Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus closed Wednesday Dec 1, AND Thursday Dec 2, AND Friday Dec 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You think they would send a few staff members into the library so people living locally can go in and get books.

Its closed for insurance reasons id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 141089

Just got this email
    Dear UCD Student,

I hope that you are surviving the frost and snow. Here is some information in regard to questions that you might have about your modules and the loss of the last two and half days of term due to the severe weather.

Firstly, there will be no extra classes held next week (beginning 6th December 2010), many students have returned home and the continuing poor weather makes travel difficult and dangerous. There are a very small number of graduate modules scheduled for next week and students should watch Blackboard for information on these modules.

Most lecturers have covered the whole curriculum before the last week of term and the final lecture/s are mostly a wrap-up of the module. However, I have asked all lecturers to review their exam papers and to see if there was any material due to be delivered in classes at the end of this week that would be needed by students to attempt any part of their papers. If there is, I have asked the academic staff to:

1. Communicate with students through Blackboard to bring them up to date on any issues in regard to a module that need clarifying;

2. Where it is needed, put extra reading material up on Blackboard to cover any areas that need clarification;

3. When grading exams, revise the grading strategy so as not to penalise students who cannot answer a question that relates to material not covered in class.

Please keep checking Blackboard over the next few days for updates from your lecturers.

Again, bear in mind that a very small number of teaching hours were lost due to the bad weather and your Programme Dean and Head/s of School and I will be closely monitoring the situation to ensure that all students will be treated fairly in what they are and are not expected to know, so that they can do well in their modules.

My very best wishes to you in your upcoming exams,

Kind regards

Bairbre

Professor Bairbre Redmond MSocSc, DASS, CQSW, PhD
    Deputy Registrar Teaching and Learning
    Tierney Building, UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4
    Tel: +353-1-7161069
    www.ucd.ie/teaching

Seems fair but gay cause my class were gonna have much needed tutorials

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Surely the library being closed for 5 and half days just before the exams deserves a mention on that email?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

half day thursday, friday, saturday and sunday = 3 and a half days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Grimes wrote: »
    Its closed for insurance reasons id say.
    I'd gladly sign away whatever right I have to claim for a fall in UCD for the weekend. Open the library for an hour or two on saturday, it really shouldn't be too much to ask with all of a week to go until final exams.

• Advertisement

half day thursday, friday, saturday and sunday = 3 and a half days?

No it closed on half day Wednesday. I can't count so its 4.5 days. Do you not think that is quite a big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

That email was probably sent to pre-empt any extenuating circumstances applications as a result of the closure of the library.

No it closed on half day Wednesday. I can't count so its 4.5 days. Do you not think that is quite a big deal?

huge deal - personally im more worried bout missed lectures and more importantly missed tutorials/labs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

half day thursday, friday, saturday and sunday = 3 and a half days

I really hope it's not maths your studying Littlefriend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Paracore wrote: »
    half day thursday, friday, saturday and sunday = 3 and a half days

I really hope it's not maths your studying Littlefriend!

Littlefriend said half day wednesday, thursday, friday etc etc etc....

• Advertisement

it is closed for too long - leave it at that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

Gah. Need books for study. Books are in locker. Locker is in Roebuck. Roebuck is in UCD. UCD is closed till Monday. Load of wánk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

This is really pretty disastrous.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The cancelled lectures don't bother me, but 4 and half days with no access to the library is a pretty severe setback so close to exams.

The cancelled lectures don't bother me, but 4 and half days with no access to the library is a pretty severe setback so close to exams.

Yeah I agree. What do you think they should do about it though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah I agree. What do you think they should do about it though?
    I don't know. There's probably nothing they can do. The college certainly isn't going to delay the exams over 4 lost days. Right now they are just hoping that's all it is. It's up to individual module coordinators whether they want to take account of this by giving extra tips or taking it easy on people when marking. I'm not optimistic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

In a rare moment of actual organisation, I photocopied all I needed from the books in the Library about three weeks ago. Bit disappointed in myself now I have no excuse not to study :(

It is ridiculous to have the college closed this close to exams. I know one of the librarians who lives on the dual carriage across from Brewery Road. No hassle for him/her to get in. Open the library for a few hours on either day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

i HAVE NO F*CKING BOOKS TO STUDY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

i HAVE NO F*CKING BOOKS TO STUDY

Join the club. Go over your lecture notes... presuming you went to them.

• Advertisement

The web can also be used for study and not just boards etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If only there was some vast collection of information available in an interconnected network we could all do some study...

Seriously, don't not study just because you have an excuse not to

I forgot the entire UCD library was available on the internet, I'm such a tw*t...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Ah, I've been using the 'UCD is closed' excuse to justify not studying since Wed. It IS a perfect excuse to make yourself feel better about study, and looking at photos on Facebook of others enjoying the snow only cements the logic of using that as an excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Does anyone know what will happen regarding people who missed labs and tutorials?I missed a lab on Monday as I couldn't make it to UCD but the campus was still open so I presume I just lose whatever that was worth. I missed another one on Thursday worth 5% of a module when the campus was actually closed. Do I have a chance in getting any credit for that or is the whole situation just seen as a act of God and therefore tough luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Victoria. wrote: »
    Does anyone know what will happen regarding people who missed labs and tutorials?I missed a lab on Monday as I couldn't make it to UCD but the campus was still open so I presume I just lose whatever that was worth. I missed another one on Thursday worth 5% of a module when the campus was actually closed. Do I have a chance in getting any credit for that or is the whole situation just seen as a act of God and therefore tough luck?

Anything you missed when campus was open you're liable for as per usual (Although you can still claim extenuating circumstances if you were stuck somewhere and couldn't attend).

Campus was shut on Thursday so you should be OK for the other one. If it's not rescheduled, most likely it just won't be counted. There's a thaw started and things should be open Monday, give the school a call then and see what's happening.

Thanks Tayto
    Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Campus was shut on Thursday so you should be OK for the other one. If it's not rescheduled, most likely it just won't be counted.

When you say that it won't be counted does that mean that the final exam will just be worth more, because 2/3 of the people doing the module have already done the lab?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Victoria. wrote: »
    Thanks Tayto

When you say that it won't be counted does that mean that the final exam will just be worth more, because 2/3 of the people doing the module have already done the lab?

Most likely rescheduled for reading week if most of the people on the module have already done it, but I'm only guessing. Check with the school on Monday for a more definite answer.

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Most likely rescheduled for reading week if most of the people on the module have already done it, but I'm only guessing. Check with the school on Monday for a more definite answer.

Ok thanks, good luck with your exams :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

SO I have a review lecture schedule tomorrow that the other half of the class has already had...is this definitely cancelled? am I just SOL about it or whats the deal?

Advertisement