Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - December 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry clear day in Castlebar today,bitterly cold.A little more cloudy this evening.-5 atm.Light NE'LY.1017.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Getting there........

-15.9 ºC at 21:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Current data
    22 December 2010 21:59:02

Temperature (°C):
    Current -13.1
    Trend (per hour) -0.5
    Average today -10.9
    Wind chill -13.1
    Heat Index -13.1
    Dew Point -15.2
    Rel Humidity 84%

Pressure (mb):
    Current 1017.8
    Trend (per hour) +0.4

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

-9.0c, clear

Car was showing -11c, but that would be to close to the ground for a proper measurement would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

-16.5 in convoy/raphoe a while ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

-3 in Wexford but feels a lot colder. It's a lovely clear night with a huge moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

-16C in Kilygordan now as well, Foxford's record could be beaten tonight by the looks of it

It definitely feels like the coldest day yet, even with a heavy coat the cold just seeps through to your body as soon as you step outside

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

-7c

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

Biglad wrote: »
    -9.0c, clear

Car was showing -11c, but that would be to close to the ground for a proper measurement would it?

i just drove past killygordon nra station and the van was reading - 16 same as nra website report. so it cant be to far off

ccoyle wrote: »
    i just drove past killygordon nra station and the van was reading - 16 same as nra website report. so it cant be to far off

Aye but road temperature are obviously down low and normal air temperatures are measured at a set hight afaik...help anybody?

• Advertisement

Biglad wrote: »
    -9.0c, clear

Its a rough guide I think really, sometimes its inaccurate as DeepEast told me the heat gets trapped in the bumper a lot too and with the tarmac it can read inaccurately sometimes.
    Also if you just start the car the tempertures are not accurate it has to be moving for a while, the last day when I started it it said 14c because the sun was shining and it wasnt moving so it wasnt getting any air exposure. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Castlederg record?

10pm: -16.1 °C
    - 0 mph
    - 1017 hPa, Rising

O dear! At 2300 still -16.1 but it has become cloudy:mad:

Pangea wrote: »
    Its a rough guide I think really, sometimes its inaccurate as DeepEast told me the heat gets trapped in the bumper a lot too and with the tarmac it can read inaccurately sometimes.
    Also if you just start the car the tempertures are not accurate it has to be moving for a while, the last day when I started it it said 14c because the sun was shining and it wasnt moving so it wasnt getting any air exposure. :)

That's all true about these car temperatures, Afaik official air temperatures in these little huts are taken at a certain height i.e. 1.6 meters or something sure somebody on here will know more about that, hmmm, wonder what my friend Mr. Google has to say about this...

Wiki;

Meteorological observatories measure the temperature and humidity of the air near the surface of the Earth usually using thermometers placed in a Stevenson screen, a standardized well-ventilated white-pained instrument shelter. The thermometers should be positioned 1.25–2 m above the ground. Details of this setup are defined by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).

My two outdoor sensors are mounted at about 1.4m above ground.

1.2m is the offical height used by met eireanns thermometers.
    NRA has air tempertures and ground tempertures on their site , Im sure they are pretty accurate.
    I have mine just between 1.2 and 1.25m :)

-9.5c now, think we might break personal best for this spell which is at -10.0...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

-8.6C in Galway city

Kilygordan back up to -14.4C, guessing it must have clouded over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

-10.8c at the mo.
    Pangea wrote:
    NRA has air tempertures and ground tempertures on their site , Im sure they are pretty accurate.
    I have mine just between 1.2 and 1.25m

That is the more or less the right height for measuring temps/humidity.

I don't think the NRA station up the road from here has its thermo at set at this height though; it seem more like it is somewhere between 4m and 6m. Although I have only driven by it. Must stop an take a closer look the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Harps wrote: »
    Kilygordan back up to -14.4C, guessing it must have clouded over

Short while later, now -15.3°C :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

-11c here in Kilkenny! :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Just finished my late shift and its snowing in Tallaght :):) light but heavy now I have to get home quick

-16.1C Kilygordan, 1.2 degrees from a new record

Edit: -16.3C!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Fairly mild night here, -11.6c currently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Castlederg record?

At 0600:
    - 17.9 °C
    - 0 mph
    - 1020 hPa, Rising

Recovered from that midnight blip - but is there enough time??? :confused:

At 0700: -18.0°C

That equals the record I think! Can it nudge down a bit in the remaining hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

-6.5°C ↑ slowly
    1018.4hPa ↑ slowly
    Wind Frozen
    Sky mostly clear. No Precipitation, none expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

-15C Lifford

-10.5c, new PB for me for 2010/2011 winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

-8 new PB for me in Limerick this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

-18.6 ºC at Castlederg at 09:00. A new Northern Ireland record (the current one was only set on Monday morning!) and also very near the record for the island (-19.1 ºC).

Advertisement