Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wonder is it anything to do with the controversy surrounding it?

For all we know, the person Atlus contacted at Sony didn't know anything about the game, was googling it when checking up on publishing rights, saw 'SEXUALIZATION OF CHILDREN!' in big red letters and just thought '**** NO! BURY THIS DEEPER IN THE ARCHIVES, QUICK!!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd say Retr0 is on the money, it sounds like a deal or negotiation broke down & the project was canned :(

Master of the Universe

I prefer my theory to be honest, it has far more drama :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wonder is it anything to do with the controversy surrounding it?

For all we know, the person Atlus contacted at Sony didn't know anything about the game, was googling it when checking up on publishing rights, saw 'SEXUALIZATION OF CHILDREN!' in big red letters and just thought '**** NO! BURY THIS DEEPER IN THE ARCHIVES, QUICK!!!'

It was only really a problem with the European press. It started with some nobody politician in Poland I think and spiraled out of control. Atlus seem to have a way of dodging the controversy bullet, I'm still not sure how Persona 3 which involved teenagers shooting themselves in the head to summon demons got away scott free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's more interesting that the slaughter of minorities in Medal of Duty games gets a free pass but surviving horror as a vulnerable girl is an unacceptable past time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game is pretty much Lord of the Flies except about the cruelty of girls if society is not there to stop them. It's a really messed up game in the same vein as Silent Hill. All the surreal imagery in the game doesn't really make sense until you understand the game. As a piece of videogame storytelling it's almost up there with Silent Hill 2, there's one plot point that I feel holds it back because it's a bit far fetched.

It's a shame that a game that explores bullying and sexual abuse in such an intelligent manner gets all the flak where as ciderman says the indiscriminate killing of minorities gets a free pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's more interesting that the slaughter of minorities in Medal of Duty games gets a free pass but surviving horror as a vulnerable girl is an unacceptable past time.

Ah, the sensationalists achilles' heel...logic & rationalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

As posted in Bargain Alerts in case any of ye miss it - Stargunner Free on GOG.com

https://secure.gog.com/game/stargunner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Every now and again I say something that makes sense, helps lend credence to my ongoing Golden Axe hate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

/CoughRetr0-perfectchristmassurpriseopportunity/cough :pac:
    I'll probably get it myself before then lol :3
    might be too lazy to look though

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

One of the rarest Game and Watches, and factory sealed too! Already on fairly big money, interested in seeing what this ends at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-GAME-WATCH-MICKEY-MOUSE-PANORAMA-FACTORY-SEALED-HOLY-GRAIL-WOW-/171120696894?pt=UK_VideoGames_Merchandise_RL&hash=item27d7969e3e

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah those Neo Geo cabs really do look like mental I think. Its like a cab designed by a child or something, hard to put my finger on it, but they are awesome!

Master of the Universe

Yeah those Neo Geo cabs really do look like mental I think. Its like a cab designed by a child or something, hard to put my finger on it, but they are awesome!

Its the cab I first played SNK games on, so the nostalgia factor is through the roof!

If that wasn't the case I'd probably thinks it's a monstrosity :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Went on a trek today to find a retro game store in Calgary. There's only one in the city, whereas Edmonton up the road has 4 I think.
    The one in Calgary is called Retro Trading Post and does all the major systems and had a few neo geo, 3do and other such consoles as well. The prices of their games are shocking though.
    Loose cart of Mario RPG $199
    Tatty boxed Mario RPG $349
    Metroid boxed $199
    Had a quick browse through the loose carts and I was wasting my time. Prices of their consoles takes this to another level though with a loose grey N64 with 3 controllers and smash bros $249 and some stook was asking about it! They were busy as well, which is nuts with those prices.
    Been a total bust in regards nicely priced games.

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/retro-arcade-machine-for-sale/3773453

I can usually see potential in most cabs but not sure about this one!

Master of the Universe

I think I've seen that cab before, did the owner post a pic here maybe?

The buttons look like Trivial Pursuit pieces :D

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Must be a lucrative business. But, think how much your games can be worth if you get your VGA graded game graded by the VGQ and then VGA graded again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Looks like they graded it themselves judging by their username.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Looks like they graded it themselves judging by their username.

:eek: - didn't notice that!

/runs out to buy plastic boxes and stickers.

Master of the Universe

I see the Pyongster is selling his Batrider pcb :eek:

Man, I'd love to buy this. Great price. Sense is currently winning out though with the 'you'd be an idiot to spend €460 on a videogame...plus you're broke!' line. :(

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25396

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I see the Pyongster is selling his Batrider pcb :eek:

Man, I'd love to buy this. Great price. Sense is currently winning out though with the 'you'd be an idiot to spend €460 on a videogame...plus you're broke!' line. :(

€360 no? Sure that's 'only' a little over twice what Cidey paid for his GTAV collectors edition. ;)

He was selling his Ibara recently then decided against it I heard, looks like it was sold afterall. :(

Master of the Universe

Woops! meant €360, twas a typo :o

It's not bad, not bad at all...and then there's the huge allure of the fact that you wouldn't have to worry about international postage or any of that crap..it also looks dead clean..

Damn it, please buy it before I give in :pac:

Woops! meant €360, twas a typo :o

It's not bad, not bad at all...and then there's the huge allure of the fact that you wouldn't have to worry about international postage or any of that crap..it also looks dead clean..

Damn it, please buy it before I give in :pac:

Lol haven't the funds unfortunately. Yeah at least you know you're getting one bought straight from MAK and was taken good care of, B version too. Mountain of content in it. Surprised he's selling that one actually, that was his grail I thought.

Sounds like a good deal, would look amazing on your Tated cab O1s1n

Holy crapola - he just updated the thread to say he's selling everything? :eek:

Don't need it and haven't the dosh but damn I'd like that Raijin supergun!

@o1s1n - not sure if he added new pics of Batrider but that PCB looks mint. I forgot how gorgeous a clean PCB looks. :cool:

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sounds like a good deal, would look amazing on your Tated cab O1s1n

Indeed it would man, indeed it would!

Argh, stoppit! I thought you were the voice of reason :D
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Holy crapola - he just updated the thread to say he's selling everything? :eek:

Don't need it and haven't the dosh but damn I'd like that Raijin supergun!

@o1s1n - not sure if he added new pics of Batrider but that PCB looks mint. I forgot how gorgeous a clean PCB looks. :cool:

Wowza. So he has. I had a feeling when he sold the Astro that would be the beginning of the end. As great as his supergun is, I don't think I'd hold onto my PCBs if i had to let the cabs go. It's just not the same.

The Batrider PCB really does look gorgeous. Unfortunately I've just spent too much this month. Ack. Bad timing.

Anyone have any idea whys he's selling all his stuff?

Ian seemed to be over the moon when he finally got batrider, I'm really surprised to see he's selling it

• Advertisement

Anyone have any idea whys he's selling all his stuff?

Ian seemed to be over the moon when he finally got batrider, I'm really surprised to see he's selling it

Might have overdosed on the arcade GETs and his interest for it just waned, still keeping his console gear he mentioned.

Master of the Universe

I've seen it happen before, people's priorities change (as they do) and suddenly a stack of boards and chips doesn't mean as much anymore.

Shame to see him sell Batrider though, especially as it was picked up first hand in Japan.

Speaking of which, I've had to keep my hands tied behind my back to stay away from that board, I've been after that game for an eternity.

I'll regret not picking it up, but I'll also regret buying it as I couldn't afford such an extravagant purchase right now.

Oh well, looks to be on hold pending payment, so I guess that's my decision made up for me!

I'm so pissed off

Just missed out on an ebay auction for a boxed Mega Drive for £5.20.....bad enough but it came with a copy of Time Killers! :(

Bidding on my phone and my ****ty Galaxy S1 didnt connect or something and my bid of a tener never went through

Master of the Universe

Serious??? Argh!!!

Yeah its a load of balls isnt it!

Master of the Universe

Was it complete in box with the booklet and everything?

Feck man, these things never leave you! I still think about the PAL BIN Punisher I passed up for £30, the PAL Fatal Fury 2 I fell asleep for which ended at £25 and the Kolibri BIN I also passed up at £30 or £40.

Kind of makes you never want to look up the game on ebay again :D

• Advertisement

Well heres the thing, it had 4 games and the seller listed them as 3 having the manual. So there was a 75% chance it was complete. Which was a added little bonus haha

Oh yeah, they will never leave you, until you find a replacement! :)

Re Pyongy
    I hope everything is ok with him.
    I know he parted ways with A&R in what I'll describe as unfortunate circumstances.
    I know selling up ones precious collection is a big deal so, just hope everything with him is cool.
    And just to add, I'd love to see him back, posting here .

Yeah I hope everything is ok with him too, He's really a super nice chap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I only met him the once, hell of a nice chap. It's a big step breaking up a collection, he told me he's hanging on to the console stuff so hope to see him back around these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well Pyongys GNet is staying in our retro family at least:)

• Advertisement

Gnet is a savage bit of kit!
    Love puzzle bobble on it!
    great 2player action

Master of the Universe

urbanledge wrote: »
    Gnet is a savage bit of kit!
    Love puzzle bobble on it!
    great 2player action

Oh yeah! Forgot I bought that! :D Put it in my GNET box and forgot about it.

Oh yeah! Forgot I bought that! :D Put it in my GNET box and forgot about it.

I suppose that's one of the risks of being a pcb tycoon. I still only have the one and a multi cart:o

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I suppose that's one of the risks of being a pcb tycoon. I still only have the one and a multi cart:o

Great phrase that! :pac:

At least you won't suffer from apathy with having too much choice. :)

Which PCB have you out of interest?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Great phrase that! :pac:

At least you won't suffer from apathy with having too much choice. :)

Which PCB have you out of interest?

Mr Driller 2, picked it up off Oisin for the cab I got from Pyongyang. They
    say you always remember your first;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Who was your first ? Oisin or Pyongyang ?

Who was your first ? Oisin or Pyongyang ?

I'm saying nothing:o But in a chicken and egg type situation it was the cab that came first:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

For those looking for an RGB switch the "Bandridge Premium Performance 5 Way Automatic SCART Selector Switching Box" has dropped in price by a lot on Amazon (about 25 sterling now instead of really silly money). They are supposed to be very good and I know a few guys over on http://shmups.system11.org/ are using them.
    I've not tried them myself but have just ordered the auto switching one (even though I've said I'd never go auto, it's supposed to be good) and will see how that goes.
    Audio out as well which is handy.

41kguWbzq9L.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0015YYN2Q/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Solaris have bnib copies of Rockman Zero 2 on gba for about 15 euro with delivery. It's not a bad little game for that money.
    http://www.solarisjapan.com/rockman-zero-2/

You're better off getting the collection on des.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement