Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why can't the prices be just listed online at the time of posting? Do the prices still vary depending on who you ask in store?

Suppose it gets people into the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

safetyboy wrote: »
    Suppose it gets people into the shop.

Unless the price is advertised, or you can at least ask how much it is, there's no way I'm going through the ordeal of City Center shopping, unless I'm already in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Why can't the prices be just listed online at the time of posting? Do the prices still vary depending on who you ask in store?

Not in my experience. The prices tend to be on the software to start with. Never noticed inconsistencies with regards hardware either, and have done plenty of shopping there. Fair enough if others have though. Prices listed online would be nice, they did have prices on hardware somewhere on the facebook page, but since the reformat of the site I haven't a clue where to find things on people's pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just rang them.
    €110 boxed with 1 game and the console is apparently in very good condition.

ghostchant wrote: »
    Not in my experience. The prices tend to be on the software to start with. Never noticed inconsistencies with regards hardware either, and have done plenty of shopping there. Fair enough if other have though. Prices listed online would be nice, they did have prices on hardware somewhere on the facebook page, but since the reformat of the site I haven't a clue where to find things on people's pages.

They really should organise a site of their own, with listed prices & offer a postal service. This half arsed facebook sh1te, with no prices or postage has to be limiting their exposure.

They really should organise a site of their own, with listed prices & offer a postal service. This half arsed facebook sh1te, with no prices or postage has to be limiting their exposure.

Almost 5000 people subscribing to them, getting the posts straight to their news feed? And since the majority of them are going to be using facebook on a daily basis, I think it makes sense. Their dedicated site hasn't been updated in a couple of months, maybe they figured they're getting better exposure with facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just rang them.

If it's boxed that's not bad at all - for purely collection sake.

I hope whoever buys it though is aware of the load times. If not then I would imagine they'll be well pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    If it's boxed that's not bad at all - for purely collection sake.

I hope whoever buys it though is aware of the load times. If not then I would imagine they'll be well pissed off.

Handy if you have college essays to do thought.
    'Just going fire this Metal Slug here and have a game. Suppose I might as well get that 2000 word essay done while Im waiting.'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Face it man, you, me and a few others are behind the times when it comes to this Facebook lark. Think I'm glad about that though, although I can see why a business should make use of it with the amount of people living out their lives on it. :rolleyes:

Our Latin leader already pointed that out. Not sure I'd be bothered buying something like that if the loading times are that bad, would only end up sitting on a shelf.

Master of the Universe

Facebook, ugh. At least it keeps the dregs of society occupied while the rest of us get on with the real internet :pac:

• Advertisement

You're all just a big gang* of hipsters, too cool for the saddos on facebook so just rack up thousands and thousands of posts here instead. Kidding :D

*What's the term for a group of hipsters...gander? A happening of hipsters perhaps?

You're all just a big gang* of hipsters, too cool for the saddos on facebook so just rack up thousands and thousands of posts here instead. Kidding :D

*What's the term for a group of hipsters...gander? A happening of hipsters perhaps?

A group of hipsters is called a Douche. As in "look at that douche of hipsters over there listening to their mobile vinyl player, wearing fedora's and disliking things".

Almost 5000 people subscribing to them, getting the posts straight to their news feed? And since the majority of them are going to be using facebook on a daily basis, I think it makes sense. Their dedicated site hasn't been updated in a couple of months, maybe they figured they're getting better exposure with facebook.

Yeah but you have to either live in Dublin, or travel there to buy from them. Having a dedicated site in combination with the facebook thing, & offering a competetive postal system would surely mean more sales.

I'm not saying go a dedicated site only, but at least run one concurrently with it, surely expanding your coverage at very, very little extra investment.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Face it man, you, me and a few others are behind the times when it comes to this Facebook lark. Think I'm glad about that though, although I can see why a business should make use of it with the amount of people living out their lives on it. :rolleyes:

Again I'm not saying they should ditch FB, but having a nicely done dedicated site, Facebook, & Adverts sellers account & maybe even an ebay shop would be a very cheap way of increasing coverage tenfold, with little investment.

Would definitely be good to have some sort of postal system, think they tried that before actually, through facebook again (facebook has expanded into e-commerce too now). Though it seems that most of the high-profile stuff that comes into the shop goes straight back out, so unless they plan on expanding they seem to be doing ok for now.

And they do/did have a dedicated site, though the inactivity might be a reflection of how popular that is.

And they do/did have a dedicated site, though the inactivity might be a reflection of how popular that is.

Closest I can find is a glorified Tumblr account with no prices or up to date information. This thing here http://theragedublin.tumblr.com/ Any number of users here could knock up a simple but pleasant site, with up to date info & pricing in no time. Seems to me they've no interest, if it sells it sells, sure feck it like :confused:

Personally speaking if I was an owner/manager there, I'd have a nice little site put together for me & have the lads maintain it. The shop couldn't be that busy that they can't get a minute during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just rang them.

That's a good enough price, mine cost €71 but had a hefty shipped fee on top of that.

Closest I can find is a glorified Tumblr account with no prices or up to date information. This thing here http://theragedublin.tumblr.com/ Any number of users here could knock up a simple but pleasant site, with up to date info & pricing in no time. Seems to me they've no interest, if it sells it sells, sure feck it like :confused:

Personally speaking if I was an owner/manager there, I'd have a nice little site put together for me & have the lads maintain it. The shop couldn't be that busy that they can't get a minute during the day.

No arguments here, though I think the site is mainly there for those who wanted to see what was coming into the shop but who didn't want to be on facebook.

I feel the same about it. They could do so much more with it and increase profits without spending much at all.
    The popular and rarer items do seem to sell quick enough but there is money to be made in selling the stuff that sits there with fungus growing on it for months(it's shocking the stuff they put out without so much as a quick 2 second wipe down).

But, its their business(or his business to be more accurate) so they can run it as they see fit.

I suppose what we really want is a retro shop run by collectors like ourselves, but it's just not going to happen in the near future.

Edit:
    Plus the shop isn't that busy ever. The guys are just so busy looking cool and aloof they don't have time to run a site.

...Though it seems that most of the high-profile stuff that comes into the shop goes straight back out...

I do wonder are there a few collectors that live or work nearby that head over as soon as new shipment is put out and snap all the goodies up.

• Advertisement

But, its their business(or his business to be more accurate) so they can run it as inefficiently as they see fit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

id love to know where they get all the stuff from though..

keithgeo wrote: »
    id love to know where they get all the stuff from though..

If you were back & forth form the UK and had good contacts over there for markets/shops, you'd pick up some nice stuff at good prices. A van load a month would net you a nice few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Seemingly, RAGE aren't giving prices on their Facebook anymore, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I think with the pricing stuff, they've definitely aren't in line with ebay prices anymore. No wonder they don't give out prices on facebook: you'd just instantly compare to ebay while when you're instore and see it in hand... You're very likely to spontaneously buy if the condition is right.

Their new shipment is very nice, some unbelievably good conditioned boxed snes games but with prices to match.

I tried to trade some stuff in against one or two snes games but they didn't offer me much so I declined (12e each for Twilight Princess and Skies of Arcadia on the cube!?), but I snapped up a lovely boxed copy of Super Aleste as it was the only reasonable one of the bunch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I always felt robbed when i walked out of Rage. I mean its nice to walk in and have a look but paying 30quid for 3 Boxed NES games is ridiculous, Ive often got 8 games from the same seller on ebay delivered for less than that if you bid right. They are nice guys and all that, but price wise its much much cheaper to use ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Does anyone know where I can get a psx spindle hub cheaper than here? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PSX-PSONE-PS1-REPLACEMENT-CONSOLE-CENTRE-SPINDLE-HUB-/280840979267?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item41636d4343

Playing £7 for one of those seems a bit much to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Does anyone know where I can get a psx spindle hub cheaper than here? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PSX-PSONE-PS1-REPLACEMENT-CONSOLE-CENTRE-SPINDLE-HUB-/280840979267?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item41636d4343

I have a one to spare, pm me your address and ill post to ya.
    I got two but still havnt got round to replacing mine.

You would find a ps1 at a car boot for a fiver never mind a spindle hub for £7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I also have 7 or 8 broken ps1s that I could rob one from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Beautiful console of the gods here .
    If you want to play Need for Speed, Road Rash or Return Fire, in the original Klingon as they say, you need a 3DO... and you need this one.
    Not only does it play games but, held over the head, can protect you against direct nuclear attack, it is so solidly made, awesome!
    1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336665fddc987f47906abdf17497366c1f4.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Here's an interesting lot. 23 dreamcasts.

What I like about it is the crazy variation in the colours of the consoles!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290690920959

Here's an interesting lot. 23 dreamcasts.

What I like about it is the crazy variation in the colours of the consoles!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290690920959

That link doesn't work for me, item doesn't exist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The one in the third row from top looks like its been badly sunburnt or dropped in a tank of fake tan o.O

The one in the third row from top looks like its been badly sunburnt or dropped in a tank of fake tan o.O

Same could be said about a large percentage of the "ladies" walking around Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Look like they've been slapped by the Tango fairy alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I also have 7 or 8 broken ps1s that I could rob one from.

Thanks for the offer! ahyeahok is going to sort me out though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Thanks for the offer! ahyeahok is going to sort me out though :)

Speaking of which, posted it off this morning.

Same could be said about a large percentage of the "ladies" walking around Dublin.

Its the Tallafornia limited edition, only console to ship riddled with viruses..

• Advertisement

Have they gone up in value over the last year or so? I know thats boxed, but I got a working one for less than that some time ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Looking at the prices of previous auctions you could secure one for 130, sometimes even including postage thats in p.w.o!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Have they gone up in value over the last year or so? I know thats boxed, but I got a working one for less than that some time ago...

I think prices in general are going up. I mentioned it before Christmas, that SNES boxed stuff were going for crazy prices and I thought it was people buying pressies and not being sure of prices. However, I've noticed that the trend is continuing: a boxed Secret of Mana went for over 200 euro, boxed gameboys going for over 60 euro and a cart only copy of sunset riders with 3 days left on the auction going for 30 at the moment.
    Secret of Mana is popular and the box was mint but I got mine for a fraction of that price a year and a bit ago and Sunset Riders boxed goes for a bit but a cart alone?
    I only really focus on Super Nintendo stuff and boxed games can be pricey but they seem to be creeping up and its getting harder to find a decent price for them.
    Oil and SNES games going up! I'm screwed :(

waveform wrote: »
    Looking at the prices of previous auctions you could secure one for 130, sometimes even including postage thats in p.w.o!

Thats how I remember them. It's prob just because this broken one is boxed,has some games & overlays too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

That one doesn't seem to be *too* badly damaged though...

"The console turns on and the screen does display but it looks as though not all the pixels are showing through, sound is fine."

waveform wrote: »
    That one doesn't seem to be *too* badly damaged though...

"The console turns on and the screen does display but it looks as though not all the pixels are showing through, sound is fine."

Yeah but where the hell do you start. It's probably something simple, but you'd need to have a proper understanding of vector monitors to diagnose it. Either that or hope its a common fault for which the repair is well documented

I paid 143 euro for my vectrex the other day, not inc postage. That came with the official carry bag, console instruction manual, the overlay for the built in game and 1 fully working joypad.
    Its also in pretty decent condition.

Yeah but where the hell do you start. It's probably something simple, but you'd need to have a proper understanding of vector monitors to diagnose it. Either that or hope its a common fault for which the repair is well documented

The schematics and service manuals are available online, anyway this months budget of mine has gone on an amiga cd 32 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I paid 68 sterling including postage for my vectrex, used parcel2go.com and postage came to @19 sterling. The system came with Joypad ( fully working ) also came with Scramble. Has issues with the graphics ( need to ajust the pods ), but the system is in VGC. So not to bad a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I feel the same about it. They could do so much more with it and increase profits without spending much at all.
    The popular and rarer items do seem to sell quick enough but there is money to be made in selling the stuff that sits there with fungus growing on it for months(it's shocking the stuff they put out without so much as a quick 2 second wipe down).

But, its their business(or his business to be more accurate) so they can run it as they see fit.

I suppose what we really want is a retro shop run by collectors like ourselves, but it's just not going to happen in the near future.

Edit:
    Plus the shop isn't that busy ever. The guys are just so busy looking cool and aloof they don't have time to run a site.

I'm not just pointing this at you Steve, by the way - but lads, cut 'em some slack.

The guys in The RAGE setup their shop in a ****ty-arsed economy, based it around a market that has been tried in Dublin before and never did well, and yet they've done extremely well, going from strength to strength every month, judging by the quality and quantity of the stock.

Remember, they had that flood just over a year ago that ruined a good bit of stock and would have cost them a wedge of cash to replace the stock and repair the shop. I remember that a LOT of users on here were heartbroken when it happened, as the shop was in danger of closing.

Don't get me wrong, I know that they don't match eBay prices and I still buy most of my stuff online... but to rubbish their business is daftness and smacks of elitism.

If you think you can do better, then put your money where your mouth is and setup a shop that deals in retro stuff. Build the website and list the prices. And if not, then realise that the lads in The RAGE are doing very well for themselves and we're very lucky to have a shop here in Dublin where you can walk in and see video games and consoles from pretty much as far back as it goes.

/rant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement