Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Guitar Power/Barre Chord Question

• 01-12-2010 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Been learning guitar on my own for the last couple of months and going reasonably well. I have started learning power/barre chords and can play them well enough. However if playing a lot of these chords, i seem to develop fairly acute pain in my wrist.

My question is, i suppose, am i doing something wrong which is causing the pain, or am i simply using muscles that arent used often?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Darraghnormal

Rather than pushing your fingers against the frets use your thumb to provide leverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Biggest mistake I see with the few students I have who've tried it is their wrist position. You should try to rotate your hand around to the front of the fretboard so that your thumb is resting on the middle of the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Many thanks for the responses lads, i fear i may have so re-learning to do. Suppose the value of real lessons would become apparent at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Make sure your hand is properly warmed up before playing. That should help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Suppose the value of real lessons would become apparent at some stage.

Yes, at your stage, a teacher is your best bet alright.

Malice_ wrote: »
    Make sure your hand is properly warmed up before playing. That should help.

+100 to this. It is advisable to always warm up with gentle stretches (check You Tube) before and after a practice session.

Until you get a teacher, perhaps this You Tube link might help :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6RGiCZC6I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Many thanks again lads, think i'll book some lessons in the new year.

Advertisement