Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete tools on the roads!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

You never said that. Estates are different. Driving at the appropriate speed is the critical element.

On a main, public road you have to adjust your speed (upward) from driving in an estate.

You need to use cop on and common sense.

You also need to read peoples posts before quoting them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Have you tried either of these? I can inform you they arent any safer.

I've been overtaking cars all week with no problems whatsoever.

I fitted a brand new set of winter tyres 2 weeks ago to one of my cars & I know how to drive properly on icy roads.. which is to stay in high gears to reduce torque, avoid quick acceleration & to use engine breaking rather than the brakes (as there's little traction between tyres & ice).

I've also reduced my speed slightly, so I've been no less safe that I would be if the roads were clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

doolox wrote: »
    Trees and bushes allowed to grow over speed limit, stop signs etc so that motorists do not know about the need to slow down or stop because the council do not know how to use a hedge clippers or couldn't be bothered. The insurance companies should be agitating for a better level of road sign maintenance, but it is easier to load on more premia on the motorists.........

I'd agree with most of your points except this one. No competent driver should need a sign telling them what the correct speed is. A proper driver drives at the appropriate speed for the road and the conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

dubtom wrote: »
    You should drive at a speed the conditions determine, 25mph= 40kph is way too fast for untreated roads, though I'm sure you'll find that out for yourself fairly shortly.

I've been driving in all conditions for years and so far I haven't found out. I am sure you're the type that could hardly contain his glee were I to have an accident.

I unlike you am fully aware that I could make ****e of a car on the hottest summers day and I could tomorrow. I accept that but I also know that my driving is of a sufficent standard that if I am to have an accident my driving will minimise the consequences of said accident.

Should I crash, you'll be the first to know, you ghoul.

Mod note: Poster banned for this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I wouldn't call people who are driving slowly tools. The thing is, alot of peopel are scared of getting into accidents, so naturally people are driving slowly to avoid such cases. Nobody wants a lawsuit, or to get hurt and damage their car so i'd say it's most likely a case of being careful, not wanting to leave anything to chance. While some might not like it, it's not so hard to understand either.

• Advertisement

penguin88 wrote: »
    You do realise you are expecting people to do the same thing?

The appropiate speed is NEVER 5kmph. Ever, under any circumstance. 6kmph is walking pace. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

If you knew how to drive properly in icy conditions, then you wouldn't have crashed last year, regardless of how icy the roads were.

I'm sure you are going to tell us that you are 'an expert' in these conditions.

Go ahead, you have the road..................

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

I've been overtaking cars all week with no problems whatsoever.

I fitted a brand new set of winter tyres 2 weeks ago to one of my cars & I know how to drive properly on icy roads.. which is to stay in high gears to reduce torque, avoid quick acceleration & to use engine breaking rather than the brakes (as there's little traction between tyres & ice).

I've also reduced my speed slightly, so I've been no less safe that I would be if the roads were clear.

I never said you were an unsafe driver etc I just mean its easy to tell people to use public transport as its 'safer' I was mearly stating its not,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We live on a corner and on Sunday there were about 10 crashes in an hour. All minor thank goodness, but same old same old, people taking corners too fast and muppets in jeeps thinking they're invincible.

One jeep actually approached the corner at normal speed, and a taxi came sliding round the corner across his path. The jeep swerved to avoid him, mounted the path and hit a wall. The taxi driver never stopped. I tried to get his reg number, but couldn't read it in time and then I thought feck that, two clowns, no one injured, maybe they'll slow down next time

I'm sure you are going to tell us that you are 'an expert' in these conditions.

No, but I've plenty of experience of it having lived in Northern Europe for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I am driving on thursday evening :( not looking forward to it.
    All I know is to start in 2nd, keep high, reduce gears to slow down where possible and dont brake where possible
    sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

bluewolf wrote: »
    All I know is to start in 2nd, keep high, reduce gears to slow down where possible and dont brake where possible
    sigh

Well you know more than the general populace at that.
    You'll be grand

sigh

That's it... a few spliffs & you'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No, but I've plenty of experience of it having lived in Northern Europe for a few years.

Well I got news for you, the majority of Irish Drivers have not lived in Northern Europe for several years. They don't have you're experience. So to compensate they are driving a bit slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

The appropiate speed is NEVER 5kmph. Ever, under any circumstance. 6kmph is walking pace. FFS.

I never said it was. Just pointing out it's a bit hypocritical to criticise someone for taking the same viewpoint as yourself, just at a different end of the speed spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

People are being cautious because they don't known the condition of the roads. There may be patches of black ice. Generally, I drive to the speed limit or above [ yes yes I break the law] but in ice and snow, I will NOT take risks. Things can happen all too easily and I lose control of my car. I would rather take it easy and get there late, than not at all.

I think the 'Hurry up to Fcuk' comments and such are here are just typical of the impatience and lack of respect for others that you see so often on the roads - i.e. More often than not, the people who actually cause these accidents are people just like you!!

sigh

How Far? Is your car front or rear, what condition is the car in?

Tips, fill your windsheild cleaner, use washing solution with Anti freeze. Buy a can of de-icer and leave in the boot. Buy a bag of kitty little and leave in the boot (were you to get caught on a surface and you couldn't get grip shaking kitty litter under the wheels will give you traction. Get a two litre bottle of water and fill it up with water/washer solution. You will go thorugh the washer fluid much quicker than normal. Make sure your washer nozzles are deiced and working before you take off.

Do a thorough check of your car prior to leaving.

Be confident in your driving, take it stready, maintain progress and you'll be fine. Anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. Don't put yourself in the position of having to react. Plot your route. If you are going a long distance, know in advance a place where you can pull in for a coffee and give yourself a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

You have to accept that the vast majority of road users won't have winter tires and different types of vehicles will be better for the conditions. Stupid to expect people to be driving faster than they're comfortable with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Well we're only after getting snow for the past 2 days and already I have seen 3 accidents on the crossroads just outside my house. 2 of these were only minor collisions but the latest one was just unbelievable!

Some tool in a done up fiat punto actually tried to drift around the corner and crashed sideways into a street light! His car looked like it was in an awful state and I can only say I'm delighted that cocky twat will have to pay a sh!tload to get it fixed :D

So has anyone else seen any dumb drivers getting what they deserve on the icy roads so far?

That made me laugh, brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Starbelgarde, with all due respect, I'm sure you're a very confident driver, but what you don't realise is that you're probably putting other drivers under pressure. Seeing some one tearing up passed you when you're nervous enough isn't the most calming of sights.

Perhaps when people are thinking of their own competence in the snow they might think that maybe others aren't so able and cut them a bit of slack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

How Far? Is your car front or rear, what condition is the car in?

Tips, fill your windsheild cleaner, use washing solution with Anti freeze. Buy a can of de-icer and leave in the boot. Buy a bag of kitty little and leave in the boot (were you to get caught on a surface and you couldn't get grip shaking kitty litter under the wheels will give you traction. Get a two litre bottle of water and fill it up with water/washer solution. You will go thorugh the washer fluid much quicker than normal. Make sure your washer nozzles are deiced and working before you take off.

Do a thorough check of your car prior to leaving.

Be confident in your driving, take it stready, maintain progress and you'll be fine. Anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. Don't put yourself in the position of having to react. Plot your route.
    If you are going a long distance, know in advance a place where you can pull in for a coffee and give yourself a break.

That's standard procedure ^^
    It's 40 mins (er well, 40 mins at my usual above speed limit driving, it'll be an hour now I guess) almost entirely on motorways. In theory, I should have nothing to worry about once I'm out of the estate.
    It's my little baby micra! tip top condition

thanks for the tips :) I should get the deicer

penguin88 wrote: »
    I never said it was. Just pointing out it's a bit hypocritical to criticise someone for taking the same viewpoint as yourself, just at a different end of the speed spectrum.

Driving too slow is hugely problematic, it's not subjective opinion, it's a matter of fact. There has to be a basic minimum standard of driving, doign 5kmph or around it falls way below that standard. Dangerously far below it.

You simply do not have control of a car at that speed. You will struggle on inclines forcing you to rev harder ensuring wheelspin which is anathema to winter driving. No car can operate safely in second gear below 20kmph, first gear is too high in slippy conditions save for manouvering out of an estate. It's too slow to be safe. Plain and simple.

I am not being hypocritical I am being reasonable. I'd be critical of someone doing 70 on an untreated road too, it's just I don't think anyone would or at least admit from their hospital bed that they did.

syklops wrote: »
    Well I got news for you, the majority of Irish Drivers have not lived in Northern Europe for several years. They don't have you're experience. So to compensate they are driving a bit slower.

I am well aware of that fact.

In fact, that was my point all along.

If you are trying to be a newsreader, you should at least learn to read first.

That's standard procedure ^^
    It's 40 mins (er well, 40 mins at my usual above speed limit driving, it'll be an hour now I guess) almost entirely on motorways. In theory, I should have nothing to worry about once I'm out of the estate.
    It's my little baby micra! tip top condition

thanks for the tips :) I should get the deicer

Do, under normal Irish winter conditions De-icer is unnecessary but in these conditions it's handy, nay vital.

Today I am picking those things up too and a small collapsable shovel.

You'll be fine on the motorway. The micra is grand in the snow and ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I am well aware of that fact.

In fact, that was my point all along.

If you are trying to be a newsreader, you should at least learn to read first.

All I read were 3 tough men telling everyone else how great they were that they could drive at normal speeds in these conditions, and how dangerous driving slowly is, and they if you dont have your level of driving you should stay at home or get public transport. I laugh bitterly at the public transport bit.

I want to set a Ice Driver Hardman board now.

MODS!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Driving too slow is hugely problematic, it's not subjective opinion, it's a matter of fact. There has to be a basic minimum standard of driving, doign 5kmph or around it falls way below that standard. Dangerously far below it.

You simply do not have control of a car at that speed. You will struggle on inclines forcing you to rev harder ensuring wheelspin which is anathema to winter driving. No car can operate safely in second gear below 20kmph, first gear is too high in slippy conditions save for manouvering out of an estate. It's too slow to be safe. Plain and simple.

I am not being hypocritical I am being reasonable. I'd be critical of someone doing 70 on an untreated road too, it's just I don't think anyone would or at least admit from their hospital bed that they did.

I fully understand your position and agree that a lot of the problem of people getting stuck on inclines are due to people travelling too slow. However people travelling too fast is likely to have worse consequences and can be very intimidating for people who are not familiar with these kinds of conditions.

I write this as someone who hasn't driven over the last few days but did in the cold spell earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

syklops wrote: »
    and they if you dont have your level of driving you should stay at home or get public transport. I laugh bitterly at the public transport bit.

I, for one, think it would be great if people with an inferior level of driving stayed off the road. It should be a privilege and not a right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I, for one, think it would be great if people with an inferior level of driving stayed off the road. It should be a privilege and not a right
    Like lycra!

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    Like lycra!

Hahaha!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement