Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - December 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

5cm snow has fallen in north Kildare in the last hour and still snowing. It was very difficult to see through it while driving on an unlit road.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Very light snow at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Six to seven inches in Stillorgan. Luckily I swept the footpaths at 15:30 before it started. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

-9.4 clear :(:( no sign of any snow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Twas on the news that its snowing in NW Donegal in Gaoith Dobhair. There must be some truth to raintoday afterall ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very cold,clear and calm in Castlebar,some Fog forming in places.-7 at.1005.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

-3.2c here in Waterford, coldest night of the spell definitely on the cards.

Live Data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

Pangea wrote: »
    Twas on the news that its snowing in NW Donegal in Gaoith Dobhair. There must be some truth to raintoday afterall ;)

So it twas lol, snow picked up a bit here too, temp slightly up to -4.3c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Im a long way from letterkenny sir ;)

Raintoday has snow over me nontsop since 6pm, havent seen a flake fall yet. :cool:

Pangea, that's odd. Since I discovered it (a few days ago thanks to you folk here) it has been amazingly accurate!

Stopped snowing here 8pm. Leaving 16cm; temp still -3C. Cloudy, dead calm. Not a breath of wind during all that snow either. Just the sweet sound of foghorns.....

I don't know how you get a screen grab of "rain today" onto here - but looking at the 21:30 version it appears Donegal is covered from stem to stern in falling snow.

Meanwhile our streamer seems to be scuttling inland over Kildare and into Offaly. :(

IMG_3867-1.jpg

No - the ruler (Dublin bus - don't ask!) is not cut off at the bottom or stuck into the ground.....this shortly before the snow scuttled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

No snow in Ballybofey just yet, according to rain today should have snow any moment, will keep you all posted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Had it up to here with the raintoday charts, Il let yas know if its actually snowing here ,dont pay heed to the precipation on raintoday, still dry as a bone here.

Is it foggy up there? I reckon what raintoday is showing for us is low cloud and fog. There is no reports at all of any percip from these radar images currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Does RTE know where Donegal is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Same story here, lots of fog but not a flake has fallen. There are reports of snow in parts of the county but clearly the raintoday image isnt at all accurate

Harps wrote: »
    Same story here, lots of fog but not a flake has fallen. There are reports of snow in parts of the county but clearly the raintoday image isnt at all accurate

Does the radar not sometimes pick fog up as rain? (I think I read that somewhere) :confused:

Not sure, raintoday has always been extremely accurate for me, I've used it since last winter and this is the first time its really been wrong

Looking at the most recent images most of the more intense showers seem to be just missing Letterkenny which could support the theory that low cloud and fog is being picked up.

Rogue streamer

Web_radar.gif

This beast of a snow shower is now over Kildare and East Offaly! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Falling as sleet here and sky looks full of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Rogue streamer

Web_radar.gif

This beast of a snow shower is now over Kildare and East Offaly! :eek:

Dumping down on us here, just a quick grab photo with my phone.

5278715160_f5e067e30c_z.jpg
    IMAG0109 by cilldara, on Flickr

• Advertisement

Falling as sleet here and sky looks full of it

That's interesting. Malin Head did report rain earlier today which I found hard to believe but now it makes a bit more sense.

Edit, still very light snowfall at the moment, temp -4.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Big fat wet flakes here now...falling heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Took me 3 1/2 hours to drive from Dublin City to Bettystown tonight, encountering heavy snowfall on the way and atrocious conditions on the motorway and the secondary roads, just glad to be home. Currently clear, calm and -4 degrees with deep lying snow.

Big fat wet flakes here now...falling heavy

Any idea what the temperature is with you? Is the wet snow "sticking"?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Nothing here and looks like we will miss out, temp dropping too but can't complain as its been an awesome winter thus far.

Current data for
    20 December 2010 23:00:39

Temperature (°C):
    Current -7.8
    Trend (per hour) +0.1
    Average today -7.8
    Wind chill -7.8
    Heat Index -7.8
    Dew Point -9.6
    Rel Humidity 87%

Pressure (mb):
    Current 1005.0
    Trend (per hour) 0.0

As I said earlier the ME radar doesnt show precipitation in Donegal for some reason, Malin Head is reporting rain and clearly theres some in Falcaragh yet the radar is blank

Temp here risen to -3.8c, more cloud cover and more snow falling, small flakes though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Frrresezing fog currently minus 3 outside

As I said earlier the ME radar doesnt show precipitation in Donegal for some reason, Malin Head is reporting rain and clearly theres some in Falcaragh yet the radar is blank

Really surprised you not seeing snow yet, can't be far away as higher density now showing over Letterkenny...

Edit: we've had light snow for quite a while now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing lightly here :)

Advertisement