Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus closed Wednesday Dec 1, AND Thursday Dec 2, AND Friday Dec 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Exams being pushed back would screw over so many people, like all the internationals who have their flights booked home, or else all the one semester students who don't plan on coming back to Ireland after their exams or to a lesser extent me because I'm meant to be working 3 weeks straight during christmas..

Yeah, but at the same time going ahead with them under current weather conditions would be just as problematic. In addition to the organisational problems, invigilators making it to the exam hall etc, they'd be left with a significant number of students who would be entitled to extenuating circumstances on the basis that they couldn't make it to the exam on time or had no access to the library for the preceding week due to the snow. Then at the end of the day several thousand students could potentially find themselves stranded in town at 8pm because the buses aren't able to run.

I don't think the exams will be called off as weather conditions will probably have improved by then, but if they haven't, I don't think they will have any choice but to postpone them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's what I'm wondering.
    The gown fitting was scheduled for tomorrow but that'll be shelved now. Is there a number to ring to find out?

Wondering that too about my graduation on Wednesday... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭BCC4LYFE

IS UCD OFF TOMOROW LET ME NO PLZ

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

If you haven't read your e-mails or this discussion's previous posts, yes,yes it is open. Open as normal.

LOL jk its closed.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭BCC4LYFE

get in u ****in beuty....****in quallers!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭EoghanRua

Apparently an emergency meeting on the Christmas exams will be held on Monday if the campus remains closed all weekend*

*may not be true

* Why bother posting such unfunny drivel then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm starting to get really worried about my exams, UCD being closed means no library, which for me means serious problems studying. I can't get at some critically important books, and it isn't easy to study in my home. I wish they'd just open the campus, the snow isn't so bad it's impossible to get in, especially for the thousands of people who live closeby...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ash910

http://www.ucd.ie/news/2010/12DEC10/031210-conferring.html

i guess the graduations are still going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Thanks Ash910! I'd better start trekking to UCD now to be there on time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

That's a bit ridiculous. If they can open for conferring, why can't they open the library :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WeeBushy wrote: »
    That's a bit ridiculous. If they can open for conferring, why can't they open the library :confused:
    Maybe they will. Graduations are on Monday, no?

Maybe they will. Graduations are on Monday, no?

Brainfart... was thinking they were on today.

Indignation and outrage towards UCD subsides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

There hasn't been any snow today thus far and there are no lectures/tutorials on Saturdays so I'd imagine campus will be open tomorrow.

There hasn't been any snow today thus far and there are no lectures/tutorials on Saturdays so I'd imagine campus will be open tomorrow.

None forecasted for tonight or tomorrow either, and the sun is out getting its melt on so hopefully it will.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/county.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

It's snowing pretty heavily now...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yellow belly du

WeeBushy wrote: »
    None forecasted for tonight or tomorrow either, and the sun is out getting its melt on so hopefully it will.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/county.asp

Also from the MET website, forecast for Dublin:

Today

Heavy snowfall today with significant accumulation. Temperatures reaching no more than -1 to +3 degrees. Winds will be mainly light to moderate southwesterly.

Tonight

Wintry showers moving eastwards across the region later with yet more snow accumulations. A sharp to severe frost and icy conditions will persist on untreated roads and pavements. Freezing fog in parts too, with just light variable breezes. Lowest temperatures will range 0 to -6 degrees.

Tomorrow

Further wintry showers expected on and off during Saturday, possibly falling heavy at times too. Bitterly cold, with afternoon maxima of just 1 to 3 degrees generally. Winds will be mainly light northerly.

Notorious wrote: »

Oh, its sunny and melting, slightly, where I am (Milltown)
    Also from the MET website, forecast for Dublin:

Balls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Exams likely to be put back now as weather is predicted to last for another week :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Notorious wrote: »

Where are you? Got a bit of rain and sunshine here. No snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Paracore wrote: »
    Exams likely to be put back now as weather is predicted to last for another week :/

I find this VERY unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Any word on whether it'll be open tomorrow? Can't get onto the UCD site at all at the moment.

kateos2 wrote: »
    Any word on whether it'll be open tomorrow? Can't get onto the UCD site at all at the moment.
    Not yet. It'll probably be around 6pm before they make a decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

I find this VERY unlikely

Afraid so Mardy Bum. Just off the phone with a member of UCD staff. Can't believe it cos it's going to cost me a few work days over Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Exams won't be put back. Major snow fall has finished for the foreseeable future... and anyone who throws Met Éireann predictions in my face, remember that they predicted 10cm of snow for Dublin before midday and all we've gotten is rain with some sunny intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Afraid so Mardy Bum. Just off the phone with a member of UCD staff. Can't believe it cos it's going to cost me a few work days over Christmas :(

Surely not???
    If this snow clears up in the next few days then surely there is no reason for them to postpone exams no?

I see Trinity has just announced that it is closing (classes were already cancelled) and remaining closed until Monday.

EDIT: DCU isn't opening tomorrow either. Doesn't look good for UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Unless the staff can predict what the weather will be like in in over a weeks time, I find it hard to believe they would say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dovescar

What about Black Friday? Would be some racket in the snow, giddyup!

Campus closed Saturday and Sunday as well.
    Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th December: UCD Belfield & Blackrock campuses closed – Campuses reopening Monday 6th December

Due to the ongoing poor weather conditions the Belfield and Blackrock campuses will remain closed on Saturday, 4th and Sunday, 5th December 2010, for health and safety reasons. Both campuses will reopen on Monday, 6th December. Grounds staff will be working over the weekend to clear accumulated snow and ice on campus roads and paths. However, extreme care should continue to be exercised in travelling to UCD, accessing carparks, where bollards and road kerbs may be difficult to see, and using paths and steps.

Please continue to check this page for updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

You think they would send a few staff members into the library so people living locally can go in and get books.

Advertisement