Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp/leaking windows. Who should fix??

Options
  • 01-12-2010 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

We bought an apartment just over two years ago, its a new building. We are on the ground floor with a duplex above us. A few months ago I started to notice small damp spots appearing on the wall just in the hallway inside the front door, didnt pay much attention to it but as the weeks went on the damp spots started to rise now they are half way up the wall, I have also started to notice them on almost all the other walls in the apartment. And the bathroom has definite leaks, although not obvious! Does anyone know what could be causing these??:confused:

Also now with the bad weather I have noticed that almost all the windows are leaking and a mould like substance is forming on them all the time ( and on the wall beside the window) I am constantly cleaning it up but a day or two later I start to notice it again.
    Plus one or two cracks, well not cracks but lines have appeared on the ceilings........ its starting to be a real worry. :mad:

To me it feels like structural problems, should my management company do something for me or is this completley the builders problem??
    Does anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Considering it's been two years since you took posession, it's most likely your issue, not the builders or management company. But if you can proof it;s a structural issue which took a while to manifest, you may have a case against the builder.

Are the leaks due to pipes in the bathroom or does it come in from above/ an overhanging roof etc? You'd probably need to get a plumber to have a look first to let you know what can be done; if it is pipes in your apartment, it would be up to you to fix but if it is the roof or similar, the management company would likely be responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

silja wrote: »
    Considering it's been two years since you took posession, it's most likely your issue, .

eh no ..... one word HOMEBOND

Houses have warranties on them like most other goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

D3PO wrote: »
    eh no ..... one word HOMEBOND
    Houses have warranties on them like most other goods.

I think we actuslly agree, as I said "But if you can proof it's a structural issue which took a while to manifest, you may have a case against the builder."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

silja wrote: »
    I think we actuslly agree, as I said "But if you can proof it's a structural issue which took a while to manifest, you may have a case against the builder."

builder has nothing to do with homebond though so thats where the cunfusion is ;)

Advertisement