Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete tools on the roads!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

re; Starbelgrade.
    "I fitted a brand new set of winter tyres 2 weeks ago to one of my cars & I know how to drive properly on icy roads.. which is to stay in high gears to reduce torque, avoid quick acceleration & to use engine breaking rather than the brakes (as there's little traction between tyres & ice)."

excellent advice. exactly what I have been doing. Also avoid quick deceleration. do not engage brake or accelerator when turning corners/ roundabouts etc. keep it calm and simple. estates are a nightmare. just go slow in them. but most main roads/streets yesterday were grand to do legal speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I, for one, think it would be great if people with an inferior level of driving stayed off the road. It should be a privilege and not a right

It'd be even better if folk realised that not everyone is used to driving in these conditions and anyone without reasonable understanding or consideration for other road users shouldn't get behind a wheel no matter what the road conditions are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know everything there could possibly be to know about driving - in Ireland and in every other country on the planet - and you're all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

syklops wrote: »
    All I read were 3 tough men telling everyone else how great they were that they could drive at normal speeds in these conditions, and how dangerous driving slowly is, and they if you dont have your level of driving you should stay at home or get public transport. I laugh bitterly at the public transport bit.

No-one said that they should drive at normal speeds. The problem is that you have people who are completely incompetant drivers, driving at ridiculously low speeds, who in all fairness shouldn't be on the roads in these conditions as they haven't a clue what they are doing.

Driving in poor conditions should be a mandatory part of all driving examinations & if it was, these people wouldn't have licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

I want to set a Ice Driver Hardman board now.

MODS!!!!!!!!!

One for the History channel!

Ireland: Ice Road Feckers!

Aine "2KPH" O'Connell - "I drive 2KPH or less. Feck those behind me!"

Paddy "Outta my way" O'Reilly - "I don't see no feckin ice on the road. Get the hell out of my way!"

A sure hit!

• Advertisement

Driving in poor conditions should be a mandatory part of all driving examinations & if it was, these people wouldn't have licences.

Totally agree with the first part. Not sure it's fair to say they wouldn't have licences, no one knows if they're not tested on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Motorists who break red lights in this weather are a disgrace. They are notorious for breaking the red lights at the Dorset Street-North Circular Road junction and even this morning they were still doing it. Someone crossing the road there will get smacked by one of these morons one of the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

You need sufficent forward momentum to maintain control of a car

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

It's inconsiderate of you to expect everyone else to kow-tow to your inability to drive at an appropriate speed.

What about expecting other people to follow your example when you know what the conditions are and the slow speed you are going is the appropriate speed? I was doing 30kmph through my village this morning, geared down slowly coming to the junction with the main road - I knew it was icy and poorly gritted as I'd been out walking the dogs earlier - when an absolute tool on his feckin phone decided to overtake me. This was on a bend, approaching a junction, downhill, on a solid white line, in a 50kmph zone - not a good place to be overtaking in the best of conditions. Needless to say, he had to brake for the junction, went into a skid and went nose first into the ditch on the other side of the junction. Only for the drivers on the main road (including a school bus, this was a disaster movie in the making) taking their time there could have been deaths.

This guy is a local, he knows the road as well as I do but still decided for whatever reasons (I'm a woman, my car is smaller than his, I have a kid in the back, whatever) that his interpretation of the conditions was superior to mine. And he actually said - "if you hadn't been going so slowly I wouldn't have had to overtake you" before being shouted at by the bus driver to stop being such a gobshyte, that the roads in the area were so bad that no one should be doing over 60kmph even on the main road.

So before you go labelling all cautious drivers as unsafe or inexperienced, consider that they may actually know something other drivers don't or may have more experience or more cop on than the other drivers.

And thank you for the useful winter driving tips. Much more helpful than criticising drivers for being overly-cautious on roads and conditions you know nothing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Motorists who break red lights in this weather are a disgrace. They are notorious for breaking the red lights at the Dorset Street-North Circular Road junction and even this morning they were still doing it. Someone crossing the road there will get smacked by one of these morons one of the days.

Blame the changed light sequence for that. They also changed the sequence to a very short green at Mountjoy also, encouraging red light breaking.

Also, I'd wish pedestrians do NOT WALK about in front of a slowly moving car, I just cannot stop as quick as before!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Now lads if ye are not able to drive about 15mph (town), 20-25mph minimum ojn open untreated roads in that weather, walk. Ye are a hazard to yourselves and to other motorists. There is no excuse for driving too slow. You have to maintain a reasonable pace, some other fella went to the chipper at 5kmph. I walked into town yesterday at an average foot speed of 6kmph.

Those speeds are too slow for the conditions, too slow for hills too slow to prevent a car skidding. You need sufficent forward momentum to maintain control of a car, if you are not confident to do so, walk or use public transport or take a snow day. Ranting about people driving fast is absurd.

You sound like the guy who overtook us on a gritted, clear road last night, sped up away from us only to then skid on the bit of ice he hadn't seen coming and near enough went off the road into the river.
    That wouldn't be you, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

The young lads in my town are out at night pouring drums of water over the speed bumps, so come morning time (after heavy frost) any cars that are going slow cant get over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rule of thumb-if you feel you can't drive in ice and snow,don't.Had a boy racer tearing up the road at my place yesterday morning,little did he know of the ice on the hill he was heading towards.TOOL!! I had to drive to Wexford and back,road was ok but some auld fella insisted on doing 30kph for miles.There's taking it handy and taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

zerks wrote: »
    Rule of thumb-if you feel you can't drive in ice and snow,don't.Had a boy racer tearing up the road at my place yesterday morning,little did he know of the ice on the hill he was heading towards.TOOL!! I had to drive to Wexford and back,road was ok but some auld fella insisted on doing 30kph for miles.There's taking it handy and taking the mick.

You drove to wexford? From where to where? I need to go down too (from sandyford) but am putting it off until it clears, i hear from the family that its very bad on the rosslare road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Really?

Yes, you do, otherwise you don't get any traction between tyre and road.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Nothing new here. People get into cars and instantly lose half their brain. Regardless if its snowing or not. People are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Its amazes me how many people still attempt car journeys in this weather. I understand some are absolutley necessary but some could be put off. Even taking it slow, if there is no traction in the road you are ****ed when you hit the brakes :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Why don't ye just not crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

minotour wrote: »
    You drove to wexford? From where to where? I need to go down too (from sandyford) but am putting it off until it clears, i hear from the family that its very bad on the rosslare road.

Don't even think of driving from Dublin to Wexford after the snow we're having today.Better to be safe at home.The roads were ok yesterday but it's a whiteout now in Co.Wexford.

Its amazes me how many people still attempt car journeys in this weather. I understand some are absolutley necessary but some could be put off. Even taking it slow, if there is no traction in the road you are ****ed when you hit the brakes :eek:

Thats why you should almost never use your brakes!!! Thats half the proble, people see something or feel the car give and brake and away we go, all comes back to people not having a clue how to drive in this kind of conditions. The amount of people who drive by the temperature gauge in their car rather than watching the road ahead as well as watching for how the car reacting on the road is amazing. Drove home from work yesterday at 3 on a road clear of snow and still caught up with people doing 20 miles per hour because the gauges in cars read 0 degress. They should be banned from being out in car displays!!

• Advertisement

"if you hadn't been going so slowly I wouldn't have had to overtake you"

Christ, what a gob****e. I really do worry about me or someone I know being killed or seriously injured by this kind of selfish, impatient idiot despite doing everything right and taking all possible precautions.

I would like to see the guards prosecute people for this kind of driving.

Thats why you should lamost never use your brakes!!! Thats half the proble, people see something or feel the car give and brake and away we go, all comes back to people not having a clue how to drive in this kind of conditions. The amount of people who drive by the temperature gauge in their car rather than watching the road ahead as well as watching for how the car reacting on the road is amazing. Drove home from work yesterday at 3 on a road clear of snow and still caught up with people doing 20 miles per hour because the gauges in cars read 0 degress. They should be banned from being out in car displays!!

Black ice is almost impossible to see, and when you hit it traction is reduced to zero, so your car is going to continue in the same direction at the same speed no matter how great a driver you think you are. My uncle was killed as a passenger in a car when the driver thought he was on a clear road only to hit a patch of black ice and crash into a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Why don't ye just not crash?
    /thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Speak for yourself. Life goes on, i'm afraid. Snow here is nothing compared to other countries and other countries dont stop over a poxy bit of snow

I'm comfortable driving in these conditions, and though im no expert, I have the cop-on to know when to slow down, and take caution and when to stop. Unfortuantely, my job wont take the "I'm taking a duvet day/The roads are too bad" excuse from me, plus I can hardly afford the unpaid leave, so get off your high horse (which those hooves must be crap on that ice BTW) and stop assuming everybody else's journey/travel is meaningless, if you dont want to drive thats YOUR decision, dont be making mine too

If I have things to do, I will and I wont let a little snow stop me. That said I will excercise every caution and make sure that I get where i'm going in 1 piece and do my best not to endanger others by driving ridiculously awful in this weather.

It's about common sense and due care, of which some road users have neither

In other news I see the old "I dont indicate on roundabaouts" brigade are still out in full force ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I am the second best driver in the world but last year I crashed. The reason black ice, you cannot predict what a car will do when it hits black ice.

You can abide by the principles of safe driving but you can't predict what's around the next corner.
    My advise slow the fcuk down.

Don't give a fcuk about what's behind you unless you are overtaking and reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

This one happened yesterday and I laughed my ass off. I was coming out of an estate in Tallaght. Anywho there's a line of about 20 kids on the other side the road with piles of snowballs ready. I'm not too worried about snowballs, but I noticed that they seemed to only be hitting mercs, beemers and 4 x 4s!!! I wasn't sure but then a break in the traffic came and I got out into the firing line, sure enough not a single snowball hit my little micra but the 4 x 4 behind me got decimated. LOL, love kids sometimes.

Speak for yourself. Life goes on, i'm afraid. Snow here is nothing compared to other countries and other countries dont stop over a poxy bit of snow

I'm comfortable driving in these conditions, and though im no expert, I have the cop-on to know when to slow down, and take caution and when to stop. Unfortuantely, my job wont take the "I'm taking a duvet day/The roads are too bad" excuse from me, plus I can hardly afford the unpaid leave, so get off your high horse (which those hooves must be crap on that ice BTW) and stop assuming everybody else's journey/travel is meaningless, if you dont want to drive thats YOUR decision, dont be making mine too

If I have things to do, I will and I wont let a little snow stop me. That said I will excercise every caution and make sure that I get where i'm going in 1 piece and do my best not to endanger others by driving ridiculously awful in this weather.

It's about common sense and due care, of which some road users have neither

In other news I see the old "I dont indicate on roundabaouts" brigade are still out in full force ...

i absolutely hate the 'other countries deal with it so should we' mentalities (no offence :D )

We are not used to it. We don't get weather like this normally. Most people don't have winter tyres, aren't taught how to drive in the snow and still have to get around. You're not the only one who can't afford to take time off, that's why most people are struggling to get to work, and being told they should stay off the roads because they haven't got the same experience as others.

I was in Norway in March where the snow was knee deep. They have snowploughs clearing ALL roads, not just major ones. They have winter tyres, and part of their driving test covers driving in snowy conditions.

So whilst it's true other countries don't stop over a 'poxy bit of snow' they get this weather all the time so coming to a standstill during winter isn't an option.

Black ice is almost impossible to see, and when you hit it traction is reduced to zero, so your car is going to continue in the same direction at the same speed no matter how great a driver you think you are. My uncle was killed as a passenger in a car when the driver thought he was on a clear road only to hit a patch of black ice and crash into a tree.

Again, I drive 52 miles a day in this stuff, black ice warnings are given and I take due care and attention if there are warnings about black ice. But I also know the type of weather conditions I drive in, I also always slow down on corners in this sort of weather no matter how clear the road is because you can come around into a shaded part where nothing has thawed, its all common sense. Any of the above is no excuse for driving at 10/15 mph on roads that are half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Irish people are terrible drivers full stop. They can't drive in good weather and are completely useless in any kind of extreme conditions. Irish people don't know how to test the conditions of the road or deal with hazards.

I went out for a drive in the icy conditions to get some practice on the back roads. I came across one fool who I thought was parked in the middle of a small road but when I passed it turned out to be someone doing 2mph at most. She would will cause an accident because she was stopped on a hill and any sudden breaking would have made the car lose traction.

I saw people slowing down at the top of hills, breaking going down hills, breaking through corners, and in general using their breaks to much. The people who say you shouldn't drive in the snow at all show such a fear of learning and practice that I'm sure they're all terrible drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

ScumLord wrote: »
    The people who say you shouldn't drive in the snow at all show such a fear of learning and practice that I'm sure they're all terrible drivers.

Also, fear of crashing and totaling their car or getting seriously injured.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement