Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Corholio wrote: »
    The 'Earthbounds' are the worst, slight label colour differences is all you have to go on.

It's a minefield nowadays buying expensive/uncommon Snes games. Earthbound is particularly plagued with repro's, given it's the go-to 'rare' game among the masses. First thing I did was open mine when it landed from the states to check it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's a minefield nowadays buying expensive/uncommon Snes games. Earthbound is particularly plagued with repro's, given it's the go-to 'rare' game among the masses. First thing I did was open mine when it landed from the states to check it.

Some of them are getting too good now that any expensive games bought really need to be opened up and the chip inspected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »

I got some shock when you were saying that those TSOP adapters have a 10 year or so lifespan. I'd say lots of 'Earthbound' carts will die in a decade and people won't know why.

You really can't be afraid of getting your hands dirty and opening things up these days. It's pretty much mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I got some shock when you were saying that those TSOP adapters have a 10 year or so lifespan. I'd say lots of 'Earthbound' carts will die in a decade and people won't know why.

That's what I've read anyway, I'd imagine it depends on the quality of the parts used & that, but at the end of the day, they seem to have a short, finite lifespan. After that, I decided flashcarts are really the way to go for the likes of fan translations etc.
    You really can't be afraid of getting your hands dirty and opening things up these days. It's pretty much mandatory.

Definitely mandatory. A gamebit should be part of any Snes collection :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

China seems to becoming a major supplier of reproductions, don't see the point in them myself though. I saw a Wily Wars repro with box and manual for 16.49 all in, Musha along with others was the same. The same seller had a lot of sought after repro snes carts for 20 euro each, the labels looked messed up on the snes carts but the Megadrive games could fool some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just threw up my Blast City in the marketplace if anyone wants to take a look

Our friend sold some more 'questionable' games today

Mega Man 7
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281535821149?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

He did add after a few days (probably after complaints) that it is a repro. Pretty costly one for someone. Look at the bottom of the label too :(

Super Metroid
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281535791761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That 'map' that's with it is just a printed out picture that someone put up on Deviant Art.

Absolutely crazy price for it, even if it was real.

Master of the Universe

At the rate games are increasing in price, I can't wait to retire on my private island when I turn 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm waiting for the massive collapse in prices, that shirley has to come at some stage.

The thing that annoys me, is that carts and crappy looking boxes are way over priced for stuff that isn't all that rare.
    Why are people forking out for boxes that can only be described as being in acceptable condition? They won't hold any value in the long run when demand quietens down, people will only be looking for stuff thats in excellent condition.

Master of the Universe

I don't think there'll be a massive collapse. People who spend a lot of money on games aren't going to voluntarily sell them off at a loss. You only really get a collapse scenario like that in a housing market where people can't repay debt and have to sell at a loss.

I'd say what'll have to happen is we'll reach peak videogame price, where sales figures drop off because items are too expensive and nobody is buying them anymore - we'll then see a gradual decrease to a more stable level.

To be honest though, at some of the prices I've seen stuff going for lately, it's hard to guess what that peak price would be. I'm astounded to think there are people paying some of the prices I've seen stuff go for lately.

One thing which is for definite, expect to see counterfeit items steadily increase. As I always think to myself, what's has more of a risk/difficulty level, robbing a bank or creating some fake carts?

Just look to Neo Geo AES carts to see the level of madness it can get to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You mean Steve is collecting all those copies of Rise of the Robots for nothing?
    Could it be because he likes it?
    Say it ain't so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I don't think there'll be a massive collapse. People who spend a lot of money on games aren't going to voluntarily sell them off at a loss. You only really get a collapse scenario like that in a housing market where people can't repay debt and have to sell at a loss.

I can imagine it now, everyone here stuck in negative equity, and having to rent out their collections til the retro gaming economy recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Hey lads just stuck this up on Adverts if anyone is interested: Nes + Snes + N64 + 85 games.

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nes-snes-n64-85-games/7120449

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You mean Steve is collecting all those copies of Rise of the Robots for nothing?
    Could it be because he likes it?
    Say it ain't so!

Hey, I have a plan for my ROTR collection.
    It's a very similar plan to what I did to fix my brothers Blu-ray collection over the Xmas :D

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Hey lads just stuck this up on Adverts if anyone is interested: Nes + Snes + N64 + 85 games.

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nes-snes-n64-85-games/7120449

Gone?

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Gone?

There was no asking price so I'd say the adverts moderators took it down :(

Was a fantastic selection of stuff.

In a way I'm glad and in a more surer way my wallet and cards are even more glad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Advice was given to make sure that, at the very least, the lot or lots were priced, if not the individual items.
    The rules are not so very hard to follow.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, that's the thing about adverts - as a buyer the asking price rule is fantastic.

As a seller it can be a pain in the hoop if you've something like this with a very approximate value. In fact it's turned me off selling quite a few items over the years as I wasn't 100% sure what to price them at.

Ebay is better for items like that really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS) is €9.99 in Argos.

The last couple of things I sold on Adverts I set the no offers below asking option. Seemed to keep the usual g0b****es away, I set what I thought was a reasonable price and both sold handily enough. It's taken as thread spoiling if you offer less than the asking on these ads, you do really need to set a price though. Another reason they can be pulled if you have multiple items listed in the one ad, thus avoiding multiple success fees.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    The last couple of things I sold on Adverts I set the no offers below asking option. Seemed to keep the usual g0b****es away, I set what I thought was a reasonable price and both sold handily enough. It's taken as thread spoiling if you offer less than the asking on these ads, you do really need to set a price though. Another reason they can be pulled if you have multiple items listed in the one ad, thus avoiding multiple success fees.

Multiple items with different prices? Or just like a toaster mixed up with Earthbound and a ghd?

Multiple items with different prices? Or just like a toaster mixed up with Earthbound and a ghd?

Kind of like say if you had five games listed at thirty euro each. Adverts would only get the success fee from one item instead of five. I've seen ad's like this getting pulled before, I still think there's still a lot of people not marking items as sold. It's only a euro for an item up to fourty nine and it's still fee free under thirty, miserable git's:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Kind of like say if you had five games listed at thirty euro each. Adverts would only get the success fee from one item instead of five. I've seen ad's like this getting pulled before, I still think there's still a lot of people not marking items as sold. It's only a euro for an item up to fourty nine and it's still fee free under thirty, miserable git's:)

It's a matter of principle. The staff admitted that they could read users PM's, and people weren't too happy to support that!

Doge wrote: »
    It's a matter of principle. The staff admitted that they could read users PM's, and people weren't too happy to support that!

Yet they were still happy to list their items on Adverts, if they were that put out surely they wouldn't use the site at all. That is if you could find a link between the paying of success fees and the reading of pm's, I just can't see the connection myself. If you were running Advert's and you saw deals being done, the deals then going to pm's and the items were never marked as sold yet they were no longer available what would you do?

• Advertisement

thing is the sites gotten so big they are finding it hard to monitor everything, and almost solely rely on ads being reported by members, so once you don't p!ss anyone off your ads won't get pulled.

thing is the sites gotten so big they are finding it hard to monitor everything, and almost solely rely on ads being reported by members, so once you don't p!ss anyone off your ads won't get pulled.

I agree totally, it's a commercial site. It shouldn't be left to users to report ads, if they're charging they should be doing the checking. No point acting dumb about it, asking users to report the ad's.

for anyone looking to buy it, Argos have flooded their stores again with the €9.99 copies of Pokemon White

http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=2056540

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Gone?

Ahh crap sorry lads. I thought I put €1 in there so it wouldn't go into the free section. I was going to see what kind of offers I got and go from there. Didn't even realise they took it down. I'll stick it back up but I think I'll do a little research 1st and possibly put up minimum prices next time. I got pms asking to sell individual stuff but there's no way I'd sell, only the whole package. Cheers anyway, will post in here again when I'm sticking it back up!

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Ahh crap sorry lads. I thought I put €1 in there so it wouldn't go into the free section. I was going to see what kind of offers I got and go from there. Didn't even realise they took it down. I'll stick it back up but I think I'll do a little research 1st and possibly put up minimum prices next time. I got pms asking to sell individual stuff but there's no way I'd sell, only the whole package. Cheers anyway, will post in here again when I'm sticking it back up!

Why not pop it up on the marketplace here?

• Advertisement

best thing to do is check the completed listings on Ebay, see on average what each game sells for.
    then price the higher value games seperately, and the cheaper games in a bundle with the relevant console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Wanted one of these for ages, but Dat price!!!

SEGA Dreamcast Divers 2000
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/141521246714

igPOhT.jpgDH5IHY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Is that a TV with a built in Dreamcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Is that a TV with a built in Dreamcast?

Yeah they are. Japan only as well like the famicom TVs. They do pop up on eBay from time to time but didn't think they were that expensive!

That's cool. I've seen the Sharp Super Famicom TV, but I never knew these existed. Can't imagine they were wildly profitable for Sega when they were released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Interesting oddity here.. Its a robotic arm for a MSX computer.

A factory sealed Stadium Events turned up on eBay a day or so ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111567662630

*shakes collection plate around A&R*

Corholio wrote: »
    A factory sealed Stadium Events turned up on eBay a day or so ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111567662630

*shakes collection plate around A&R*

And what we all own it together, taking turns having it on our shelves? Can't see that turning sour.
    Or can it....

three-men-and-a-comic-book-picture.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

85 VGA wizard points, wow!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    85 VGA wizard points, wow!

There really is no accounting for just how stupid some people really are.

• Advertisement

Master of the Universe

One of the best bargains I've ever seen on adverts :eek:

Do I really need a dinner table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

One of the best bargains I've ever seen on adverts :eek:

Do I really need a dinner table?

Of course not, sit in the cab and eat dinner off your lap! And there's another one for the missus too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That is an amazing bargain, fully functional too !!

eddhorse wrote: »
    That is an amazing bargain, fully functional too !!

have seen these come up for sale a few times over the last 2 years.
    they just take up too much space.
    massive bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Did anyone else check to see if the rest if his ads were the same? Ha. I like his Crimson Skies ad

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171625219354?nav=SEARCH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

It would appear that sex, does indeed, sell.
    Or at least a generously proportioned lady sells...

• Advertisement

Not retro but this is a DS game that doesn't come up that often, had to import mine,
    YzhlM2IzMTBjMTI4ZjgwYzdhMGFjNDA1NjBiMTI1NWG1LMNwZoPtImM7xH5Ns7pUaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYzNjNGZjZTcyNjY3YTE3NjExMGMyZGE2Mzk0NTFiNmI2ZWVmZjVlYzAyM2EyZjkwNTZhNDBmOGIzOTVjOWM5OC5qcGd8fDUyNXx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg
    link

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement