slowing down gears.

Worked for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Snow pretty much all day here in South Carlow, but pretty light at the moment. The council have been doing a great job keeping the roads gritted and traffic moving, but have been fighting a losing battle for the past hour or so. Just shy of 6 inches has fallen since 10pm last night, and thats on top of the 3 or 4 inches that was there since the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 LostChild

Some posters in Sandyford are saying that the snow is light/no snow etc.... I am in Aikens Village and it hardly stopped snowing all day. At least 6 inches lying here, and the snow drifting against the walls is 10 inches high. Lambs cross junction was closed by the guards last night and there are cars abandoned on the Enniskerry road. If you are heading up here to Aikens Village/Belarmine/Stepaside take care especially in the estates.

Any more snow? smile.gif

radar looks like a shower just heading your way now?? more dunmore direction

deise_girl wrote: »

yep, some on the way soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mink wrote: »
    Just a further tip to people driving automatics, use the L and 2 gear to slow you down a bit, particularly slopes. That's the automatics only equivalent to slowing down gears.

Worked for me today.

Thanks for this. This is the main reason why i didn't risk driving my car in this weather.........I have(had) no idea how to drive in these conditions. I was afraid of how the car would react to the snow/ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Any chance Dublin Bus will be back running today? Called several taxi firms, none of them are operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

dacogawa wrote: »
    I miss the zoom on raintoday.co.uk but I'm not giving you any money (your product doesn't even work properly) :)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

look at the beautiful pink and blue off the coast of cork:(

Another vid of the Naas road from earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pa99

There was a good link to all the traffic cams during the week. All the M50 major junctions.

Anyone have it handy. Considering the off for work :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

deise_girl wrote: »

Blizzard in Waterford city at the moment. That will probably be the last shower for a few hours.

Live Data and Webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thebiglewbowski

Wind speed will reduce slightly over Irish sea in coming few hours aiding convection, But I think the wind is against us again in North Dub for this next band.
    ukwind.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement