Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Saw these in one of the Charity shops on Camden street, was either Enable Ireland or Cancer Society of Ireland (They are right beside each other, just beside Right Click Solutions.

1212222.jpg

I asked, they had already sold the Atari ST machine, which was a bummer, I always wanted to have a go of one of those, but as you can see, still plenty of games left, some good ones too, and the boxes are in good condition too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Push Over is an amazing game. That bundle is worth it for that and Turrican II alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Augmerson wrote: »
    Saw these in one of the Charity shops on Camden street, was either Enable Ireland or Cancer Society of Ireland (They are right beside each other, just beside Right Click Solutions.

1212222.jpg

I asked, they had already sold the Atari ST machine, which was a bummer, I always wanted to have a go of one of those, but as you can see, still plenty of games left, some good ones too, and the boxes are in good condition too.

Some great games there, bringing back many memories of playing my mate's Brother's ST on the sly of a Saturday Morning.

Who would buy the ST but leave that lot behind?

Who would buy the ST but leave that lot behind?

I know, kind of annoying really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I did tell yous about that ST weeks ago so you had your chance!

I did tell yous about that ST weeks ago so you had your chance!

Ack wasn't paying attention :v/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭RNB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not VGA graded :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So tired, just spent 2 nights in a converted camper van and I'm all stiff, and not in a hot way!

So, got about 15 minutes on Gradius 4 before I was dragged away :(
    But it's a quality 15 minutes! :)

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm all stiff

Seen any good films lately? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

RNB wrote: »

I think for £3,555 you could get a rather spectacular gold plated Triforce made. And there'd be no problem with it running in 50Hz either...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Seen any good films lately? :pac:

Well, now that you mention it I was at a film with Dinorex......

Hey, wait a minute!
    What's the big idea?
    You thinking smutty thoughts at the mention of a word like "Stiff"?
    Just say it now....
    Go on!

"Stiff"

Filthy minded bugger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

If you're unloading any of the famicom doubles, sorry triples let me know!

Derp, just realised that this wasn't the something new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, I'm skipping this lot as I've already got a few job lots to deal with at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Had a few hours to kill in town yesterday so popped in to Rage to see what the fuss was all about. Stock seemed fairly ordinary to be honest, just bought a couple of everdrive donor carts from the 95c bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was in there yesterday myself - nothing to buy at all.

There was a guy at the counter asking if they had Gamegears and how much they cost - The lad behind the counter said they're rare to come across and they had none on stock. But if they ever do, 50 euro........!!!!

I was tempted to ask him if they replace the capacitors.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was in there yesterday myself - nothing to buy at all.

There was a guy at the counter asking if they had Gamegears and how much they cost - The lad behind the counter said they're rare to come across and they had none on stock. But if they ever do, 50 euro........!!!!

I was tempted to ask him if they replace the capacitors.

they don't so much as wipe the casing down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I went in looking for a gameboy colour before from them. Tried to sell me one for 50 euros. The battery cover was missing and the screen was scratched to bits. Told me they were rare and that it was impossible to find one with a perfect screen. Well Rage I picked up one with a perfect screen (in pink but for some reason all the handhelds I buy these days are pink) for $30 delivered and the seller threw in a free pokemon carry case. Even then I'm sure you can get one much cheaper.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

They seem to be getting a bit cheeky with their prices alright.

Even with rent to pay, they should be costing 40 euro max. And that's even being generous. You should be able to get a mint condition Gameboy for about 30 euro.

If the price point is 50 euro they'd want to be importing replacement screens & battery covers to include with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Even with rent to pay, they should be costing 40 euro max. And that's even being generous. You should be able to get a mint condition Gameboy for about 30 euro.

If the price point is 50 euro they'd want to be importing replacement screens & battery covers to include with them.

Yeah but your forgetting, they're R@RE!!!

I've said before that I don't expect to pay ebay prices in Rage but the randomness of the pricing really annoys me, identical copies of a game can often be labeled differently with 5 or even 10 euro in the difference. Which kinda shows that they just make em up as they go along.

I asked about the Neo Geo Pocket they had a while back, extremely rare he told me and €85 please and thanks. I don't know an awful lot about them but I know that they aren't hard to find online and that they don't go for anything like €85. For a reasonable price I would have considered buying from him but at that money I didn't even bother haggling.

Master of the Universe

It's shows you the level of videogame knowledge when people consider NGPs to be rare.

I saw a copy of Gunstar Heroes in there yesterday. There was a stamped price on it (something like 9.99) and then a handwritten '3' in front of it. Obviously one of the staff had been flicking through the games and noticed someone undervalued one of their 'rare' titles.

Anyone else notice that they actually write 'rare' on the tags for some of the pricey games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

EnterNow wrote: »

Yeah but your forgetting, they're R@RE!!!
    In fairness to them they never usually pull that kinda ****e. There's one bloke in there that knows his **** when it comes to retro stuff... And wether something is rare or not...

Anyone else notice that they actually write 'rare' on the tags for some of the pricey games?

Instant put off for me.

I don't know an awful lot about them but I know that they aren't hard to find online and that they don't go for anything like €85.

I got mine for 15 euros... including shipping.

Yeah they have rare written on two copies of Paper Mario 2 that have been there unshifted for months now. You know they'd make more sales if they priced things properly.

The Premiums on the very common games that the lads happen to like is even worse.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I got mine for 15 euros... including shipping.

ebay? Japanesse seller?

Master of the Universe

Achilles wrote: »
    In fairness to them they never usually pull that kinda ****e. There's one bloke in there that knows his **** when it comes to retro stuff... And wether something is rare or not...

You reckon? When they first opened it was like a little jewel, selling games because they loved games.

However I was a little shocked yesterday and it's been a while since I was in.

I can't help but get the impression they've jumped on the 'retrogames are cool!' hipster bandwagon. Would explain why 'rare' is written all over the place anyway.
    Instant put off for me.

Me too. It instantly makes me roll my eyes and think of the lunatics on adverts.

Yeah they have rare written on two copies of Paper Mario 2 that have been there unshifted for months now. You know they'd make more sales if they priced things properly..

Funny that you mention it as Papermario is the first game I saw it on. I was going to buy it but then I saw the price, and then I saw the 'rare' bit and I put it back pretty damn quick.

ebay? Japanesse seller?

Yup. I was on the dole at the time and managed to collect every game I wanted on the system and the system itself within 2 months. A very easy and cheap console to collect for and the games are excellent to boot.

• Advertisement

Yup. I was on the dole at the time and managed to collect every game I wanted on the system and the system itself within 2 months. A very easy and cheap console to collect for and the games are excellent to boot.

What system is that?

What system is that?

Neo Geo AES
    Neo Geo Pocket :P

Neo Geo AES
    Neo Geo Pocket :P

Ah the NGP, a bandwagon I have yet to board :( I know nothing about it, are there different versions of the console & which one is considered the best?

Master of the Universe

Neo Geo pocket colour comes in loads of different colour versions. But the hardware is all the same.

Well, as long as you make sure to get a colour screened one and not one of the black and white units!

Interesting fact about the monochrome console, it's a forward compatible system - in that most of the colour games still work on it, just in black and white.

Just make sure if you are building up a collection that you get the games complete in box. They're the nicest handheld boxes ever made.

Neo Geo pocket colour comes in loads of different colour versions. But the hardware is all the same.

Well, as long as you make sure to get a colour screened one and not one of the black and white units!

Interesting fact about the monochrome console, it's a forward compatible system - in that most of the colour games still work on it, just in black and white.

Just make sure if you are building up a collection that you get the games complete in box. They're the nicest handheld boxes ever made.

Cheers man, any suggested game to be looking at first?

Ah the NGP, a bandwagon I have yet to board :( I know nothing about it, are there different versions of the console & which one is considered the best?

There's a black and white version and a colour version, colour is the one to get. I heard that later models might have a better screen but can't be sure. It's better easy to find information about the games on the system and there's a seller on ebay that last time I looked was selling a good portion of the best games on the system as a lot that comes to about 4 euros a game. It's a seriously great system, not many games on it but the quality to dross ratio is extremely high. If you are going for unboxed games it's a very cheap console to collect for. If you go for boxed games then the PAL releases come in gorgeous mini AES cases, very collectible and they look great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers man, any suggested game to be looking at first?

Sonic, Metal Slug 1&2, Neo Turf Masters, Pac-Man. Excellent little handheld only (slightly) let down by no backlight. Thumb stick on it is awesome.

Cheers dudes, I take it a JP/US model will play the PAL games [no region locks etc]?

Master of the Universe

No region locking, nope. SNK can get it correct years ago, yet Nintendo can't get their contemporary handheld models up to scratch :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Sonic, Metal Slug 1&2, Neo Turf Masters, Pac-Man. Excellent little handheld only (slightly) let down by no backlight. Thumb stick on it is awesome.

Good list.

I'd also add the following -

SNK vs Capcom - Match of the Millenium
    The Last Blade
    Samurai Showdown 2
    Puzzle Bobble
    Magical Drop
    Faselei! (expensive if you want it in English, cart only is affordable sometimes)

No region locking, nope. SNK can get it correct years ago, yet Nintendo can't get their contemporary handheld models up to scratch :D

Cool, they seem to run in about €60/70 from the UK..ones from Japan seem more affordable but the postage prob balances it out...is there any region one thats preferable?

Master of the Universe

Ah yeah, much better value buying from JP. That carbon one is very nice I must say...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I only sold off a boxed one i got off Steve ages ago in great condition with samurai showdown 2 last week :(

You should just pick up all the SNK fighters on it, they're all very high quality. Postage from japan is almost always more reasonable than from the usual rip off merchants in the US and Europe.

Gal Fighters is pretty damn good and biomotor unitron is a decent RPG. Dark Arms is a great sort of zelda game as well.

I can't believe nobody recommended Card Fighters Clash, it's one of the best reasons to own a NGPC.

This is the guy with the lot I was talking about, this one here is good but not as good value as the previous one I got. All the games in it are must haves really but you only really need one version of card fighters.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEO-GEO-POCKET-COLOR-GAMES-4-EACH-PICK-YOUR-OWN-LOT-/251087999240?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a7602d108

Two other good lots:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/9-LOT-SNK-NEO-GEO-POCKET-COLOR-GAMES-KING-FIGHTERS-/310325033923?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4840d03bc3

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/9-LOT-Neo-Geo-Pocket-Color-games-Fatal-King-Fighters-/390323525644?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item5ae118580c

• Advertisement

I could be stung for customs though buying from JP couldn't I? Might be worth a chance though

Master of the Universe

You won't be stung by customs for something that low in price. The low end threshold was somewhere around 75 last time I checked. If anything, I think it may have gone up.

Yeah it's well below the threshold. I got the special edition of Catherine and a boxed 3DS through customs. The secret of my success?? Customs don't bother checking anything that comes through normal post. As long as you don't use a courier like UPS you'll be fine.

Customs don't bother checking anything that comes through normal post.

I got a SAL parcel stopped once. :(

Master of the Universe

EMS also doesn't usually get stopped.

Stay miles away from DHL and Fedex.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement