Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AIB pay staff €40 million in bonuses

• 01-12-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

AIB are paying out its Capital Market staff €40 million in bonuses. Article mentions the €10 million pay out for employees that are being paid out for 90 employees whose claim was over €38,000. When all other Capital Market Staff is taken into account the bill comes to nearly €40 million. (see comment 3 below the article). Think this is totally outrageous!

People may say that the banks made profits in 2008. The banks did not make profits when you think of all the loans that they made in that year that are now in NAMA.

http://news.efinancialcareers.ie/new...wsItemId-29465

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

small change compared to what their recapitalisation will cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'll take it from here guys.

OMG WTF NOOOOOOoooo!!!!

etc etc etc
    its your fault,
    no, its YOUR fault
    EU, no IMF, no Bertie, no Brian
    somebody should do something,
    OMG OMG

/thread

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

zuroph wrote: »

OMG WTF NOOOOOOoooo!!!!

etc etc etc
    its your fault,
    no, its YOUR fault
    OMG OMG

/thread

Pffft....

Someone with exactly your view on things would say something like that wouldn't they..

I disagree massively with everything you say however I refuse to fully qualify my viewpoints untill enough people have said their piece and I can weigh in on the obviously winning side while pretending to have been there all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I disagree massively with everything you say however I refuse to fully qualify my viewpoints untill enough people have said their piece and I can weigh in on the obviously winning side while pretending to have been there all along.

Are you a politician?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

In the USA, the banks were told that if they paid bonuses, the same amount would be deducted from their bailout. The same should happen here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

zuroph wrote: »

OMG WTF NOOOOOOoooo!!!!

etc etc etc
    its your fault,
    no, its YOUR fault
    OMG OMG

/thread

you forgot sinn fein/croke park agreement/the swans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Are you a politician?

That's a very interesting question that you have asked there...

My opponent wouldn't know how to answer a simple question like that, he'd probably just keep rambeling on and on about mundane non related issues untill he ran out of time or the conversation was moved on to another topic.

he wouldn't be able to give a straight up answer like me,
    and that' why you should vote for me, because I give you the straight forward and simple answers.
    I don't just avoid questions and ramble on about non related issues.

I'm blunt, to the point, and honest.

On and on he'd talk about different topics, none of them related to the original question at all.. You'd think that he must have answered it by now, but no, my opponent still wouldn't have answered the simple question "Are you a politician"?

And what is a politician really?
    It's responsibility...
    Responsibility for promises and actions that you have either planned to make or already made.
    Responsibility to the people of whatever particular demographic I'm trying to get votes from at the moment.
    Responsibility to the economy and to keeping the country operational.

On and on he'd ramble.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wish a banker would register with boards so I could ban their ass,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's all the fault of the Public Service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

My opponent wouldn't know how to answer a simple question like that, he'd probably just keep rambeling on and on about mundane non related issues untill he ran out of time or the conversation was moved on to another topic.

and that' why you should vote for me, because I give you the straight forward and simple answers.

On and on he'd talk about different topics, none of them related to the original question at all.. You'd think that he must have answered it by now, but no, my opponent still wouldn't have answered the simple question "Are you a politician"?

It's responsibility...
    Responsibility for promises and actions that you have either planned to make or already made.
    Responsibility to the people of whatever particular demographic I'm trying to get votes from at the moment.

You Turd Sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It's responsibility...

Promise me a bypass and you'll have my vote. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheBanker

biko wrote: »

good morning. Sorry I'm late, I was counting my bonus money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The bank staff deserve the bonuses, after all they did such a good job loaning out cash to people that could'nt pay it back.

Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That's Ireland for ya, rewarding mediocrity since 1922!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

iMax wrote: »
    In the USA, the banks were told that if they paid bonuses, the same amount would be deducted from their bailout. The same should happen here.

Best suggestion yet, never mind all the poor excuse for jokes across this thread. This type of carry on its unreal given the state of these 'private enterprises'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i shall, in the interests of the nation, hang and flay a banker today. anyone interested in a skin lampshade please PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheBanker

listermint wrote: »
    Best suggestion yet, never mind all the poor excuse for jokes across this thread. This type of carry on its unreal given the state of these 'private enterprises'

Shhhhhh peasant.

TheBanker wrote: »
    Shhhhhh peasant.

I used to drink in you, poor pint though imo

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Our Gerry will come and sort them she-iites out...GO ON THE GERRY LAD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Wunch of Bankers :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

TheBanker wrote: »
    good morning. Sorry I'm late, I was counting my bonus money.
    Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ah no, are there any more chipsticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Your tax money hard at work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Well, given that the cap markets people make money :eek: for the bank and have nothing to do with dodgy loans, there's no reason why someone shouldn't get the bonus they were promised.

Well, given that the cap markets people make money :eek: for the bank and have nothing to do with dodgy loans, there's no reason why someone shouldn't get the bonus they were promised.

Given that they are a devision of the bank and owe the government Billions, Yes there is. They should be on a cost cutting excercise. Your point is mute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In a ideal world maybe but in ireland its the taxpayers that fund the banks at the moment and im sure the majority of taxpayers (ie the ones keeping the banks afloat) dont want more money being wasted on these sort of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Or send them to coventry - the paranoia of loneliness will do them in eventually ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

It's responsibility...

With all due respect and in the most unparlimentary language, fuck you deputy Wazdakka, fu ckyou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

bastados wrote: »
    Our Gerry will come and sort them she-iites out...GO ON THE GERRY LAD!

Hes only annoyed that they have no money now and they are not worth robbing anymore.

• Advertisement

Daddio wrote: »
    Or send them to coventry - the paranoia of loneliness will do them in eventually ;)

Coventry is a lovely place, they would enjoy it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1201/banks-business.html
    The Central Bank found that only one bank was taking an obvious lead on reforming pay policies. 'While the majority of banks have started to reform their remuneration policies and practices, the balance of our findings is discouraging,' commented Jonathan McMahon, head of financial institutions supervision at the Central Bank.

'If a bank is not employing the right financial incentives, it is not managing its risks - it's as simple as that,' he added.

The review - which was conducted in September and October - found little evidence that banks have 'self-consciously' made a link between their risk appetite and their incentive structures. The Central Bank says this exposes banks - and the State - to the consequences of inappropriate risk taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Coventry is a lovely place, they would enjoy it :D
    Coventry is more of a state of mind, than a place. ;)

Daddio wrote: »
    Coventry is more of a state of mind, than a place. ;)

I beg to differ, I stayed in the place, now as for the state of MY mind while there...................:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

What's a banker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Old news is old.

Last month's thread on the exact same topic can be found here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

hi. as far as i can remember aib where brought to court over these bonuses so they were ordered to pay the bonuses through the courts.

i myself work in this bank im a low level member of staff i havent got a pay rise/bonus in 3 years.
    but i want to add we and other low level staff in any of the banks didnt cause all this even the ones in anglo.. its the senior managers eg the ceo and so forth are to blame.
    same goes for people in hse and public sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

cazzak79 wrote: »
    i myself work in this bank im a low level member of staff i havent got a pay rise/bonus in 3 years.

Did you do anything to deserve a pay rise/bonus ? Most people are working longer and harder than before in order to get by.

Have you had a pay cut, though, like most of the private sector who are working in companies that are struggling ?

Before you flame me, I'm not saying that it's fair that you would get hit with one, but that's what happens in the real world when people run companies into the ground, and it's the lowest level staff that gets hit.

Yes, the people at the top are the ones who should be hammered, but the bottom line is that were it not for the Irish taxpayer you wouldn't even have a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    but the bottom line is that were it not for the Irish taxpayer you wouldn't even have a job.

If it wasn't for the irish taxpayer, nobody would have a job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The government could stop all this in an instant.
    They could bring in a tax/levy for people earning over €150,000 a year.
    These are the people who can pay, not the people eaning minimum wage.
    I'd suggest 10-20% levy on anything over 150K.
    Why should people earning small amounts have to pay when the bankers are still earning their large salaries and most of them haven't taken any pay cuts, lose of bonus etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭travnett

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Why should people earning small amounts have to pay when the bankers are still earning their large salaries and most of them haven't taken any pay cuts, lose of bonus etc?

How do you know for sure that the Bank workers haven't taken a pay cut or lose of bonus? Has someone that works at the bank told you directly that or are you just listening to the media?

If you were following the various news articles you would see that bonuses haven't being paid to staff since 2008 to members of A.I.B and other banks. As was said before this bonus pay out is the results of the courts not AIB. AIB didn't want to pay it but are now forced to due to the legal action taken by one of it's traders. And this trader had the legal right to do it as his bonus was kept from him illegally. Now whether this is morally responsible or not is another thing but it is/was within this guy's right to do what he did.

Let me put something to everyone who is bashing the bankers and public service workers a question here. If the roles were reversed and you were in this guy's position (i.e a trader who in actual fact works long hours and quite hard at times for his money) and your employer didn't pay you a bonus you were due which you worked very hard for and deserved and was stated in you contract about bonuses being paid. I bet a vast majority of you would do the same as what the trader did and especially in this climate.

As was said before it's not the normal workers in these banks that are to blame, they were only following orders from the upper management and CEO. A lot of them had targets to reach within the group. It is now the frontline staff who have to face YOU the Joe Public quick to point fingers and mouth off every single day. These people are just there to do a job, they have no say in how the banks are run so please just lay off them. I am sure if YOU worked for these banks as a normal frontline worker you wouldn't appreciate the stuff that YOU are saying about them. It is not their fault that they choose the bank as their career.

People should be focusing on the CEO and upper managements who have since left the banks with their great big fat bonuses, pensions and pay outs.

BTW, okidoki987 this post isn't aimed solely at you but rather all the posters in this and other threads.

We are in this mess cause the government screwed up, they should have let the banks fail, they should have grown some balls and told the ECB and IMF to F*** off, they should have negotiated better with them. Cowen should go! We no longer operate as a democracy it has become a dictatorship. The Lisbon treaty voted NO 1st time that should have being the end of it but no instead the Government told us we WILL vote again We should never have aloud that to happen!! The people of Ireland want Cowen gone but yet he is saying F Off I'll go when I want. Since when is that how a democracy works??? We need to bring in direct democracy like they do in Switzerland. That way we would have more rights and say on how the country is run

• Advertisement
Advertisement