Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete tools on the roads!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Kasabian wrote: »
    I am the second best driver in the world but last year I crashed. The reason black ice, you cannot predict what a car will do when it hits black ice.

You can abide by the principles of safe driving but you can't predict what's around the next corner.
    My advise slow the fcuk down.

Don't give a fcuk about what's behind you unless you are overtaking and reversing.

People should give a **** about what's behind them if they're sitting in the overtaking lane doing 80km/h in a 100km/h zone and no reason not to be in the driving lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

People who do not drive at a safe speed and put other people in danger should not be on the road.

So you think everyone without winter tyres should not drive? Not everyone can afford seasonal tyres. They're not cheap either.

I think the use of winter tyres should be mandatory in weather like this. Summer tyres & even all-season tyres have little or no traction on ice and snow.

Anyone driving with those tyres in these conditions is a danger to everyone on the road, no matter what speed they are doing.

A person driving, for example, on an ungritted road in a housing estate, is just as dangerous as a boy racer bombing it down a dual carraigeway.

There is no difference to me & I have no time for either. Both sets of people are driving with undue care for other drivers, road users and pedestrians & quite simply, should not be allowed on the roads.

Yes, winter tyres are expensive - but I'd like to see anyone try & pull that excuse after causing an accident from not having them. It's as bad as someone driving an unsafe car & saying that it's not their fault because they can't afford to repair it.

It's no excuse.

I have no time for dangerous drivers & that includes ones who are unprepared and unable to drive properly on snow covered & icy roads, regardless of the speed they are driving at.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

Doing 50 outside coming into NewtownForbes today, guy in a small truck overtook me doing about 65 (roads icey as hell), line of traffic in front. Then proceeded to pull in 2 mins down the road and drop off a delivery at the quick pick shop! Rolled down the window to ask him was it worth it, looks at me blankly and asks me what am I talking about! Seriously the amount of truck drivers taking the piss is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This is what it was like earlier, bore yourselves to death :P

In the first video, a bloke was reversing his car around the corner on the ice ahead of hence my outburst ;)

]

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

One word, ****.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    This is what it was like earlier, bore yourselves to death :P

Do you always drive around with a camera in your car?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fortune_Cookie

A bleedin' truck overturned down the road from me earlier today. Seen a lot of almost accidents on the roads today.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Dazza Mc kenna

OP do you have any pics of the car or the damage done ?

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

flash1080 wrote: »
    People should give a **** about what's behind them if they're sitting in the overtaking lane doing 80km/h in a 100km/h zone and no reason not to be in the driving lane.

Firstly, if you are doing 100Kmph in that weather you should have your licence revoked. That's a crazy speed to be doing on those roads.

If you are doing 80Kmph, that is plenty fast. It's also very difficult to change lanes and in my opinion, very wreckless too at that speed. You need to slow down... Flash...
    I think the use of winter tyres should be mandatory in weather like this. Summer tyres & even all-season tyres have little or no traction on ice and snow.

Yea, would be great but not everyone can afford to fork out 100 quid a tyre then labour to get the work done.

Anyone driving with those tyres in these conditions is a danger to everyone on the road, no matter what speed they are doing.

Wrong.
    A person driving, for example, on an ungritted road in a housing estate, is just as dangerous as a boy racer bombing it down a dual carraigeway.

Also wrong. You just equated speeding to driving on ice? (I'll give you the benifit of the doubt and guess you mean without winter tyres?)

I wonder how many deaths each cause. I'd say the later is substantially higher. Not sure what a boy racer has to do with it either.
    There is no difference to me & I have no time for either. Both sets of people are driving with undue care for other drivers, road users and pedestrians & quite simply, should not be allowed on the roads.

There is a massive difference. Firstly, the former is allowed on the road, the latter is breaking the law.
    Yes, winter tyres are expensive - but I'd like to see anyone try & pull that excuse after causing an accident from not having them. It's as bad as someone driving an unsafe car & saying that it's not their fault because they can't afford to repair it.

No it's not, it's nothing like that. If your car is unfit for the road, that's illegal. The road traffic act doesn't state that one should change tyres for the snow. How would that even be possible?

I have no time for dangerous drivers & that includes ones who are unprepared and unable to drive properly on snow covered & icy roads, regardless of the speed they are driving at.

I don't have time for it either, but driving without snow tyres does not equate to dangerous driving. Take your time, be patient, drive carefully and you will be fine. I doubt there will be many serious accidents if people do the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

vanman99 wrote: »
    One word, ****.

Any reason?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Was on a primary road last night, noticed a car about a mile away with just hazards flashing now and again. Got closer while reducing speed only to notice in the complete darkness of night that they were bringing cows onto the main road to another field.

The car was up on the ditch nearly off the road away from the cows, none of them had a torch or any high visable jacket nor anyone ahead of the cows to tell drivers to slow down.

Could barely make out the hazards because they were behind the cows so they were blocking them most of the time.

I swear, some major idiots out there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

I have been doing hand brake turns in my estate to corner :(

My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You don't? :confused: That's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Dear silver Ford Focus driver,

I hope you froze your bollocks off on your walk back home this morning. When approaching a roundabout in any conditions, it is wise to know what's around you.

Sometimes, and I know it may be hard to see thus from up your own hole, roads can have two lanes and they go right the way onto the roundabout. So in this case when cars are side by side it's even more advisable not to cut across lanes on a roundabout.

You almost hit me, I beeped at you and the thing that brightened up my whole day was that you slowed down to stick you finger out the window at me and never got a good run at that inclining hill. I smiled hard overtaking you. In my mirror was a beautiful sight. You getting out of your car stuck. Couldn't go any further, couldn't turn back.

I reached the too of the hill and my destination. I thought of you all day. Hope your didn't catch a wee cold, you ignoramus. Nice word I know!

Take care now.

Dar

ScumLord wrote: »

Driving without winter tyres is one thing, but driving while playing the uilann pipes is just fucking insane.

Shine on Scumlord, you crazy diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Driving without winter tyres is one thing, but driving while playing the uilann pipes is just fucking insane.

Shine on Scumlord, you crazy diamond.
    That's just the natural sound of the Irish countryside wafting in the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Yep, they sit on your arse, and no matter what speed the whole line in front of you are doing they'll tail gate the entire journey, not really giving a rats ass for anyone else on the road.

vanman99 wrote: »
    Yep, they sit on your arse, and no matter what speed the whole line in front of you are doing they'll tail gate the entire journey, not really giving a rats ass for anyone else on the road.

Ironic post, given your username. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

SV wrote: »
    Now that's a very ill informed comment.
    I won't say uneducated though.

Irish drivers, as a WHOLE, are disgraceful.

including yourself, you endangered mine and others lives recently when overtaking in your clio

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have to say people have been driving slowly and leaving a good gap between cars which is good to see.

As soon as the snow goes people will be back to speeding, does anyone actually keep to speed limits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Throw away your SnowTires and replace them with an awesome WeissSock :cool: (may need to get old ones back though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1xjo3FU0fU

/promoted due to name similarity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

patrickc wrote: »
    including yourself, you endangered mine and others lives recently when overtaking in your clio

Eh, Where abouts was this, pray tell?
    Seeing as I haven't done any overtaking during this bout of weather, I'm very curious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Kiera wrote: »
    Wrong!

You have no idea what kind of roads I am driving slow on! My estate is like an ice rink so yes, I am going to drive slow. I’m not some idiot who’s going to do 10km on a gritted road!
    My estate is full of black ice. Naturally everyone is going to drive slowly in their estate. Whether there's snow, ice, rain or blistering sun, you drive slow in a housing estate or you're mentally challenged or some shít. (Not you personally, I mean you as is in anyone who drives.)
    Kiera wrote: »
    You have no idea what happened so that's an idiotic comment! :rolleyes:
    Naos wrote: »
    So what happened last year then Kiera?
    +1, what happened & what were you driving?
    Naos wrote: »
    Ah here now, Spanish drivers are nuts.
    Driving fast doesn't equal nuts.
    deuceswild wrote: »
    The young lads in my town are out at night pouring drums of water over the speed bumps, so come morning time (after heavy frost) any cars that are going slow cant get over them.
    Fúck water over their doorstep for when they leave the next mornin'.
    curlzy wrote: »
    How did this thread go from funny stories of things seen on the snowy roads to a bragging match about how awesome each individual boardsie is at driving in snow and how crappy everyone else is??? Just asking :D
    'cause my E-penis is bigger than yours and anybody else's in here. :cool:

A guinness truck overtook me on the icy motorway tonight. Guess who ended up sideways and about 8 feet from the barriers?

I felt the arse of my car twitchin' at only 80 so I kept it at 70 and plodded on comfortably home.

For those who think people should speed up for them, think of this. If they speed up and you follow suit and they spin or have to jam on and they've winters and you don't and you hit them, you're at fault for not being able to stop.

For those giving out about people gettin' stuck behind people doin' 20kmh. If you're sayin' you can't overtake someone safely that's doin' a mere 20kmh, regardless of weather conditions, then perhaps you should stay behind them?

Increase your travel times and quit moanin' people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

My car stays in my driveway until the thaw. My first venture out was on foot on Sunday at 20:00. About a quarter mile from my house there was an accident with the full scene: fire brigade; squad car; ambulance. They were taking someone away on a stretcher.

It was at a traffic lights, a car going too fast rear-ending a stopped car.

The people complaining here about slow driving need to start their journeys earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

johngalway wrote: »
    Trying to navigate my way ouf of the girlfriends estate yesterday morning to bring the kids to school. There's a hill on the way out with two speed bumps on it :rolleyes: Hill was doable but slippy. Car ahead of me get's on it so I wait at the bottom until it's got up. What do the other fools do? Drive around me, slip, slide, and skid until three of them have both lanes blocked. Fcuking morons. My only regret is they didn't do dogem' cars down the hill because they deserved it for being that impatient. You slip on ice and you loose control. Stay the hell away from other cars and have a bit of patience and cop on.

I'll go one better than this. Driving up the Nephin Road this evening around 5pm, there's two speed ramps on the road before the junction with the N3. I'm going straight through the junction. I see the lights are red and I slow down, no point going most of the way up the incline and then having to stop, I could get stuck. Turns out the lad in front of me did get stuck. So after watching him struggle for a turn of the lights I put the hazards on, lock up the car and go to give him a push. An army guy comes down from the lights and hops in the driver seat, putting her into second gear and we push. He's moving now and up at the lights, job done.

On the walk back to my car, which was less than 100ft away, I see a driver coming up from the back of the queue that'd formed behind me, driving on the wrong side of the road, overtaking a good five or six cars. Clearly he was in a hurry. He pulled into the land in front of me, wrecking my clear shot at the junction when the lights went green. He was swiftly followed by a black 4x4. Yer man got stuck in pretty much the same spot the previous guy did. And the 4x4 guy drove around him too and went off wherever he was going. Did I get out to help the impatient guy? I did in my arse. I drove around him and it was ropey as fcuk getting going again and getting over the ramps to do so, even had to zig-zag in my search for grip. I crossed the junction in 3rd year on super-low revs doing about 5mph :pac:

No, I don't have winters. Yes, I am in the market for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

ScumLord wrote: »

You're going too slow! you cant have any control over the car going that slow. you should be doing at least 60kph!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Niamho! wrote: »
    Ah ya can't be too careful I reckon. I'd be driving quite slow myself I think if I was driving. But those drivers should pull in and let people pass them....
    You are joking, please say you are joking. You pull in in this condition there is a very big chance you will not pull out again.

Heres a question, what should the minimum speed be in this weather

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You are joking, please say you are joking. You pull in in this condition there is a very big chance you will not pull out again.

Heres a question, what should the minimum speed be in this weather

The general rules is: Someone who is going slower that you is an idiot, someone who is going faster than you is a maniac.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement