Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - December 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Calm and clear. -8.6C and still falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

-2.2 on my new thermometer but I'm a bit sceptical because it's rising not falling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

-5 here in Lucan - feels colder, but not as cold as this time last night thankfully. No sign of any snow.

Everything is still white from the dusting we got on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

-2.2 on my new thermometer but I'm a bit sceptical because it's rising not falling!

It will probably rise if you are getting cloud cover which may indicate you are about to get a snow shower

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

2 degrees here in crosshaven co cork
    south easterly picking up and clouds building out to sea
    some decent sleet or snow within 12 hours looks like a good bet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

-1.4c here in Waterford City, not as cold as yesterday evening.

Live Data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

-6.9c and falling, clear skies all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

-4.6c here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

-8.0c -9.4 dewpoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

-2.9 in Slane. Some light clouds.

• Advertisement

If you had a theremometer on top of one of the mountains in the northern half of Ireland it would be interesting to see the tempertures tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Just hit -10C.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Current data
    19 December 2010 20:35:24

Temperature (°C):
    Current -12.1
    Trend (per hour) -0.4
    Average today -8.2
    Wind chill -12.1
    Heat Index -12.1
    Dew Point -14.3
    Rel Humidity 83%

Pressure (mb):
    Current 1000.1
    Trend (per hour) +0.2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sandyford

It's calm and snowing lightly with tiny flakes, on and off. Covered the car tracks on the road outside made in last night's snow - which remained intact all day where not disturbed.

Temp -3C. I can hear the foghorns from the sea so I reckon we are being brushed by the edge of some showers drifting around the coast.

Looking at the radar it seems some of those streamers are trying to develop; but the wind, very light, is from a generally NW direction after being easterly all day.

I see the Met Eireann site is giving -10C for Letterkenny tonight with a max of -5 for the next two days! That's cold!

Castlederg

Looking for records on the Met Office (UK) website I see the lowest max ever recorded in NI was:

-9.0 °C 27 December 1995 Boom Hall (County Derry)

And today the highest temp at Castlederg was -11C. :eek:

That's an all-time record for NI. Is it an all-time Irish record anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Another little snow shower here in the NW Donegal...nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Still nothing here in Clonmel. Dont know what the temp is. Would guess around zero but there isnt even ice on my windscreen yet. Its like two different countries.

Pangea wrote: »
    If you had a theremometer on top of one of the mountains in the northern half of Ireland it would be interesting to see the tempertures tonight :D

Probably not as cold as in the snow covered valleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Castlederg

Looking for records on the Met Office (UK) website I see the lowest max ever recorded in NI was:

-9.0 °C 27 December 1995 Boom Hall (County Derry)

And today the highest temp at Castlederg was -11C. :eek:

That's an all-time record for NI. Is it an all-time Irish record anyone know?
    It was mentioned at the start on the BBC NI Weather this evening. I actually thought that the coldest recorded temperature for December in Northern Ireland was also broken last night but I'll need to double check.

Edit: The lowest recorded minimum temperature for December is -16.1C, so currently it's just a fraction off breaking this.

The last measurement in Castlederg was at 9pm, -15.9C.

Lowest official:

-17.5 °C 1 January 1979 Magherally (County Down) (for any month!)

There is an "unofficial" low of -19C from 1881 but the exposure wasn't standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

just hit -15 on van temperature guage .

Sandyford again....

Further south in the Dublin burbs it is still snowing, slightly heavier now. Temp holding steady at -3C.

From the radar it looks like we might have some streamer activity going. The last one brought 28cm of snow three weeks ago so here's hoping! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,139 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It was -14.7 outside of Killygordon, Co. Donegal about an hour ago but the temp. has risen a little and its now -13.8 :eek:

I put a little thermometer outside yesterday evening at 4:30 and it was reading -9 at that stage.

This cold weather is costing me a fortune on hot whiskey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Just took a walk downtown (letterkenny). Got -13.5C on my Kestrel 2500 by the Unifi site ~25m asl. -6.8C back up at the house, 105m asl

Sandyford...

As there will be no records down here tonight I'll post this photo to show how long this has been going on!

The dirty grey pile covered in last night's dusting (pic taken at midday today) is one of the piles that line the Luas line after it was cleared of the "streamer snow" of late November/early December.

Hopefully by tomorrow morning we won't be able to see these piles as they'll be buried in several feet of new stuff!

IMG_3769-1.jpg

-8.4c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

-7.9, 994hPa, steady now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Ballyhaise doing nicely in the 2200 Met reports....-12!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Its mild here in Waterford City compared to the vast majority of the country, Temp is -1.3c which has risen from -1.9c earlier. Moon is out but there is high cloud keeping the temp up.

More Live Data and Webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

-15.9C in Castlederg, just 0.2C off the record now

-14.3C in Kilygordan again having risen for a while

Not sure here as I've still got no thermometer but I'd take a guess at -10C or so, some showers in the north of the county all evening but nothings made it this far yet

Advertisement