Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I sent a polite message about the dangers of Legend of Dragoon and got banned :P

I'm not sure if a message that says a game is s**t qualifies as polite! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I do remember them saying that they were no longer doing business over facebook because it was too much work or something.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I do remember them saying that they were no longer doing business over facebook because it was too much work or something.

I can see their point.

It's a bit of hassle having to post items when you already have a brick n' mortar shop to take care of. You would almost want another member of staff employed to take care of it and that costs money.

It's grand for places like Music Technology -> which is just one of the stores in Dublin I've used that does the national delivery thing, but they don't update their website much, and they take orders over the phone rather than online.

They sell *new* stock, Rage however do not. And the products Music Tech sell would cost a lot more than a few old carts.

I honestly don't think there's much money to be made for Rage by selling second hand games and the odd few consoles online, especially when people are going to be bitching about the price difference on ebay.

That's just my 0.02 euros though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

waveform wrote: »
    It's a bit depressing to see that the internet has made people so anti social these days! ;)

Whatever happened to calling into store, having a bit of friendly banter and enjoying the personal touch to customer service?

How is it anti-social suggesting an online shop could help increase their sales and that it would also be handy for those folk who don't live around the corner? Or have the time or money to waste having friendly banter.
    Kind of seems pointless and non constructive ranting about it on here behind their backs tbh...

Non-constructive ranting? EnterNow and Steve_SI suggested that it would do no harm for them to have an online shop. I said it would be handy but wondered whether that was feasible or not. An open forum which they've frequented before is hardly "behind their backs" either.

@Retr0: You still banned for trolling their FB page? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone want to come in with me and open up a retro shop in Dublin?
    I need someone with good business sense and no morals to speak of :D

edit:
    I see someone made a comment that retr0 be unblocked on their facebook page.
    Judging by the persons profile picture and some descriptions that were posted here of certain members I have a feeling I know who it is ;0)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    How is it anti-social suggesting an online shop could help increase their sales and that it would also be handy for those folk who don't live around the corner? Or have the time or money to waste having friendly banter.

It was geared at people who live in the area who refuse to visit the the shop when it's the only option that exists at the moment.
    Non-constructive ranting? EnterNow and Steve_SI suggested that it would do no harm for them to have an online shop. I said it would be handy but wondered whether that was feasible or not. An open forum which they've frequented before is hardly "behind their backs" either.

There has been good suggestions, but there has also being ranting / moaning in the thread at the same time.
    I did not dismiss every post as a rant, but thanks for trying to make it look that way. icon14.gif

The suggestions will be non constructive, or in other words "in vain", if they're never presented to the owners of Rage.

That's the exact point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

But people aren't going to buy from them online when eBay has the same items cheaper. To be perfectly frank why would they?

I don't like buying online when I can help it - part of the attraction of collecting old games and consoles for me is the hunt, and browsing an actual shop and finding a gem is one of my favourite parts of the hobby - browsing shops in Tokyo last year was just mind blowing for me. Others aren't that fussed about that side of things, which is no problem - for them there's eBay and dedicated online stores. For people like me there's shops like the RAGE.

I thought I use this thread for its actual purpose. I hope thats ok :)

4i24cx.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300685569155

Steve SI wrote: »
    I thought I use this thread for its actual purpose. I hope thats ok :)

An oul cut & paste into a new RAGE online store debate thread would be the way to go alright!

Congrats on the purchase!

199.jpg

;)

• Advertisement

An oul cut & paste into a new RAGE online store debate thread would be the way to go alright!

Congrats on the purchase!

;)

It's not a purchase, its a link to the auction.
    This is the "Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links" thread. I think most of us forgot that today :rolleyes:

It's not a purchase, its a link to the auction.
    This is the "Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links" thread. I think most of us forgot that today :rolleyes:

Haha!

Apologies, I didn't see the link in your post and thought for a second it was the "Post everytime you want to show off " thread. ;)

142.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ok, real life called there for a moment. I'll make this brief :D

Altheus wrote: »
    It's not about value, availability or anything else, it's about supporting a local business.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd support them, except that they don't live in Dublin. Dublin isn't Ireland.
    There's always option B:

telephone-ch.jpg

As Andrew made the point, you'd like to browse & peruse their whole inventory over the phone? Nonsense.
    Usually when I ring a store I ask if they have specific things in stock...

That's not exactly shopping. No chance of upselling on their part either. Again, a wasted business opportunity.
    I'd find out what else they have in stock when I arrive to buy the specific games....

And if they don't have the specific game you asked for, their upselling opportunity is gone. Along with your chance of spotting something else you might have wanted.
    It's a bit depressing to see that the internet has made people so anti social these days! ;)

Whatever happened to calling into store, having a bit of friendly banter and enjoying the personal touch to customer service?

Anti-social? We're only pointing out that RAGE caters best for people in Dublin. There's 31 other counties that might like to buy from them.
    waveform wrote:
    has anyone here ever sent Rage a polite e-mail or message,
    asking them if they ever considered selling online?
    offering to give them suggestions on how they could go about the website?

or even just asking if it would be feasible?

Kind of seems pointless and non constructive ranting about it on here behind their backs tbh...

I did, when they came on to the internet here to make us aware of their new store. I'll try & find the posts for you, but they were a long time ago. You know what they answered with? They didn't bother to answer the simple question ;)
    ghostchant wrote: »
    They've posted games before afaik, saw people asking on Facebook in the past and remember them saying they take paypal. Seemed quite informal though.

As it happens I'm always in town for some reason or another, normally a couple of times a week so I can safely say I wouldn't avail of an online store, I enjoy dropping in :)

Many, many, many other people don't be in town for some reason or another. I'd like to drop in too. An online option wouldn't remove the ability to drop in either.
    I can see their point.

It's a bit of hassle having to post items when you already have a brick n' mortar shop to take care of. You would almost want another member of staff employed to take care of it and that costs money.

They're nowhere near that busy. When something sells, pack it all up 20 mins before closing & have it all ready to be posted the next morning. They seem wildly unefficient & lazy if they can't handle something like that. The management seem to have no drive or desire to provide a broader service.

Fair enough, as I said, no skin off my nose. I'll simple shop elsewhere. I don't see why people are seemingly taking offence at the suggestion that we have a simple place to see what they have in stock & what the price is. Blasphemy or something.
    Anyone want to come in with me and open up a retro shop in Dublin?
    I need someone with good business sense and no morals to speak of :D

Count me in. I can be the rocket scientist that marks games sold & runs to the post office with them the next morning.
    There has been good suggestions, but there has also being ranting / moaning in the thread at the same time.
    I did not dismiss every post as a rant, but thanks for trying to make it look that way. icon14.gif

The suggestions will be non constructive, or in other words "in vain", if they're never presented to the owners of Rage.

That's the exact point I was making.

The only ranting/moaning, has been on the part of those who see it as unappreciative of us to expect a store & price list of the RAGE. Anything esle has been personal opinion & constructive criticism.
    ghostchant wrote: »
    But people aren't going to buy from them online when eBay has the same items cheaper. To be perfectly frank why would they?

Eh, for one we would be negating international postal charges? Even if the items worked out at the same price due to the lower postal charge, we'd still order from RAGE. Why? Another reason would be we would get the items quicker? Are you sure you've thought this through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm basing it on anecdotes presented on the thread. Mainly the one that mentioned it cost 30e for three NES games in the RAGE vs 40e for 6 on eBay. Would postage even that out? Apologies if I got the numbers wrong there, hard to filter through posts on a phone :)

I don't get why a small shop in Dublin that appears to be doing well for itself as-is should be worried about providing a service for other parts of the country if they don't need to. But maybe it's because it takes me an hour to get into town via bike/bus/dart and I could do without folk stripping the place of stock behind their computers during my trip :)

Incidentally I do agree that it'd be nice to have a list of stock and the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Here's one you don't see every day (love the story behind it)

http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/sega-gaga-sggg-extremely-rare/1494785

Jaysus I was DONE with that conversation last night, but yeah,
    an oul stock list wouldn't go astray I agree, or even a few "new in this week* posts.

I still think the whole online shop thing is a bit too much effort though and would be unrewarding in the case of rage.

I just don't think there's enough money to be made from second hand stuff to make it profitable, especially when they have high rent to pay, and even more especially not at "ebay prices" anyway.

• Advertisement

waveform wrote:
    Jaysus I was DONE with that conversation last night, but yeah,

Wow, sorry. I didn't know there was a deadline to reply.
    waveform wrote:
    an oul stock list wouldn't go astray I agree, or even a "new in" posts every week.

It certainly wouldnt go astray. Maybe we're asking too much though.
    waveform wrote:
    I still think the whole online shop is a bit too much effort though and would be unrewarding in the case of rage.

I just don't think there's enough money to be made from it to make it profitable.

Based on your survey of retro collectors country wide? How do you come to this conclusion that the cost of opening an Adverts shop, far outweighs the benefit of exposing your products nationwide?

It was geared at people who live in the area who refuse to visit the the shop when it's the only option that exists at the moment.

Well if I lived in the area I reckon I'd be spending a few bob in there on a regular basis. It's even nice just to browse the selection even if nothing takes your fancy, there's something cool about seeing old retro games and machines for sale in a shop in Ireland. Just a shame I don't live near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

While away on a business beano, I had a look round HMV and happened across this still sealed coffee table book. Asian Graphics is the title and at only £4, it's a great bargain I think.

I bought this in Jersey so I'm not sure if it'll be available in Irish HMV stores but it's worth a look I think. :)

K0G30.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

No manual but I'll take it for that price

Wait...strike that, there is a manual according to the description so YAY!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »

Is it possible to do a screen mod on a game gear?
    Like the Nomad.

Is it possible to do a screen mod on a game gear?
    Like the Nomad.

Not without building an encoder :(

Edit - I can't find the site atm, but I looked at it before. You replace the screen but you have to build an interface & encoder to make the signal understandable to the new screen. Looked like the type of job that just doesn't justify the work. Mastersystem games in high quality you say? Use a Megadrive & Adapter.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Not without building an encoder :(

Edit - I can't find the site atm, but I looked at it before. You replace the screen but you have to build an interface & encoder to make the signal understandable to the new screen. Looked like the type of job that just doesn't justify the work. Mastersystem games in high quality you say? Use a Megadrive & Adapter.

pity that

pity that

Aye, an LED backlight mod is only other type of mod. I done it before, no real difference screen wise but does help with power consumption.

The GameGear's biggest flaw is without a doubt the crappy screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looking to get an arcade stick for the PSone but all my attempts on eBay have been sniped, any idea if this is worth getting?
    AASCII joystick

raven999 wrote: »

I was watching them myself, and didn't forget :)
    Was just looking for Thor really but grabbed the other one as well as the price was right. So they'll go to a good home anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭raven999

raven999 wrote: »

I was watching them myself, and didn't forget :)
    Was just looking for Thor really but grabbed the other one as well as the price was right. So they'll go to a good home anyway.

good price alright

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up a Namco stick for the PlayStation but a close second was going to be this,
    asciiware stick
    It was well reviewed in its day and is bigger than the PlayStation itself!
    €25 plus €12 shipping.

large-asciiware-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Picked up a Namco stick for the PlayStation but a close second was going to be this,
    asciiware stick
    €25 plus €12 shipping.

large-asciiware-500.jpg

I like the look at that!

Post some pics of Saturn ones!

I think this is what you are looking for, to go with a nice white Saturn!
    SAM_5602.JPG

And it's an active auction too! linky dink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

'Mmmmmm I want that' says the head and heart but the wallet/laser/credit card/loans all say 'fu@k off will ya'

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    asciiware stick
    €25 plus €12 shipping.

large-asciiware-500.jpg

I have one of those Asciiware sticks - they're only okay. You were definitely better off going with the Namco one.

I have one of those Asciiware sticks - they're only okay. You were definitely better off going with the Namco one.

Was going to get a Megadrive ASCII stick but the throw looks bunk. Think an XE Pro is calling... :)

Master of the Universe

I got an extension cable for my XE stick in the post today. Only problem with it was the damn thing was too short! Had to sit on the floor in front of the TV to play anything.

Remember, the XE stick will always forgive you! :)

sugarman wrote: »
    Full-10761471.jpeg

Bargain for anyone with the space.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/games/3171751

Bloody door frames. I'd have my own arcade now if I could fit these things through the damned house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Bloody door frames. I'd have my own arcade now if I could fit these things through the damned house

wow 2 Aliens Guncabs in 1 month on Donedeal, unreal...

I measured the one in clare, Id have to see if I still have measurements,
    put it was actually smaller width than first feared, its 70-80 cm or something like that. Gorgeous looking cab, although game only okey.

Im in Cork but Im out of Space and Money :)

Master of the Universe

€80 feckin euro?!

€80 feckin euro?!

I know! :mad:

kevin2me wrote: »
    wow 2 Aliens Guncabs in 1 month on Donedeal, unreal...

I measured the one in clare, Id have to see if I still have measurements,
    put it was actually smaller width than first feared, its 70-80 cm or something like that. Gorgeous looking cab, although game only okey.

Im in Cork but Im out of Space and Money :)

I wonder if I could fit it in my attic....

All i would need to do is put a giant hole in the roof and hoist it in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Too late lads :cool:

Too late lads :cool:

Good man, very cool cab for that money glad one of us got it.

• Advertisement

Sparks43 wrote: »

Serious amount of postage on that. Cool Pac-Man duvet underneath it though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Anyone ever hear of these? Genesis to SNES Cart Adaptor? http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_12&products_id=148
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]You can plug it into your SNES to play Genesis game. Use your SNES joypad instead Genesis joypad. You need to plug AV cable to this adapter for video output. It can not use SNES AV output.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]High quality 3rd party product. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Compatible with most Genesis games and SNES or 16-bit consoles. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Includes 4 region switches for NTSC and PAL Megadrive and Genesis games. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Plug and Play. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Light-weight and Travel-Friendly. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Comes with a special AV cable.
    [/FONT]

Weird kind of oddity thing. Surely its glitch central?

Anyone ever hear of these? Genesis to SNES Cart Adaptor? http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_12&products_id=148

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Weird kind of oddity thing. Surely its glitch central?

Baffling such a device even exists, makes no sense to own one. Is it if you have MD carts but not the console to play them on? Surely not just so you can use a Snes pad with an MD game? Weird.

Although if it had an SD card slot in it Cidey would be all over it. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement