Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus closed Wednesday Dec 1, AND Thursday Dec 2, AND Friday Dec 3

Options
  • 01-12-2010 12:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

UCD Belfield & Blackrock campuses closing at 2.00 pm / Lectures to finish at 12.00pm

Due to the deterioration in the weather conditions, lectures and events are finishing at 12 o’clock today and the Belfield & Blackrock campuses will close early at 2.00pm, for health and safety reasons.

Please take care as you leave the campus. Those using the carparks should take heed of bollards and road kerbs that may be difficult to see.

The President’s lunchtime seminar has been postponed and an update will be posted on the events calendar.

Given the weather forecast, it may be that the campus remains unavoidably closed tomorrow, Thursday 2 December. Please consult the website for updates.

Residential services remain open. Catering and studying arrangements have been made for students in residence. Please contact residence assistants (RAs) for details.

In an emergency situation on campus, please call the UCD First Response Room on (01) 716 7999 for assistance.

Please continue to check this page for updates.

http://www.ucd.ie/news/2010/11NOV10/301110-Campus-weather-update.html

Good thing I saw this, I was just about to head in.

Mod Edit:
    Thursday 2nd December: UCD Belfield & Blackrock campuses closed
    Due to the anticipated further deterioration in weather conditions, the Belfield and Blackrock campuses will remain closed on Thursday, 2nd December 2010, for health and safety reasons.
    A decision regarding opening on Friday, 3rd December, will be made on Thursday afternoon and posted on the website as soon as possible.

EDIT:
    Friday 3rd December: UCD Belfield & Blackrock campuses closed

Unfortunately, due to the continuing deterioration in weather conditions, the Belfield and Blackrock campuses will remain closed on Friday, 3rd December 2010, for health and safety reasons.

A decision regarding opening on Saturday, 4th December, will be posted on this website as soon as possible.

Language Exams
    The Language exams timetabled for the Blackrock Exam Centre on Friday, 3rd and Saturday, 4th December have been rescheduled to Wednesday, 8th and Thursday, 9th December.

Friday, 3rd December Language exams will take place in Blackrock on Wednesday, 8th December at 2.00pm

Saturday, 4th December Language exams will take place in Blackrock on Thursday, 9th December at the same times of 10.00am, 12.00pm, 2.00pm and 4.00pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

leave house at 8.20 get into ucd at 10.40 and leaving ucd at 12 - well i should have stayed in bed, we didnt even do anything useful in that time ffs

FML

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UCDSU

Morning all,

Classes stop at 12pm today with campus closing at 2pm...

Keep an eye on our facebook where we will keep posting updates

http://www.facebook.com/ucdsu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

This is a joke! UCD really needs to learn how to do with the snow - some of us need access and this snow is normal for entire countries for entire seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Is it that bad? Will the library and everything be closed as well? I take it campus closing is everything but just wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

scopper wrote: »
    This is a joke! UCD really needs to learn how to do with the snow - some of us need access and this snow is normal for entire countries for entire seasons.

Is Ireland one of those countries? No. This amount of snow is an incredibly rare event for November. If we spent thousands on equipment for snow people would slam it as wastage. As a university I would not expect UCD to have any heavy machinery to deal with this. Much smarter decision to close early than to end up with people being stuck in miles of traffic in darkness on the exits from UCD.

Its a completely sensible decision to close early

• Advertisement

early is 3 or so.

When it takes some people - 3.40 mins to get here and then have to leave after 1.20 you can see how people will be pissed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I agree that it's only a bit of snow and it shouldn't shut the country down, but we just don't have the infrastructure to be able to handle it. It took me over 2 hours to get home on Monday and today is so much worse.

I just hope they decide early whether they are opening tomorrow or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Same, I'm due to have an exam tomorrow, and would really like to know whats going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I'd say it'll be closed tomorrow lads.
    [FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Given the weather forecast, it may be that the campus remains unavoidably closed tomorrow, Thursday 2 December[/FONT]
    I do realise it only says "may be closed", but I dunno, weather forecasts aren't great for tonight either!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I was about to leave the house to head up there around lunchtime to polish off an essay for Friday (I'm a sctrictly last-minute kinda guy). So I rang and asked would an extension be given. Probably not she says, as it's just a half-day. Bit harsh considering we all assumed the library would be open until 10pm up until 11am. I would hope if it's closed tomorrow they will relent and grant extensions. I can't do anything without the books I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

UCDSU wrote: »
    Morning all,

Classes stop at 12pm today with campus closing at 2pm...

I didn't get that from the OP's post. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Early days I know, but with no end in sight to this snow I feel justified in asking this!
    Is there any contingency plan if this weather persists near exam time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

It took me 3 fecking hours to get home. FML

Hopefully its open tomorrow as I really need to get books from the library.

kev9100 wrote: »
    It took me 3 fecking hours to get home. FML

Hopefully its open tomorrow as I really need to get books from the library.

Probably wont be unfortunately. I was talking to one of the librarians and she was highly doubtful that it would be. There's more snow forecasted for tonight and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Ucd better give us a decent warning. A warning at 9 in the morning that the college is shut is useless if you have a lecture at 9.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The DCU campus is staying closed until 12 noon tomorrow. I suspect UCD will have to announce something similar. It will give them time to assess the situation in the morning and decide whether to re-open.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Did she mean library or entire campus? I'm supposed to be in for an appointment elsewhere tomorrow afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If they're closing the library, they'll likely shut everything down again. Library would probably be the last thing to close, I'd imagine.

Tried calling first response to see if they had info, they didn't. Guy said to watch the website and had no idea when a decision would be made.

Forecast doesn't look good - if nothing else, it'll stay below freezing all night and the 3 inches of sow on the ground will stick about. And in all likelihood, there'll be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Thursday 2nd December: UCD Belfield & Blackrock campuses closed
    Due to the anticipated further deterioration in weather conditions, the Belfield and Blackrock campuses will remain closed on Thursday, 2nd December 2010, for health and safety reasons.
    A decision regarding opening on Friday, 3rd December, will be made on Thursday afternoon and posted on the website as soon as possible.
    http://www.ucd.ie/news/2010/11NOV10/301110-Campus-weather-update.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I suppose its the only option. I know its a huge long-shot, but any chance the classes that were cancelled may be re-schedueled?

• Advertisement

If you have a decent lecturer they will reschedule - for example I know that one of my classes will most likely be rescheduled or taken into consideration and the other shambles will be ignored and a tuff **** sorta attitude given.

Extensions on essays will surely have to be granted now???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

It'll all depend on the lecturer, but I can't imagine that many would get an extension. I'd say the attitude taken by lecturers would be that you can work on your essays at home, or they should be nearly finished if they're due on Friday. I know that people need to use the library, but from my experience most lecturers wouldn't be so forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Contact your module co-ordinator. Some of them probably value their Christmas holidays and might be reluctant to extend their deadlines ;) They will probably be forced to as the college most likely wont be open Friday. Modules where your assignment had to be submitted electronically might run as normal. Just contact the co-ordinator to be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

So the library is closed then? I'm assuming all super-fines will be written off for short-loan books due tommorrow.. they'll prob still appear on my library account to frighten me tho :eek:

So the library is closed then? I'm assuming all super-fines will be written off for short-loan books due tommorrow.. they'll prob still appear on my library account to frighten me tho :eek:

No fines will be given. I asked a librarian that today and they said not to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

If the college is still closed on Monday due the weather conditions I presume the graduation ceremonies taking place on Monday will be called off also? I suppose notification of this won't be given until Sunday...

mc1990 wrote: »
    If the college is still closed on Monday due the weather conditions I presume the graduation ceremonies taking place on Monday will be called off also? I suppose notification of this won't be given until Sunday...

When they say the college is closed they mean the whole college, so I don't see why it wouldn't be called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

WeeBushy wrote: »
    When they say the college is closed they mean the whole college, so I don't see why it wouldn't be called off.

Yeah thought so. Hope it is called off at this stage..

• Advertisement

Notorious wrote: »
    It'll all depend on the lecturer, but I can't imagine that many would get an extension. I'd say the attitude taken by lecturers would be that you can work on your essays at home, or they should be nearly finished if they're due on Friday. I know that people need to use the library, but from my experience most lecturers wouldn't be so forgiving.

It's a history essay, I need books. I don't think it's a case of being forgiving I think it's a case of looking at the situation and applying common sense. College is closed 2 days, extend deadline by 2 days.

Advertisement