Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete tools on the roads!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

I used to be like some of the "get out of my way" posters here in my early twenties. You (should) grow out of it.

The way i see it:
    In town, you can't do much about it but in fairness you're not gonna lose a heap of time so relax.
    On national routes or any half decent road confident drivers should be able to overtake (most of these lads tailgate like idiots afraid to overtake and end up terribly frustrated). Otherwise put up with it.

So relax FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Heres a question, what should the minimum speed be in this weather

80mph. Whether you're on a motorway, a housing estate, a driveway, a bóirín, a dual-carriageway, going past schools or a carpark. Regardless of what kind of tyres or car you have and if the road is untreated or gritted. Everyone should just travel at 80mph across the board.

That's my way of telling you your question is really stupid btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

80mph. Whether you're on a motorway, a housing estate, a driveway, a bóirín, a dual-carriageway, going past schools or a carpark. Regardless of what kind of tyres or car you have and if the road is untreated or gritted. Everyone should just travel at 80mph across the board.

That's my way of telling you your question is really stupid btw.
    Not a stupid question at all. So many nut cases moaning about people driving slow, i wanted to know what they think the appropriate speed is.

At least your reply was not obnoxious i suppose. That would only increase my road rage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Have to agree that the real danger on the roads right now is people who don't have a clue how to drive in these conditions, its not really their fault - there should be a set of do's and donts thrown in to the theory test, adverts, articles and so on, its all about awareness. Witnessed 7 or 8 near accidents around infirmary road in about a 15min period yesterday evening, half of them were people accelerating too hard the other half were people either ill equipped to drive uphill over ice or just driving like idiots.

My favourite was a lorry stuck outside the defence forces. The sight of a lorry making snow angels is both terrifying and hilarious in equal measures, the sight of people overtaking it with f all clearance was awe inspiring, what on earth would possess you??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Not a stupid question at all. So many nut cases moaning about people driving slow, i wanted to know what they think the appropriate speed is.

At least your reply was not obnoxious i suppose. That would only increase my road rage

IMO the minimum speed is the one at which you feel the forward momentum of your car keeping your wheels in line.

To me speed isn't as much an issue as braking and acceleration distances are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    +1, what happened & what were you driving?

You know what i drive, J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Kiera wrote: »
    Wrong!

You have no idea what kind of roads I am driving slow on! My estate is like an ice rink so yes, I am going to drive slow. I’m not some idiot who’s going to do 10km on a gritted road!

There are idiots out there who are doing 10km hour on gritted roads. Get out of your cars and WALK!!!

steve9859 wrote: »
    There are idiots out there who are doing 10km hour on gritted roads. Get out of your cars and WALK!!!

I know! I saw a few doing it this morning. The main roads were totally gritted and clear and these knobs were still doing 15km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Yes there is driving way to fast out there,

But there are twice as many driving to slow.

For example: one car driving at 3mph on a clear GRITTED road with 50 cars piled up behind . It drives me nuts. It drives everyone nuts.

If you have no confidence to control your car while in slippy conditions. (and i dont mean driving too fast).

STAY AT HOME! You are as much as a hazard as speeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

kincsem wrote: »
    My car stays in my driveway until the thaw. My first venture out was on foot on Sunday at 20:00. About a quarter mile from my house there was an accident with the full scene: fire brigade; squad car; ambulance. They were taking someone away on a stretcher.

It was at a traffic lights, a car going too fast rear-ending a stopped car.

The people complaining here about slow driving need to start their journeys earlier.

I start my journey earlier, always have in ice and snow, last Christnas Day it took me 1 hour and 15 mins to come from work, normally a 40 minute journey. I certainly don't do my normal speed, I also don't crawl along at 10mph. Theres a middle ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i am forced to take public transport in the snow cause i dont wanna drive my bike in these conditions. i am travelling from drumcondra to ballymount. it takes 2 hours. half of that journey is walking because the busses have practically stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Why?

Coz I want to?! :)

Its a nice hobby recording what's going on, I can look back on the winter of 2010 when i'm 80 over a pint and say 'ah those were the days of the beginning of the ice age and people didn't believe me!';)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A bit of a struggle uphill this morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gsxr1 wrote: »
    You are as much as a hazard as speeders.

They are not a hazard to anyone, yes they may be going annoyingly slow but that is not going to harm anyone in any way at all. Now the person behind who can't control their need to go faster than the person in front is a hazard and it is them who will be causing accidents by driving dangerously. Maybe that person behind won't get upset and cause an accident if the person in front were to drive a bit faster, but that is not the problem of the person in front it is entirely down to the person behind not controlling their need to rush somewhere unimportant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Yes its completly infuriating when these people drive at 10 mph on roads that are safe to drive on at 30pm. This morning I had the pleasure of being stuck behind a large 4*4 range rover doing 10mph with at least 30 cars delayed behind her.

No chance of her either pulling in or speeding up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

robinph wrote: »
    They are not a hazard to anyone, yes they may be going annoyingly slow but that is not going to harm anyone in any way at all.

Actually, if i'm going 10/20k i'm stuck, barely in 3rd gear. In the snow, RSA state "Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin."

So I cant get into 4th or 5th gear and trust me I notice the differece over 3rd gear so YES you are causing me into a lower gear and I have less control over my car... So to does the guy going slower btw!

Slow is not always safe, despite the best intentions to drive safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

qwytre wrote: »
    Yes its completly infuriating when these people drive at 10 mph on roads that are safe to drive on at 30pm. This morning I had the pleasure of being stuck behind a large 4*4 range rover doing 10mph with at least 30 cars delayed behind her.

4x4's without studded or winter tyres are probably one of the most dangerous projectiles that can be put on snowy/icy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Everytime I hear a car with it's loud exhaust reving the shìte out of it's engine and tearing off up the road I wish just once they'd lose control and smash into a lamp.................hurting no pedestrians or other drivers, of course.

One time a mate was bringing me from Boyle to Castlerea (that road is a deathwish this time of year) in his shìtty done-up Civic, it was foggy and icy but we were travelling quite slowly and mildly. Whenever I was in that car with him I made sure he drove like a normal driver and not speed, otherwise I always clapped him over the head for doing so.

Next thing, a boy racer behind us starts flashing his headlights and drives up beside us looking for a race..........in the state the roads were in :eek: I told my mate not to get any fùckin' ideas in his head but fortunately he's smarter than that and wasn't having none of it. So the boy racer tears off and while on the opposite side of an icy road flies around a blind corner and pulls onto the right side juuuuuuuuust missing a lorry coming towards him.

Fùckin' idiots and their cars should be shot. Cùnts like him is why my sister was nearly crippled in a car accident outside my house.

4x4's without studded or winter tyres are probably one of the most dangerous projectiles that can be put on snowy/icy roads.

Please explain....how are they any different to any other car? Maybe a bit heavier but probably about the same as the large exec cars like 7 series.

Please explain....how are they any different to any other car? Maybe a bit heavier but probably about the same as the large exec cars like 7 series.
    OK. Imagine someone in a Landy or a RR planting the boot with summer tyres, hitting ice and flying out of control.

If they hit a curb or a pole or something, they're more likely to keep going and do more damage and/or flip depending on their centre of gravity and how low they hit an obstacle.

Plus people in a 7 series know not to floor it with RWD. People in 4x4's think they're invincible 'cause they've got 4WD. They never stop to think about the rubber.

• Advertisement

OK. Imagine someone in a Landy or a RR planting the boot with summer tyres, hitting ice and flying out of control.

If they hit a curb or a pole or something, they're more likely to keep going and do more damage and/or flip depending on their centre of gravity and how low they hit an obstacle.

Plus people in a 7 series know not to floor it with RWD. People in 4x4's think they're invincible 'cause they've got 4WD. They never stop to think about the rubber.

So you are saying its really depends on the driver and the way they drive.

Actually a 4x4 would have greater traction due to weight and tyre size than a small car. I drive an avensis and appreciate its size and solidity on the road in this weather.

I'm not sure he understands how 4x4's work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Spot on.

I hate to see snow, not because I don;t like to drive in it but because I know the roads will be chock-a-block with useless idiots. There is nothing to snow driving and it's quite safe to go at 30mph, even faster if you are going uphill - the amount of idiots I see crawling up a hill then getting stuck is infuriating. After you sort your speed all you have to do is avoid using your brake and slow using your gears which is more than sufficient at around 30mph to slow you down to a level where you can safely brake then stop if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

Actually a 4x4 would have greater traction due to weight and tyre size than a small car. I drive an avensis and appreciate its size and solidity on the road in this weather.
    actually i have seen alot of evidence to the contrary regarding 4x4 although i think it may have been user error rather than the 4x4 not able to deal with it.

No. Take a driver of a 4x4 in winter. Then take the same driver and the same vehicle and put studded or winter tyres on and safety is increased immensely.
    4WD isn't much use if your tyres can't find traction. Keep in mind some of the 4x4's on todays market are not off road 4x4's so they wont have a high & low transmission setting. It'll be one ratio for the gears and that's it. The luxury will probably go as high as being able to switch between 2wd and 4wd.
    ciagr297 wrote: »
    actually i have seen alot of evidence to the contrary regarding 4x4 although i think it may have been user error rather than the 4x4 not able to deal with it.
    That'd be a big contributing factor aswell. A lot of people who have 4wd think they're grand 'cause of it but they're not. They might be better off than some people with RWD or FWD but not at a massive margin unless they know how their vehicle works and have proper tyres on it.

A RWD or FWD with winter or studded tyres is much safer and easier to control than a 4x4 with summer tyres.

ciagr297 wrote: »

Indeed, probably the aforementioned sense on invincibility, it still should be driven the ay any vehicle should be driven in these conditions.

No. Take a driver of a 4x4 in winter. Then take the same driver and the same vehicle and put studded or winter tyres on and safety is increased immensely.

Cars dont change their own tyres. Its all down to the driver ultimatley in the way they drive and the way they prepare their vehicle.

Cars dont change their own tyres. Its all down to the driver ultimatley in the way they drive and the way they prepare their vehicle.
    My point is anyone who drives anything with 4wd and expects it to behave the same in the winter as any other time of the year with it's summer tyres on is going to have an accident. Same goes with all cars. If it's not prepped right or you're night prepped right, it's a recipe for disaster.

You can find out your cars limits and your own limits but you wont always know the roads limits in bad weather like we're getting now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

those fellas drivin the big double decker yokes.... :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement