Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete tools on the roads!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Also, fear of crashing and totaling their car or getting seriously injured.

Theres a big difference between crashing and totalling the car and getting killed and being lucky that the car gets enough traction to propel itself forward. Nobody is suggesting banging along at the speed limit on every road in this sort of weather, its just realising how to drive properly in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

How did this thread go from funny stories of things seen on the snowy roads to a bragging match about how awesome each individual boardsie is at driving in snow and how crappy everyone else is??? Just asking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

ScumLord wrote: »
    Irish people are terrible drivers full stop. They can't drive in good weather and are completely useless in any kind of extreme conditions. Irish people don't know how to test the conditions of the road or deal with hazards.

I went out for a drive in the icy conditions to get some practice on the back roads. I came across one fool who I thought was parked it turned out to be someone doing 2mph at most middle of a small road but when I passed . She would will cause an accident because she was stopped on a hill and any sudden breaking would have made the car lose traction.

I saw people slowing down at the top of hills, breaking going down hills, breaking through corners, and in general using their breaks to much. The people who say you shouldn't drive in the snow at all show such a fear of learning and practice that I'm sure they're all terrible drivers.

This post is just too full of contradictions to know where to begin is the issue :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

****ing bafoons on the road today, total and utter dongbats.

There are some people driving painfully slow, but they are not the ones that I wanted to drag from their cars make them take a dip in the liffey :mad:

It's the fools trying to defy the laws of gravity and physics ffs.

Some twit just there earlier tore past us on the hill that runs from Christchurch to the Bridewell, then hit his brakes thinking he was going to stop and slid across the quays braking a red light.

If it wasn't for the forethought and observation of those drivers on the quays that seen the twit was traveling to fast to stop, they would have traveled on right into his path.

Seen two taxis crash into barriers last night also.

Some drivers out there have no clue when it comes to what traction they have, they are driving around as if they are all driving Audi Quattros.

Idiots trying to drift around corners in front wheel drive cars and then looking gormless when their car smacks into the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This post is just too full of contradictions to know where to begin is the issue :rolleyes:
    There are no contractions only statements highlighted in your post, all of which are completely true and 100% accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Fat suit wearing twat in a shiney 10 reg Range Rover / Urban tractor came drifting sideways at me round an icy street corner whilst steering one handed. Why was he steering one handed? No not ****. On the phone. I beeped and made hand gestures at him. He regained control. Stopped beside me and asked me what my problem was!!!!!!
    I replied that I have no problem now that I have his reg and a good description and drove away.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Damn it people, it's "brakes."

Damn it people, it's "brakes."

In fairness, when ya hit a wall, it becomes breaks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I wouldn't go so far as to call people tools but in fairness if you have to drive around at speeds of 10KPH then you should have left the car at home.

The main problem here is a combination of people not using Winter tyres and not being experienced at driving in these conditions.
    I've got enough sense to slow down a bit and to avoid heavy braking and accelerating if conditions are icy but asides from that sure what would I know about driving in condition like these?
    I've driven in snow plenty of times but I've never driven in conditions like what people are describing here.
    TBH if they were that bad there's no chance I'd take the car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If i'm driving and there is a line of cars behind me i'd be more than happy to pull over and let them test the road for me - similarly if i am stuck behind a car that i feel is driving too slowly with a line of traffic behind them i would really appreciate if they would let people pass them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

If i'm driving and there is a line of cars behind me i'd be more than happy to pull over and let them test the road for me - similarly if i am stuck behind a car that i feel is driving too slowly with a line of traffic behind them i would really appreciate if they would let people pass them.

I know that in some American states, if you're holding up more that 5 cars, the lead car driver can get a citation for obstructing traffic.

Some12 wrote: »
    I know that in some American states, if you're holding up more that 5 cars, the lead car driver can get a citation for obstructing traffic.
    Happens in a lot of counties, I think the Police in England can pull you over for going to slow, especially on a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No, but I've plenty of experience of it having lived in Northern Europe for a few years.

That's fair enough, I applaud your skills on the icy roads, so I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

So what do you do if you go into a skid? I presume breaking is a no no?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Theres a lot to be said for owning a tractor.

See ya in hell suckers.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Work with the steering gently, don't go wrestling with it trying to right the car, decelerate and do not brake. A lot of the time the car will gain traction and right itself. Righting your hartbeat afterwards takes slightly longer. I drove a mile and a half last Saint Stephens night on a road with a sheet of ice it had just rained on and had absolutely no control over the car whatsoever, all I could do was hold the steering and let the car drift and make sure it kept heading the right direction, braking was a definite no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

it depends on the car and the type of brakes you have :)

It all depends on the situation. It's not something you can really learn to do properly by reading about it. It needs to be practised. Unfortunately there are few legal ways of doing this that aren't expensive. Your looking at some sort of advanced driving course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

danieljm wrote: »
    alot of that crazy driving but people are being over cautious too. following a car for 20 miles going no more than 10 miles an hour and making me half an hour late is ridiculous when no need of it. :mad:

there's being careful and taking the biscuit....rant over! :p

There have been places where I was unable to get to that speed. In many cases it's unwise, stupid and dangerous.

Your car may be able to drive better and faster than other cars, have some cop on and consideration. Not everyone is driving a 4X4.
    People are driving way to slow in my opinion. Aul one in front of me doing 15kph on a clear and gritted road with no snow on it. ffs its not that bad.

Have some perspective, you think an aul one would cope well if she began to skid on ice? Highly doubtful. She's right to be cautious. It all depends on the situation, the car the person is driving and their ability as a driver. 15Kph is a very slow speed, but not when you are driving on ice.
    Kiera wrote: »
    So what? I drive slow because I crashed last year in this weather. So if you’re behind me and I’m driving slow, tough fúcking shít!

I love you :)
    Now lads if ye are not able to drive about 15mph (town), 20-25mph minimum ojn open untreated roads in that weather, walk. Ye are a hazard to yourselves and to other motorists. There is no excuse for driving too slow. You have to maintain a reasonable pace, some other fella went to the chipper at 5kmph. I walked into town yesterday at an average foot speed of 6kmph.

On the roads I drove on today, if you are doing 25Mph minimum, you are a fool and deserve to have your license taken from you.
    Those speeds are too slow for the conditions, too slow for hills too slow to prevent a car skidding. You need sufficent forward momentum to maintain control of a car, if you are not confident to do so, walk or use public transport or take a snow day.

Too slow to prevent a car skidding? Explain that one to us please.
    Ranting about people driving fast is absurd.

You display a serious lack of understanding. Do you own a jeep?

No. There's only two excuses for driving at ridiculously low speeds in this weather;

1. You don't have winter tyres fitted.

and

2. You don't know how to drive properly in icy conditions.

In my opinion, these are the people who should be walking & taking the bus as they are just as dangerous to other drivers as idiots speeding & doing dangerous overtaking.

People who do not drive at a safe speed and put other people in danger should not be on the road.

So you think everyone without winter tyres should not drive? Not everyone can afford seasonal tyres. They're not cheap either.

Those people whinging about others being cautious should understand that not everyone drives the same vehicle.
    If you knew how to drive properly in icy conditions, then you wouldn't have crashed last year, regardless of how icy the roads were.

/facepalm...

Seriously.
    Some12 wrote: »
    With all due respect, it sounds like you're incapable of driving in these conditions and could be a danger to others on the road. You should take public transport instead of being a hazard to both yourself and others.

I agree that people need to drive at speeds safe for the conditions but those that drive well under that speed frustrate other drivers which may lead to unsafe overtaking.

Please take public transport or get a lift with a friend who is capable of driving at the proper safe speed in these bad conditions.

No patients on the road, then stay off the road. What may be a safe speed for me will not be a safe speed for you, tell me that you can at least see that.
    syklops wrote: »
    There must have been phenomenal improvements in public transport around the whole of the country since I last used it for all the people advocating its use.

Unfortunately many buses were out of action today... Meh!!!
    No. Never. It's inconsiderate of you to expect everyone else to kow-tow to your inability to drive at an appropriate speed.

Who said she wasn't driving at an appropiate speed?

Driving too slow is hugely problematic, it's not subjective opinion, it's a matter of fact. There has to be a basic minimum standard of driving, doign 5kmph or around it falls way below that standard. Dangerously far below it.

Depending where you are doing 5Kmph it may be perfect, in many cases, like the M50, it's horrificly slow.
    You simply do not have control of a car at that speed. You will struggle on inclines forcing you to rev harder ensuring wheelspin which is anathema to winter driving. No car can operate safely in second gear below 20kmph, first gear is too high in slippy conditions save for manouvering out of an estate. It's too slow to be safe. Plain and simple.

How do you not have control? Fair enough, you need a good run up a hill, but many assholes on the roads don't know this and will drive up your arse or the guy in front won't drive fast enough. Your car may be able to pick up speed in a much shorter distance than mine. I know I need a good run.
    No car can operating safely in 2nd gear below 20KMPH.

BULLSHíT
    I am not being hypocritical I am being reasonable. I'd be critical of someone doing 70 on an untreated road too, it's just I don't think anyone would or at least admit from their hospital bed that they did.

I take it you mean 70Mph and not Kmph? Truck over took me today doing approximately 50Mph, witnessed a micra, fiat chiquechento and several jeeps. No idea how the smaller cars kept traction.

I heard one boy racer today behind me. As I, and many others, had problems getting up a hill thismorning, this tosser was laughing at people while he went past. Big loud exhaust, revving like mad, tosser get stuck close to the top of the hill, turns on his hazards and slumps down in his seat...

There are some people who haven't the slightest idea how to drive, slow down, turn, or do any manouvers on ice. Stay off the road. Oh and those who think they are professionals? Do same if you don't have the patience or tolerance for others :)

TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS PEOPLE

FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS PEOPLE

FFS.

Serious amount of people who didn't bother take any snow off their vehicles either. How they can see out of their vehicle is beyond me.

People really are stupid.

People really are stupid.

it's true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just got home, took an hour and a half, normally takes a half hour. Its total ice from Phibsboro road, down Whitworth rd, Dorset st & Gardiner st in Dublin. Plenty of buses stuck at side of the road. Strangely its not too bad on the southside(Pearse st) but its gridlock depending which direction you are going on that side of the city as well as the northside.

Also heard on the radio that some scumbags were pelting cars in Ballybough with eggs. They opened the drivers doors and skulled the driver at point blank distance. Hanging is too good for them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

gurramok wrote: »
    Also heard on the radio that some scumbags were pelting cars in Ballybough with eggs. They opened the drivers doors and skulled the driver at point blank distance. Hanging is too good for them. :mad:

Wow. What cúnts. Hope they ended up arrested or beaten into the the ground by some Army type on the way home! :P

I was driving through Swords myself yesterday, turning right onto North street from the crappy bridge if anyone knows it - some dick in a company liveried car comes round a bad bend, one-handed driving, visibly on the phone, no indicator and swings into the road I was turning out of. Barely saw him and because he was going fast and not indicating, I was inching forward to pull out behind him. Bastard nearly swiped me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Yeah little feckers. Word of caution, do NOT drive through Darndale if you're not up for a pounding. Drove in there the other night and loads of kids lining each side of the road, make ICE balls, not snow, rock solid ice.

They then proceed to take a baseball side throw into the side of the car.

I wanted to run em all down, little shíts will be throwing snow covered rocks soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭sonic85

an awful lot of legends on this thread thanks lads its given me a good laugh! maybe the know it alls should give up some of their time and give lessons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Take care at junctions and where smaller roads meet larger ones/coming out of estates.

Saw one woman in a 4x4 think it had magic capabilities. Driving out of her posh estate she had to stop, then join the main road. She braked on the compacted snow and shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh right out into the middle of the near lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well off I went to make my unnescessary journey today. Took over half an hour to get around the corner with all the traffic so I did a U-ey and turned back around the other corner. I presume the traffic was from people without enough momentum to get over the bridge properly. I do however subscribe to the drive slow, keep a good distance and use your gears to slow down brigade though but I also agree there is such a thing as too slow in some cases.

I was behind a chap that was driving fairly slow for the conditions, but for some reason decided to brake last minute for the orange lights. Needless to say, he skidded and bounced off the kerb. I think if you are going to be so cautious in the roads to drive extremely slow, then learn how to slow down properly to keep control of the car aswell.

Either way, keep your distance and learn to adjust to the flow of the traffic. It's the dumbass impatient cunts overtaking and crashing that are the biggest hazards on the roads.

Learn to accept that there are old people who may be overly cautious but at the same time have every right to use the roads too. You don't know their situation and why they are on it but I am sure if they could avoid having to go out, they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

yeah so after coming home this evening (after an epic 4 hour trip), the snow in the estate and nearby is coming up to somewhere between my ankles and knees.

I'm not driving ANYWHERE tomorrow!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No. Never. It's inconsiderate of you to expect everyone else to kow-tow to your inability to drive at an appropriate speed.

It is a million times more inconsiderate of you to expect every one to drive faster becasue of you. Chill out a bit and you'll get to your destination, most importantly alive, but only a minute or two later than otherwise.

Is a minute of your time really that important?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement