Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats

• 01-12-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

The rats that have always frequented the neighbourhood where my parents live have come out in force this week :(
    They live near a river and there have always been a few rodents around
    When we were kids we had a JRT that was the BEST ratter i've ever seen

Anyhow the parents are thinking of getting another dog so anyone got any recommendations?

I will state (and I know I'll get blasted for this) but it will be an outside dog
    They will bring it for walks
    It will have a lovely cosy bed in their shed beside the boiler
    It will have access to a massive garden (at least 20ft long and about 10 ft wide)
    The garden is 110% secure with 8ft walls all around it

Was thinking of another JRT type ??
    Will be getting it from the pound or other rescue

Should also keep in mind that my parents house has regular young visitors ages ranging from 9 to 0 :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

used to have 3 pet rats, hhighly intelligent animal. Any wild rat I see now I am not afraid of them to be honest, if anything I think they are cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

angelfire9 wrote: »

Anyhow the parents are thinking of getting another dog so anyone got any recommendations?

I will state (and I know I'll get blasted for this) but it will be an outside dog - Absolutely nothing wrong with having a dog as an outside dog
    They will bring it for walks -
    It will have a lovely cosy bed in their shed beside the boiler
    It will have access to a massive garden (at least 20ft long and about 10 ft wide)
    The garden is 110% secure with 8ft walls all around it

Was thinking of another JRT type ??
    Will be getting it from the pound or other rescue

Should also keep in mind that my parents house has regular young visitors ages ranging from 9 to 0 :D

I'd say go with what you know and stick with the JRT, you'll definitely be more likely to find a suitable dog in a rescue so you're right going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

A lot of rescues won't rehome to you if you're keeping the dog outside - I'm just saying!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JRTs do not do well outside and they are extremely social dogs also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Graces7 wrote: »
    JRTs do not do well outside and they are extremely social dogs also.
    If the shed is dry and warm (ie a good straw bed), there should be no problem in keeping the dog outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

a good warm shed will do a dog no harm, jrt are great ratters, and to the person that thinks they are cute, there is a huge difference between a pet rat and a wild one, the amount of disease is one thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

This dog if it is anything like its predecessor will have the life of luxury
    The last dog had a straw bed inside a dog bed which was inside a box which was inside a coal bunker that my father had gutted for the purpose and this coal bunker was next to the boiler at the back of the shed
    Spoilt a little bit :D

I don't like rescues saying you can't rescue dogs that will be living outside this dog will have a house that is probably warmer than my house at times :rolleyes:

As for being social animals all dogs are social animals and he's not going to be isolated my mother spends half her life in the back garden come rain hail or snow I'm sure in no time if he's like his predecessor he'll have wangled his way into the house from time to time but will be sleeping in his doggy palace :D

Clare Animal Rescue don't have anything suitable at the moment i checked :(
    Off to the pound tomorrow

Just hope that they don't think its a Christmas present & refuse to home a dog at this time of year cos the rats are getting more brazen & my mother is going demented :(

The last dog had a straw bed inside a dog bed which was inside a box which was inside a coal bunker that my father had gutted for the purpose and this coal bunker was next to the boiler at the back of the shed

I don't like rescues saying you can't rescue dogs that will be living outside this dog will have a house that is probably warmer than my house at times :rolleyes:

As for being social animals all dogs are social animals and he's not going to be isolated my mother spends half her life in the back garden come rain hail or snow I'm sure in no time if he's like his predecessor he'll have wangled his way into the house from time to time but will be sleeping in his doggy palace :D

Just hope that they don't think its a Christmas present & refuse to home a dog at this time of year cos the rats are getting more brazen & my mother is going demented :(

I also don't agree with anyone saying basically if a dog lives outside it's unloved. My dog lives outside technically speaking but he has two heated kennels and a large heated run which is contained in a larger heated workshop. I probably spend more time out there than in the house because it's so bloody hot!

You could try asking around your area, there may be somebody looking to give away a dog for different reasons (not enough money to look after it properly, too old/infirm to look after it properly etc etc).

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Problem Sorted I think :D
    The dog warden put me on to a lady who is currently fostering a terrier that has a bit of jack russell and god knows what else in him :D
    Met him this morning he is around 2 years old but really friendly & slightly hyper

Poor thing was found starving and had fleas and worms and his coat is all patchy he is currently under veterinary care but she reckons we should be able to adopt him in the next week or two providing we continue the vet treatment & keep him fed & warm
    She wasn't worried about him being an outdoor doggy as he currently refuses to sleep in her warm kennels with her other dog but has adopted a section of her barn to sleep in at night even in this weather!
    She is calling to see the parents this weekend to make sure the garden is secure and that he will have access to the run of the garden 24/7
    (my father is currently installing a doggy door in the shed so I hope this works out)
    Will post pictures when he has moved in ;)

That's brilliant, glad the little fella has found a home and you've found a pet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah I forgot; this IRELAND.. typical ... Poor wee dog.

They need to be in sound of their person; period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I have no idea what you are saying.

OP - good luck with the new dog. I'd prefer to see an odd rat around - I've kept them as pets and found one outside my back door last week.

'cptr

I've no idea what you're saying either. I assume you are referring to the cruelty the dog experienced in the past, in which case, animal cruelty unfortunately is a worldwide problem, not just confined to Ireland, although our laws do not deal with it in the same way as some countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

First line reads to me like you're implying that it's typical for a dog to be treated poorly in Ireland. (baseless generalisation much?)
    Second line just doesn't make any sense.

Care to explain the meaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

well it's obvious she means that Irelands typical crappy attitude towards the care and wellbeing of pets strikes again.

and that pets need to live within their family's home, in hearing distance of their humans.

Having a dog live outside all the time is not ok just because the physical needs of the dogs are met (shelter, warmth etc). I think it's probably healthier for a dog not to be kept inside 24/7, and my vet agrees as long as they're in at night to sleep.
    But with a totally outdoor dog, what about the emotional and social needs of the dog?

A dog is by nature and design a social animal and it is never in their best interests to be alone for long periods of time. While I do have to leave my two outside in their yard (with kennel) while I'm at work (though not in this weather) they are in the house, in the same room as me, for the rest of the time.

This poor dog outside all the time with no company, not even another dog. I do feel sorry for him.

Tzetze wrote: »
    First line reads to me like you're implying that it's typical for a dog to be treated poorly in Ireland. (baseless generalisation much?)

I think you'll find that most Europeans and North Americans are usually horrified by the treatment of animals in this country. It's generally been the reaction I've gotten when I've talked to any about it.

We don't have the laws, that's for damn sure. But we also don't have the right attitude or standards as a culture - and yes I am generalising. Obviously there are great pet owners here too, it's just there are a lot of scumbags too, and even more people who just don't care.

Think of all the abandoned pets; all the horses that will die this winter from lack of food, water or shelter; the pets that are kept in terrible conditions - sure they're just animals right?; the ones used for fighting, coursing, hunting; of all the farm animals and working dogs and cats kept in sub-standard conditions that everyone turns a blind eye to, especially in rural areas, for fear of offending their neighbours in a small community; of all the once cute puppies, now grown-up and relegated to the back yard, doomed for a life of neglect - sure isn't he grand he's got a kennel; the fact that we are the puppy-farm capital of Europe; the irresponsible breeders destroying Ireland's breeding stock and who have pretty much destroyed Ireland's breeding reputation; the list could go on and on.

Still think she's not right to talk about Ireland's crappy attitude? Our record and current behaviours only reinforce it.

And the institutions we have for the care of animals (e.g. the pounds) are atrocious hell holes of death for the most part.
    Our charities are underfunded and overwhelmed, and struggling to cope with even the basics.

sionnaic wrote: »

This poor dog outside all the time with no company, not even another dog. I do feel sorry for him.

This "poor dog" was found starving and so badly neglected that it has patches on his back where there should be hair!

Are you SERIOUSLY saying that my parents aren't suitable adoptive owners because the dog will not be a house pet and will not have other dogs for company?????????? :eek:

This "poor dog" was found starving and so badly neglected that it has patches on his back where there should be hair!

Are you SERIOUSLY saying that my parents aren't suitable adoptive owners because the dog will not be a house pet and will not have other dogs for company?????????? :eek:

Yes.

I hate to see any dogs left outside 24/7 - I just don't understand people who do this. But at least outdoor dogs who have other dogs for company (who they can curl up with, play with etc) have some level of social interaction. An outdoor dog with no kennel mate must be very very lonely indeed.

I'm not saying your parents aren't nice people (I'm sure they are very decent) or that they wouldn't take good physical care of him (all the preparations you described seem very well thought out). But no one should have a dog if that dog is to be left in the garden 24/7 on his own, with the only human interaction being feeding time and whenever someone has to do something in the garden (which in winter can only be rarely!).

Dogs are not solitary creatures, they have social needs and it's a form of psychological abuse to keep them as such. No amount of dressing it up will change that fact.

This poor little dog sounds like he has an awful past and in my opinion deserves a loving home where his new owners will put time and effort into rehabilitating him.

I would love to hear that he is going to a home where he can live out his days sleeping on his bed in the kitchen or in front of a fire, playing games or going training, going for long walks, maybe making new doggy friends and ending the day curled up on his human's lap getting lots of pets and cuddles. I think he deserves that more than a coal bunker in a shed on his own, even if it is really warm.

Sorry if this offends you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

We'd all love it if he were going to a home where he'd be pampered to his hearts content, but a warm kennel and a full belly is hugely preferable to starving to death on the streets. And the OP has already said that 1) their mum practically lives in the garden so I doubt the dog will be completely isolated and 2) the dog refuses to go into the house where it's being fostered, so it will most likely be perfectly happy.

sionnaic wrote: »
    Yes.

I hate to see any dogs left outside 24/7 - I just don't understand people who do this. But at least outdoor dogs who have other dogs for company (who they can curl up with, play with etc) have some level of social interaction. An outdoor dog with no kennel mate must be very very lonely indeed.

I'm not saying your parents aren't nice people (I'm sure they are very decent) or that they wouldn't take good physical care of him (all the preparations you described seem very well thought out). But no one should have a dog if that dog is to be left in the garden 24/7 on his own, with the only human interaction being feeding time and whenever someone has to do something in the garden (which in winter can only be rarely!).

Dogs are not solitary creatures, they have social needs and it's a form of psychological abuse to keep them as such. No amount of dressing it up will change that fact.

This poor little dog sounds like he has an awful past and in my opinion deserves a loving home where his new owners will put time and effort into rehabilitating him.

I would love to hear that he is going to a home where he can live out his days sleeping on his bed in the kitchen or in front of a fire, playing games or going training, going for long walks, maybe making new doggy friends and ending the day curled up on his human's lap getting lots of pets and cuddles. I think he deserves that more than a coal bunker in a shed on his own, even if it is really warm.

Sorry if this offends you.

I really don't think anyone has the right to judge another's preferences with regards to dogs staying indoors or outdoors
    You may have good intentions but in my opinion they are not well founded in this instance

Certainly I think a home with my parents where the dog will not starve or be infested with parasites is preferable to his previous existence and frankly I do find it offensive that others can assume a dog will be neglected if it is not 110% pampered, there is a happy medium you know!

• Advertisement

Some of the posts on this thread are absolutely ridiculous.

I do hope the OP is not offended by the views of a small minority.

It is the kind of attitude expressed in some of the posts above that discourages people from reaching out for help when they actually need it for fear of being judged so harshly.

Doggy found his new home today
    Will post pictures when it looks more like a dog and less like something that has been dragged backwards through a hedge :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

OP did you get the dog primarily as a pet or a rat killer ?.

Ireland is pretty unique. If you posted this in most European countries you would get huge criticism & could risk prosecution. Try posting on a UK forum that you keep a JRT outside.

If we ever get an Animal Welfare Bill, like the rest of Europe, then keeping a dog outside in this weather without adequate protection will be illegal. A bit of straw will not suffice.

I know of several dogs that are kept by a very caring owner - she only feeds them free range organic meat. They sleep in a stable complete with individual kennels & straw. She was surprised to find their water bowls frozen in the morning. I left a max min thermometer in overnight.

Outside temp -4c
    Inside stable -2
    Inside kennels with a dog sleeping +2

That would constitute illegal cruelty in many countries. The only acceptable solution is heating such as heatlamps or heatpads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Discodog I think you missed the bit about the dog having a bed beside the boiler in the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Discodog I think you missed the bit about the dog having a bed beside the boiler in the shed.

I was particularly referring to all the comments about criticism of dogs being outside. Being near the boiler may be OK if the boiler runs during the night. It would not need to be off for long for the temperature to plummet. All I keep saying is that you don't know how cold your dog gets unless you measure it which is cheap & easy to do.

Discodog wrote: »
    I was particularly referring to all the comments about criticism of dogs being outside. Being near the boiler may be OK if the boiler runs during the night. It would not need to be off for long for the temperature to plummet. All I keep saying is that you don't know how cold your dog gets unless you measure it which is cheap & easy to do.

The doggy is in a straw bed INSIDE a cat/small dog kennell which is inside an INSULATED coal bunker (with proper fibre glass insulation covered with thick carpet to prevent injury) (cut out & fitted for the purpose) which is beside the boiler which is on 24/7 at the moment
    His corner of my parents shed is even draught excluded and far warmer than my house was last night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Well done on giving this poor doggie a happy home. It sounds like your parents have had dogs before so they know the work needed in keeping a doggie happy!!!
    that kennel sounds far warmer than the ones i've seen some people keep their dogs in!!!

As for the comments on rat catching, it's the same principle as getting a cat to catch mice, JRT love it, they are born little hunters... :) Best of luck!!

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Well done on giving this poor doggie a happy home. It sounds like your parents have had dogs before so they know the work needed in keeping a doggie happy!!!
    that kennel sounds far warmer than the ones i've seen some people keep their dogs in!!!

As for the comments on rat catching, it's the same principle as getting a cat to catch mice, JRT love it, they are born little hunters... :) Best of luck!!

He has caught one already... the mother is delighted
    Well she would be if he hadn't dropped it right on the back door step :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lol, if he's anything like my pair he'll take great delight in eating half of it before using the other half as some form of lovely body-rub. Blech.

• Advertisement
Advertisement