Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete tools on the roads!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Lol, some gob****e on my estate was driving one of those gay little bikes around, he skidded and went flying into the field, taking out a snowman.

This snow is bollocks, I've to get the horrible disgusting bus to work because I've never driven on icy roads before and I'm not risking it.

I need practise though and I've no idea how to go about it, my estate is a death trap at the moment!

Has anybody seen the car parks at Liffey Valley actually? They're unbelieveably bad, cars are just skidding all over the place and I've seen 5 (minor) accidents in the last 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

On the M9 this morning there was no salt or grit, just one rough lane cars had made through the snow. 2 articulated trucks with foreign regs overtook a few cars as well as myself in the other lane which was fairly unfit for driving in. They threw up a ton of snow and mad visibility 0 for a few seconds. The recklessness was unbelievable. There was no way they could even see if there were cars alongside when they pulled back in. I know they have more traction than me but my corolla isn't going to jackknife or crush another car.:mad:

Well said Jim the M9 bad this morning. There was a 4x4 in a gripe going northbound facing the wrong direction. There only traffic that was using the overtaking lanes were lorries. At the next Exit I got off and turned back and went home.

I did meet a couple of drivers on their mobile phones too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Kiera wrote: »
    So what? I drive slow because I crashed last year in this weather. So if you’re behind me and I’m driving slow, tough fúcking shít!

With all due respect, it sounds like you're incapable of driving in these conditions and could be a danger to others on the road. You should take public transport instead of being a hazard to both yourself and others.

I agree that people need to drive at speeds safe for the conditions but those that drive well under that speed frustrate other drivers which may lead to unsafe overtaking.

Please take public transport or get a lift with a friend who is capable of driving at the proper safe speed in these bad conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Some12 wrote: »
    With all due respect, it sounds like you're incapable of driving in these conditions and could be a danger to others on the road. You should take public transport instead of being a hazard to both yourself and others.

I agree that people need to drive at speeds safe for the conditions but those that drive well under that speed frustrate other drivers which may lead to unsafe overtaking.

Please take public transport or get a lift with a friend who is capable of driving at the proper safe speed in these bad conditions.

Read the rest of my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That's the other driver's fault, if a driver can't keep calm in these conditions they shouldn't be driving either.

What your saying is total crap tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

So what happened last year then Kiera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I wish people would stay off the roads if they're not sure of themselves.

They're the real fúcking morons if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

With all due respect,if someone thinks unsafe overtaking in this weather is a good idea then they should be the ones taking public transport, and maybe re-sit their test!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

There's only one solution..
    Everyone is going to have to but a Citroen.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

orourkeda wrote: »
    Can anyone here say that they are surprised by the standard of driving on irish roads?

^^uneducated comment. Irish drivers are not bad drivers when compared to the vast majority of the whole planet.

• Advertisement

bigbadbear wrote: »
    ^^uneducated comment. Irish drivers are not bad drivers when compared to the vast majority of the whole planet.

Now that's a very ill informed comment.
    I won't say uneducated though.

Irish drivers, as a WHOLE, are disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

With all due respect,if someone thinks unsafe overtaking in this weather is a good idea then they should be the ones taking public transport, and maybe re-sit their test!

I agree. I'm that driver that stays behind the slow driver because it's unsafe to overtake - wishing the person in front would be the one taking public transport.

Being frustrated is no excuse for unsafe driving but it happens and is a danger to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Trying to navigate my way ouf of the girlfriends estate yesterday morning to bring the kids to school. There's a hill on the way out with two speed bumps on it :rolleyes: Hill was doable but slippy. Car ahead of me get's on it so I wait at the bottom until it's got up. What do the other fools do? Drive around me, slip, slide, and skid until three of them have both lanes blocked. Fcuking morons. My only regret is they didn't do dogem' cars down the hill because they deserved it for being that impatient. You slip on ice and you loose control. Stay the hell away from other cars and have a bit of patience and cop on.

SV wrote: »

compared to where? Germany? Norway? Maybe. but bery few other places. I used to think Irish drivers were really bad but we're not that bad really. Drivers in every country are bad drivers. Each country complains about the standard of their drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

In my opinion, these are the people who should be walking & taking the bus as they are just as dangerous to other drivers as idiots speeding & doing dangerous overtaking.

Have you tried either of these? I can inform you they arent any safer.
    Bus drivers let on to many people and drive about 5mph
    The footpaths are death traps. It took me 40 min to walk a 15 min walk as I was afraid of skidding off the path onto the road.

This morning I feared for the bus skidding back down a steap hill because of the amount of people on the bus, theres no seat belts or nothing in these buses so it be a mess if it crashed.

And its is not always possible either, some have no choice but to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Monday evening I was leaving Dublin on the M50, it was snowing and the roads were not great so traffic was doing about 80 km/h, a double trailer livestock lorry (one of the biggest, heaviest vehicles on the road) flew past me on the fast lane and was no doubt doing well over 100km/h. No only was it doing that speed but it was weaving in and out of lanes when it got the opportunity. About 30 seconds after it had passed me another livestock lorry passed me doing exactly the same. It would not surprise me one bit if the two of them were racing each other. Complete gobshítes whoever those two drivers were.

compared to where? Germany? Norway? Maybe. but bery few other places. I used to think Irish drivers were really bad but we're not that bad really. Drivers in every country are bad drivers. Each country complains about the standard of their drivers.

Compared to India if you want.

I think you may be comparing countries based on them having very little rules of the road being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I think the bottom line is, if your not confident enough to drive in these conditions, don’t!
    You can tell some drivers are terrified, this morning an old dear driving out of my estate, pulled out right in front of me and slammed into the curb… WTF? She could see me coming but accelerated when she saw me. Go home you idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

public transport
    the bus
    You should take public transport
    public transport

There must have been phenomenal improvements in public transport around the whole of the country since I last used it for all the people advocating its use.

Compared to India if you want.

I think you may be comparing countries based on them having very little rules of the road being enforced.

america, canada, mexico, spain, portugal, turkey, poland, etc etc. even england

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

my 2 or 4 cents as a driver who switched to public transport(2 buses and a walk to get to work)...

Jeep drivers - gross generalisation here but many don't know how to handle the vehicle on dry roads, nevermind any other conditions. alot bought Jeeps for the "buggy" space rather than the offroading functions

again, gross generalisation but Irish drivers do not have a road conditions test as part of their license requirement and therefore do not actually know what to do. so unless you have experience driving on snow/ice, i wouldn't assume you know how to handle it. figuring it out as you go along is not an option

i have a front wheel drive car, but its completely useless, like every other vehicle, when you hit a spot of black ice at a junction merging with a main road - no brakes at all. happened to me last year.
    scared the bejebus out of me.
    it was a cheap lesson and so i abandoned the idea of driving at all in these conditions.

crikey, i'm having enough trouble being vertical in my snow boots!

can all the girls complaining of falling in the snow or slipping on ice, please realise that stilettos/high heeled boots/converse runners do not have traction. wear your uggs (or similiar) and bring the nice shoes in a bag

america, canada, mexico, spain, portugal, turkey, poland, etc etc. even england

lol, jaysus
    that's optimistic of you!
    Cannot speak for America, I've never seen a single instance of bad driving during time I've spent in Canada. I see it every single day in Ireland.
    Same applies to Spain and Portugal.
    Not sure of Turkey or Poland.

As for England, you're dreaming with that one.
    Their level of driving, as a WHOLE(it's important you remember this one) is far better than Ireland.

Ireland is a joke for the best part. We're the laughing stock of the world. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I wouldn't blame them, take a look at the roads there forced to drive on :pac:

lol, jaysus
    Cannot speak for America, I've never seen a single instance of bad driving during time I've spent in Canada. I see it every single day in Ireland.
    Not sure of Turkey or Poland.

As for England, you're dreaming with that one.
    Their level of driving, as a WHOLE(it's important you remember this one) is far better than Ireland.

Ireland is a joke for the best part. We're the laughing stock of the world. :)
    I live in Canada.:) As a whole you're right about England. Irish drivers are grand though. Of only we learned how to drive on motorways.

People should definitely get proper tyres if theyre goin to be driving in the snow too.

Its a shame we havent got enough snow ploughs to clear all the main roads properly. it would pay itself off in the long run i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

To say that Irish Drivers as a whole are bad is a simplistic overgeneralisation.

Given the confusing state of the roads and signage and the general weather conditions, wet and foggy most of the time, most drivers do reasonably well out there on Irish roads. Some people don't drive well and the police enforcement is patchy but to call ALL irish drivers bad is not accurate.

We are situated beside one of the safest countries in the world (UK) so look bad in comparison.

Major sins on Irish roads:
    Bad signage and crap junction layouts, try Celbridge, Clane, Maynooth etc...crazy junction layouts and poor signage.

People who do not clean their lights and windows before driving, snow rain and mist can reduce visibility and cause accidents.

Drunk driving. Heard an article about this in Donegal where long distances, zero public transport and need for social contact make people still chance drink driving on a regular basis in spite of all the deaths up there.

People going too fast on roads posted 60/80 kph.

People hogging the outside lane "enforcing" 60/80 kph when thay are not cops and have no business blocking and enraging some "fast" driver and possibly leading to an accident.

Cyclists who do not follow traffic lights, one-way signs or other traffic signs but put in huge compo claims if even touched by a car..........

Motorists who put in huge claims for fictituous neck injuries based on the flimsiest of evidence, driving up the cost of insurance for everybody else.

Crap road markings which do not last one winter and lead to confusion and ambiguity about what is a major road, what is the minor road etc... Meath is full of these.

Trees and bushes allowed to grow over speed limit, stop signs etc so that motorists do not know about the need to slow down or stop because the council do not know how to use a hedge clippers or couldn't be bothered. The insurance companies should be agitating for a better level of road sign maintenance, but it is easier to load on more premia on the motorists.........

Crap lights on cars at night........get some bulbs!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Saw a young lad being stretchered into an ambulance yesterday after switching too fast into a slip lane, car was in bits as was he-it wasnt a good sight.

Its not worth it lads, slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

If you dont want to be stuck behind someone going slow then get the bus or walk like you did.

There is every excuse for driving slow on some of the road out my way!

No. Never. It's inconsiderate of you to expect everyone else to kow-tow to your inability to drive at an appropriate speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

lol, jaysus
    Cannot speak for America, I've never seen a single instance of bad driving during time I've spent in Canada...
    :)

Ah here now, Spanish drivers are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Wrong!

You have no idea what kind of roads I am driving slow on! My estate is like an ice rink so yes, I am going to drive slow. I’m not some idiot who’s going to do 10km on a gritted road!

You never said that. Estates are different. Driving at the appropriate speed is the critical element.

On a main, public road you have to adjust your speed (upward) from driving in an estate.

You need to use cop on and common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

No. Never. It's inconsiderate of you to expect everyone else to kow-tow to your inability to drive at an appropriate speed.

You do realise you are expecting people to do the same thing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement