Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete tools on the roads!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    My point is anyone who drives anything with 4wd and expects it to behave the same in the winter as any other time of the year with it's summer tyres on is going to have an accident. Same goes with all cars. If it's not prepped right or you're night prepped right, it's a recipe for disaster.

You can find out your cars limits and your own limits but you wont always know the roads limits in bad weather like we're getting now.

They'd want to be a total idiot to think they could drive the same in these conditions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Kiera wrote: »
    They'd want to be a total idiot to think they could drive the same in these conditions!
    Believe it or not, some of them do and that's where it gets dangerous! The illusion that because they've twice as many wheels turning = twice as safe at twice the speed others are doing.

They'll be able to pull off and build up momentum easier than FWD and RWD but with summer tyres, stopping is a different thing altogether. It'll slide the same as any other car with summer tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    Believe it or not, some of them do and that's where it gets dangerous! The illusion that because they've twice as many wheels turning = twice as safe at twice the speed others are doing.

They'll be able to pull off and build up momentum easier than FWD and RWD but with summer tyres, stopping is a different thing altogether. It'll slide the same as any other car with summer tyres.

Like i said, they're idiots. Even i know how 4x4's work and i dont drive one as you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sham_Lad

Some12 wrote: »
    One for the History channel!

Ireland: Ice Road Feckers!

Aine "2KPH" O'Connell - "I drive 2KPH or less. Feck those behind me!"

Paddy "Outta my way" O'Reilly - "I don't see no feckin ice on the road. Get the hell out of my way!"

A sure hit!

Ha! Great show!

Hugh "The polar bear" Rowland- "There is no Feckin way I'm ice road trucking in Ireland with those Feckers there"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So what? I drive slow because I crashed last year in this weather. So if you’re behind me and I’m driving slow, tough fúcking shít!

You have no idea what happened so that's an idiotic comment! :rolleyes:

I do actually know what happened - you were driving too fast for the icy conditions & ended up driving up on top of a roundabout instead of around it.

So it's pretty rich of you to tell other people that they should stay at home or take the bus, or indeed how they should modify their driving behaviour, when it's pretty obvious that you are a clear & present danger in these conditions.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I do actually know what happened - you were driving too fast for the icy conditions & ended up driving up on top of a roundabout instead of around it.

So it's pretty rich of you to tell other people that they should stay at home or take the bus, or indeed how they should modify their driving behaviour, when it's pretty obvious that you are a clear & present danger in these conditions.

;)

And she has said she learned a lesson since then - I believe this was the entire point of her comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Can we keep the noise down to a minimum please.

Anything personal can be taken to pm.

Topic.

Get back on it now please.

Some12 wrote: »
    Thought it was on topic but I tried.... See above you.

If you wanna know the details you could try pming her and asking what happened.

This thread is not for airing dirty washing. Argue the rights and wrongs of how to drive in the snow til the cows come home but like when you drive use your loaf. This is my last warning about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

The way I see it, if someone in front of you is driving too slowly, why not overtake them? I don't think anyone is taking the piss if they're driving too slowly, god knows they probably had a near miss already and have decided to slow down to keep themselves (and others) safe.
    When I'm out driving in weather like we have now, I'll go at the speed I feel most comfortable with. Once or twice there have been cars right up behind me. They've always had ample opportunity to overtake me, but for some strange reason they decide not to. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but maybe it has something to do with the road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Watch 3 crazy cyclist fall over today, funny thing is; they actually looked surprised!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

curlzy wrote: »
    Watch 3 crazy cyclist fall over today, funny thing is; they actually looked surprised!!!!:D

I cycle everywhere. Ive seen far more issues with cars than from people on bikes. In my opinion it is far worse to go out in a car if you don't know how to drive in these conditions than if you go out on a bike. At least crashing on a bike you won't hurt anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I cycle everywhere. Ive seen far more issues with cars than from people on bikes. In my opinion it is far worse to go out in a car if you don't know how to drive in these conditions than if you go out on a bike. At least crashing on a bike you won't hurt anyone else.

If some numpty crashed into me I'd prefer to be in a car than on a bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I moaned earlier in thread about pedestrians and I nearly hit one today. She didn't bother looking right, looking straight down at her mobile was more important. Driving me nuts!

whatever about the 4x4 drivers/taxis/buses...what about the L drivers? Saw 3 of them just stop in the left lane of M50 at Red Cow yesterday while trying to join the q to get off which was at a standstill for an hour at least while they reversed a gritter down it. This stopping in the left lane caused trucks to jam on their brakes and swing into the lane beside them. I was shocked not to see a crash.

Then on the M7 another L plate driver in front of me kept jamming on brakes and driving too close to the person in front...and she was on her mobile. If you saw the M7 at about 4pm yesterday you know how bad it was and jamming on the brakes while up someone's a'rse wasn't the best idea.

Then another L driver kept putting the accelorator down hard when taking off in 1st in front of me today. All over the shop he was.

If you're an L driver take public transport and wait for the thaw, you're causing a hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

SV wrote: »
    Eh, Where abouts was this, pray tell?
    Seeing as I haven't done any overtaking during this bout of weather, I'm very curious :)

was before the cold snap, coming in the n9, you over took a line of cars on that straight stretch, as a car was coming towards you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    If you're an L driver take public transport and wait for the thaw, you're causing a hazard

If your an L driver then what are you doing on M roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

robinph wrote: »
    If your an L driver then what are you doing on M roads?
    newsflash, most L drivers drive on their own, some do it on the motorways.

Its just another example of a law that isnt enforced at all. However I agree L drivers shouldnt be driving in these conditions.

(I have a full licence btw)

Max Power1 wrote: »
    newsflash, most L drivers drive on their own, some do it on the motorways.

Its just another example of a law that isnt enforced at all. However I agree L drivers shouldnt be driving in these conditions.

(I have a full licence btw)

Yup they drive where they like, just like us with the full licences....they just pay higher insurance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

whatever about the 4x4 drivers/taxis/buses...what about the L drivers? Saw 3 of them just stop in the left lane of M50 at Red Cow yesterday while trying to join the q to get off which was at a standstill for an hour at least while they reversed a gritter down it. This stopping in the left lane caused trucks to jam on their brakes and swing into the lane beside them. I was shocked not to see a crash.

Then on the M7 another L plate driver in front of me kept jamming on brakes and driving too close to the person in front...and she was on her mobile. If you saw the M7 at about 4pm yesterday you know how bad it was and jamming on the brakes while up someone's a'rse wasn't the best idea.

Then another L driver kept putting the accelorator down hard when taking off in 1st in front of me today. All over the shop he was.

Learner Drivers are not allowed drive on a motorway!!

Yup they drive where they like, just like us with the full licences....they just pay higher insurance!

to be fair the insurance is higher for a reason.

I know they're not allowed on the motorway! They still do though and always will...gettin in my way. I'll shake my fist at them next time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

robinph wrote: »
    They are not a hazard to anyone, yes they may be going annoyingly slow but that is not going to harm anyone in any way at all. Now the person behind who can't control their need to go faster than the person in front is a hazard and it is them who will be causing accidents by driving dangerously. Maybe that person behind won't get upset and cause an accident if the person in front were to drive a bit faster, but that is not the problem of the person in front it is entirely down to the person behind not controlling their need to rush somewhere unimportant.

No.

It goes way past annoying TBH. And the massive line of other drivers behind would probably feel the same.

Its common cortesy for a tractor to pull over and let everyone pass. In fact the cops enforce it.

Why cant these dumbo 5mph drivers do the same. There is 100 people behind with a boiling over temper . Which is far from safe. Pushing peoples buttons and causing rage is a very dangerous situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Saw the garda traffic corp pull over a driver today at Connolly station. His brake lights were covered in snow, so I imagine that's why. Was surprised, as I thought they only carried out speed checks on motorways.

Also saw about 3 drivers today on the quays with fog lights on. It had stopped snowing and visibility was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

No. There's only two excuses for driving at ridiculously low speeds in this weather;

1. You don't have winter tyres fitted.

and

2. You don't know how to drive properly in icy conditions.

In my opinion, these are the people who should be walking & taking the bus as they are just as dangerous to other drivers as idiots speeding & doing dangerous overtaking.

and how do you suppose people are going to learn to drive on snow and ice unless they go out there and build up the confidence needed to "drive properly in icy conditions". rent out an ice rink for a night, ffs!!

and on that same point how do people reckon they are well able to drive safely in ice and snow, but yet drive up the backsides of slower cars when the braking distance is TEN times that of normal, more than likely causing said slow driver to be more nervous / less aware of his/her driving.

its snow and ice lads, it can be pretty frightening for some people.

overall, i think a bit of empathy on the roads, from everyone, is whats needed on the roads at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

1) far too many idiots not clearing the snow off their car. They clear enough to see out the front window but don't clear the sides or the back window. I'm sorry but is not a blind spot and surley it is also illegal. I doubt they'd buy a car with the windows all tinted or painted, its lazy and just plain stupid.

2) I saw another idiot who swaped lanes on the N32 at least 10 times within the space of 15min or less. He didn't bother to indicate once he just cut people off when changing and it was dangerous because of ice and cars skidding. I finally lost it after he cut off another car just at the lights, rolled down the window and gave him plenty of verbals.

Rant over :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I'm still amazed at all the people over taking when it is obvious it's not safe. Yes driving at 10mph is annoying but so is some wanker tailgating me only to overtake me & then realise that he made a mistake so the stupid fcuker just slows down in front of me & drives at my speed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That area was a nigthmare yesterday.

That's pure stupid driving. If the driver was a leaner then it's even worse. She'll end up dead if she drives like that. It's annoying that the young men get the abuse and high premiums.

Many drivers with full licenses do the same. The only difference between the two is the L driver is actually learning how to drive and the other supposedly knows how to drive.

They are entitled to drive too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

They are entitled to drive too though.

As long as they have a passenger who holds a full license...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

As long as they have a passenger who holds a full license...

Very true.

Also, not every car that has an L plate has a L driver driving ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement