Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - December 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Temp -0.4c, about 12 flakes of snow today in Waterford City :( I think we have retained our title as the least snowiest place in the country.

Live Data and No Snow Cam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com
    I thought Waterford got hammered in the last event..is there anywhere that has got absolutely no snow in either event?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

-8.6c

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Wrong thread but I wanted to answer the earlier question here about the front visible on satellite imagery. This is not the main frontal system expected for the 26th. That is still much further west in the Atlantic. What you're seeing is an arctic warm front that will edge in very slowly while high pressure builds over Ireland tomorrow. The main frontal system will push in behind this and then the arctic warm front will be squeezed in between the cold, dry air and the mild, moist air. This is the basis for the forecasts for snow or sleet on the 26th, so in a way, yes that is the weather of concern, but not entirely "formed" yet.

BTW, off topic also but my weather is rain, strong wind and 8 C.

Mt, in the forecast thread, you;ve suggeted that flooding is a possibility. We're in Meath, about 15 Kms from the sea, and about 100 Mtrs elevation. What's your feeling about the speed of the thaw here, in that we've probably 10 - 15 Cms lying.

Reason for the concern is that we're at risk from a relatively small stream, if the flow rate gets too high, so if we're going to get hammered with rain, and ME are suggesting we might, I need to be taking precautions to prevent the possibility of a repeat performance of 2002, which did over 100K Euro's of damage here, and forced us into rented accomodation for 6 months while here was repaired.

Appreciate it's hard to be too specific, but at this point, I'm more inclined to trust your forecasts than I am to trust ME, they've been badly wrong so many times recently, and your track record is looking a lot better :D

Thanks

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

D14, really chucking it down here now. Jesus its not gonna be fun if this keeps up. In a way its good in that its the holidays for most people, but if this is gonna be a yearly event, the authorities and all of us will have to be better prepared.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

-6.9c

What snow depth is their now in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pangea wrote: »
    No matter as long as the road out of it is clear :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 glasto

Temp -0.4c, about 12 flakes of snow today in Waterford City :( I think we have retained our title as the least snowiest place in the country.

Live Data and No Snow Cam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

Nope. that title goes to Cork City.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Current data for
    23 December 2010 20:39:49

Temperature (°C):
    Current -12.4
    Trend (per hour) -0.1
    Average today -11.5
    Wind chill -12.4
    Heat Index -12.4
    Dew Point -14.8
    Rel Humidity 82%

Pressure (mb):
    Current 1024.2
    Trend (per hour) +0.3

-9.3, feel another pb coming up :D

Hope MT's latest forecast works out and that the thaw stays away from Us for a while yet, I like the white stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

-7.3C and falling in Galway City

• Advertisement

-10.1c, getting there...

-17.2°C now in Killygordan , :eek: about to give foxford a good kick up the kyphber! :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

Can anyone tell me the temp in Athlone? The in laws made it there after a tortuous journey from the boat and have had no heating since they arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

cabot wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the temp in Athlone? The in laws made it there after a tortuous journey from the boat and have had no heating since they arrived.

http://dolanbaker.info/weather/index.htm

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

-12.2C Brrrr...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

Thanks that is horrendous for a disabled man (stroke). They have a woodburner at least but obviously only in one room.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

-17 in Ballybofey..

Current data
    24 December 2010 00:42:34

Temperature (°C):
    Current -14.4
    Trend (per hour) -0.7
    Average today -13.8
    Wind chill -14.4
    Heat Index -14.4
    Dew Point -17.0
    Rel Humidity 80%

Pressure (mb):
    Current 1024.8
    Trend (per hour) +0.1

-10.5c

Edit; make that -10.7c, new PB for here, expecting to see -11c soon...from my pillow

• Advertisement

cabot wrote: »

Stupid question but why not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

-3.2c in Waterford City, clear dry calm, bring on the winds and rain ;)

More Live Data and Webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

Current data
    24 December 2010 01:17:28

Temperature (°C):
    Current -15.4 (getting close to my record of -15.6 set yesterday :) )
    Trend (per hour) -0.8
    Average today -14.3
    Wind chill -15.4
    Heat Index -15.4
    Dew Point -18.1
    Rel Humidity 79%

Pressure (mb):
    Current 1025.1
    Trend (per hour) +0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

-4.0c here in Thurles.
    Current Weather conditions : clear sky, no breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Killygordon is -17.8c at 02:50. Is that the record for this spell, barring Castlederg?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

Consistently below -15 nightly in Donegal yet it seems we are not to be included in national weather forecasts??? why??? Amount of snow that fell ...record breaking for the area....temp...record breaking for the country......longevity...amazing as far back as I can remember ( 30 yrs) ....when will we be recognised for the weather we've gone through in the past few weeks???? Especially our older folk..... Dublin has had a rough time yes but so has Donegal and no one hears the half of it....Most annoying!!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Pangea wrote: »
    -6.9c

It was 27cm here in salubrious Sandyford when the snow stopped at about 5pm (added over 5cm to cleared car-tops but only half that to the existing snow cover - that compaction thingy I guess). We missed all that heavy snow that fell over the north, centre and west of the city last night - those streamers can go on for hours and dump 10cm in one location while leaving areas either side of them clear. For nearly six hours it snowed 5km north of here while all we got was flurries.

It's -10C here now, calm and clear.

Woolly jumper award

It seems the all-time Irish record is still Markee Castle at -19.1C; now in second place is Castlederg at -18.6C from last night.

Watching Castlederg, latest report:

0400 -16.8 °C
    - 0 mph
    - 1025 hPa, Rising

Alas! It has become a bit foggy which could hinder a further drop.

(ps - where are you folk getting those Killygordon figures from?)

Sheba891 wrote: »
    Consistently below -15 nightly in Donegal yet it seems we are not to be included in national weather forecasts??? why??? Amount of snow that fell ...record breaking for the area....temp...record breaking for the country......longevity...amazing as far back as I can remember ( 30 yrs) ....when will we be recognised for the weather we've gone through in the past few weeks???? Especially our older folk..... Dublin has had a rough time yes but so has Donegal and no one hears the half of it....Most annoying!!! :mad:

Well, anyone reading this thread would certainly be well up on the Donegal situation! :cool:

But there is something ye non-Dubs must appreciate; this is a D4 meeja thingy. Frankly, it could snow in Tallaght (pop same as Donegal) for a month and it wouldn't get a mention if a flake didn't also fall on the route from Blackrock to Donnybrook; especially on Donnybrook.

I have this worked out scientifically; take a map of Dublin - get a pen. Next, start drawing a line at the East-link bridge. Head inland a few blocks north of the river (very few) as far as Heuston Station, cross the river and head back, tight to the river till you reach Christchurch and move south to take in Temple Bar and Dublin 2. Now go south along the N11 as far as Foxrock and head back east being sure to include Dalkey and Killiney before hitting the coast at Killiney DART station, complete the loop be joining the station back to the East-link through Dublin Bay.

Next draw a very small circle around Dublin Airport.

Now here is how we decide if a severe snow event becomes the national agenda: if snow falls inside these two areas it is a National Crisis. If it doesn't snow inside these areas then it's a parochial weather event - not worthy of serious news coverage and comment.

And don't get too much of a chip on the rustic shoulder about it - the 800,000 Dubs living outside that line are no more important than you are! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Woolly jumper award

It seems the all-time Irish record is still Markee Castle at -19.1C; now in second place is Castlederg at -18.6C from last night.

Watching Castlederg, latest report:

0400 -16.8 °C
    - 0 mph
    - 1025 hPa, Rising

Alas! It has become a bit foggy which could hinder a further drop.

(ps - where are you folk getting those Killygordon figures from?)

The NRA site:

NRA Traffic Road Weather

-17.2 now, it was -18.1 earlier. Might be the coldest in the Republic in this spell.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement