Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus closed Wednesday Dec 1, AND Thursday Dec 2, AND Friday Dec 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

mc1990 wrote: »
    Yeah thought so. Hope it is called off at this stage..

Would make for some cool grad photo with all the snow in the background. You would be a prime target for those people who hang out around the library, however...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Would make for some cool grad photo with all the snow in the background. You would be a prime target for those people who hang out around the library, however...

Yeah would be a nice photo alright! And would definitely be prime target :rolleyes: Better not collect the robes on Friday if there's a possibility it might not go ahead, would have to come all the way back up to Dublin just to give them back then if it was cancelled..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

It's a history essay, I need books.

Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

...I think it's a case of looking at the situation and applying common sense.

It's UCD we're talking about. Nobody in the upper echelons does common sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Should have at least got the Civil Defence in to do the job services don't seem to be able to do.

Then again, transport to and from UCD remains one of the primary reasons the campus is closed I would suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Japan?

Don't know about the other person, but I have Japan for Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Don't know about the other person, but I have Japan for Friday.

Nah, it's a repeat. I have a Glaciation and the Quarternary one due too. My plan was history today and geography tomorrow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Nah, it's a repeat. I have a Glaciation and the Quarternary one due too. My plan was history today and geography tomorrow. :(

I'm doing Glaciation and Quaternary as well. Doing the Thermohaline and its like drawing blood from a stone. It will be a tight one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I left UCD at 12pm yesterday and arrived home (in Swords) at 2:40pm!!

GobBass wrote: »
    I'm doing Glaciation and Quaternary as well. Doing the Thermohaline and its like drawing blood from a stone. It will be a tight one.

It's not much fun, is it? I'm absolutely dreadful with physical geography as it is :)

• Advertisement

I'm doing Glaciation...

Very appropriate.

Hurrah, an email from Colman with the deadline extended till next Friday. I don't have a bog about what he's talking about in class but he's a thoroughly nice fellow, it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

One of the best decisions I ever made was not doing that Glaciation module. I heard it was torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

For a guy like me who loves political geography, I was devastated when Alun Jones went on annual leave. I was left with either this or River Catchment Systems. I was preferring to get the torture over with this semester rather than going up the Dodder with Turner. But I've kinda gotten clusterfecked with work,especially in the last three weeks and it won't get better until the 17th.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

UCD needs to open up tomorrow, I need to get books out of the library. Slight thaw due tomorrow so it has to be open for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Not a chance, it's pretty 'effin stupid that they have not already announced its closure for tomorrow. People are gonna find it hard enough to get home this weekend (am sure a good few will return home for study week!) what with the weather and useless Irish transport system... today is just as bad if not worse than yesterday so going on that rationale it should be deemed 'unsafe' for the rest of the week and give people early notice to make travel arrangements for the weekend - it's going to be a nightmare getting anywhere and you know it! Not all of us live in the epicentre of the universe either i.e. 'Dublin' - imagine having to travel to Cork/Galway/Donegal with this snow malarkey :)

Anyways, UCD admin or whoever has jurisdiction over this - hurry the fcuk up and make up your mind as you're wasting my time, money and central heating bill, oh and you're scuppering my travel plans to boot. Draw a line and make a decision.

Kapiche?

JayC5 wrote: »
    Not a chance, it's pretty 'effin stupid that they have not already announced its closure for tomorrow. People are gonna find it hard enough to get home this weekend (am sure a good few will return home for study week!) what with the weather and useless Irish transport system... today is just as bad if not worse than yesterday so going on that rationale it should be deemed 'unsafe' for the rest of the week and give people early notice to make travel arrangements for the weekend - it's going to be a nightmare getting anywhere and you know it! Not all of us live in the epicentre of the universe either i.e. 'Dublin' - imagine having to travel to Cork/Galway/Donegal with this snow malarkey :)

Anyways, UCD admin or whoever has jurisdiction over this - hurry the fcuk up and make up your mind as you're wasting my time, money and central heating bill, oh and you're scuppering my travel plans to boot. Draw a line and make a decision.

Kapiche?

There are many people who need books and access to the library for essays and study. UCD admin are waiting until this afternoon so that there might be a chance that they can open the college tomorrow for these people, and everyone else. I think that's perfectly reasonable. If they had decided yesterday that they were closing the college tomorrow and the weather picked up there would be uproar.

Yes people need to make travel arrangements, but its not like you're stuck outside waiting. You've got a roof over your head and somewhere to study, its not the end of the world.

They're doing there best in a difficult situation, give them a break imo.

It doesn't seem like the people in UCD are going to make a decision too soon. I rang the university there and the guy on the other end of the phone said that the relevant webpage may be updated as late as 7.30pm. I hope it won't be that late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It is UCD in fairness not UCI - emphasis on Dublin is expected.

Also I live in Dublin but it takes me longer to get into town than people in cavan and other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There is very little chance UCD is open tomorrow, all you have to do is look at the weather forcast. Poor form for UCD taking this long to announce it.
    Tonight's Weather
    There will be further wintry showers along the east coast and in the northwest at first tonight, but it will be mainly dry elsewhere. Another cold and icy night with very low temperatures ranging from -4 to -11 degrees. After midnight, a band of sleet and snow will spread into the west of the country off the Atlantic and this will sweep across much of the country later.

Tomorrow
    It will be an icy and snowy start to Friday for much of the country with falls of heavy snow in the midlands, east and the northeast. While in the west of the country there will be a mixture of rain, sleet and snow. Later in the morning drier and brighter weather will extend from the west, with sunny spells and scattered showers, some of which will be wintry. Highest afternoon temperatures on Friday of -1 to plus 4 C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

emphasis on Dublin... what do I expect... wha..tf?

Dublin Airport also contains the word 'Dublin' in its title - so you're suggesting that the airport takes preference of Dublin people first also...?

let me guess - you refer to anything past the Red Cow Inn as 'down the country' ?

Someone please sponsor me so I can emigrate from this God forsaken place....

JayC5 wrote: »
    emphasis on Dublin... what do I expect... wha..tf?

Dublin Airport also contains the word 'Dublin' in its title - so you're suggesting that the airport takes preference of Dublin people first also...?

let me guess - you refer to anything past the Red Cow Inn as 'down the country' ?

Someone please sponsor me so I can emigrate from this God forsaken place....

I think what he means is that the vast majority of people who go to UCD are based in Dublin, and the rest nearby in neighbouring counties. It's not that unreasonable for them to focus on Dublin.

Dublin airport services more than just Dublin, so your analogy is wrong.

That chip on your shoulder is unbecoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

UCD is a college in Dublin - you dont travel internationally from UCD.

Again I live in Dublin, but it takes me longer to get to UCD than some people from cavan and other places.

But I chose UCD as you did, so complaining is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Todays snowfall is far greater already than yesterdays so unless Services are pouring millions of litres of boiling water around campus you can take it that the place wont be open tomorrow.

Todays snowfall is far greater already than yesterdays so unless Services are pouring millions of litres of boiling water around campus you can take it that the place wont be open tomorrow.

And when it the water freezes we can skate into college :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

If the college is closed tomorrow would the exams be affected? The last week is easily the most important with lecturers trying to finish the course material and talk about the exam. They'll probably try and reschedule the missed classes for the reading week, I wonder if ucd will take this into consideration and delay the exams?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If the college is closed tomorrow would the exams be affected? The last week is easily the most important with lecturers trying to finish the course material and talk about the exam. They'll probably try and reschedule the missed classes for the reading week, I wonder if ucd will take this into consideration and delay the exams?
    They won't delay the exams unless they absolutely have to. Classes being rescheduled is up to individual lecturers, but I'd imagine most won't bother. All of my remaining lectures were cancelled and we were told to email them with any questions.

Exams will only be delayed if there is trouble getting to and from the venues, it would be an absolute nightmare (financially and logistically) to re-organise the exams. That will be an absolute last resort imo.

I rang UCD again there and another fella said that, although he hasn't received official word, it is highly unlikely that the campus will be open tomorrow as conditions have got progressively worse throughout the day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mickey Rosa

Chances are UCD will remain closed tomorrow just to avoid a Black Friday

Advertisement