Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want it gone

Options
  • 01-12-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Im sick of the disruption the snow is causing, whats the forcast like for friday. any sign of a turn in the weather by then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Im sick of the disruption the snow is causing, whats the forcast like for friday. any sign of a turn in the weather by then?

731 in weather forum and you are pretty much the only one - hence the only this post in thread...could get lonely in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Throws a snowball at OP !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Well not totally alone. It is stopping me from submitting my PhD so it is a personal huge deal but then again it is the weather...so what can be done? I really wish we would learn how to deal with it though...I mean it happens each year so we should have this all sorted in a day or two. If it does not clear up on Friday it will cost me a huge sum of money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Interesting name OP!

Do you come from the Isle of Man by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

scopper wrote: »
    I really wish we would learn how to deal with it though...I mean it happens each year so we should have this all sorted in a day or two.

No it doesn't.
    I feel your pain, but its literally happened twice in donkeys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Well its not preventing me from going to work but it could prevent me from going home to cork from waterford at the weekend so thats my reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

d'Oracle wrote: »
    No it doesn't.
    I feel your pain, but its literally happened twice in donkeys.

3 years in a row now. And with low solar output in the last few years, it could happen alot more in future.

3 years in a row now. And with low solar output in the last few years, it could happen alot more in future.

3?
    Did I miss a year?

Although I will say this, its taken at least a day longer for people to start blaming government organisations for the weather this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

scopper wrote: »
    Well not totally alone. It is stopping me from submitting my PhD so it is a personal huge deal but then again it is the weather...so what can be done? I really wish we would learn how to deal with it though...I mean it happens each year so we should have this all sorted in a day or two. If it does not clear up on Friday it will cost me a huge sum of money :(

:P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

And with low solar output in the last few years, it could happen alot more in future.

I certainly hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'm with you OP - goes off to buy secondhand german snow tyres

3?
    Did I miss a year?

Although I will say this, its taken at least a day longer for people to start blaming government organisations for the weather this year.

3 winter seasons recently in the east. Feb 2009, Jan 2010 & November 2010

I wouldnt be surprised if it happens every year for the next few years. Time to get winter tyres and lots of grit, we will be fine then. Lots of countries deal with it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

with the OP on this.

Those who wish more snow maybe need to...

We are breaking our hearts here as a major fundraiser is now under threat because of the weather; and that will literally cost lives now.

We need to get to Cobh on Sunday and with our wee car on these roads..

Almost in tears here and surrounded with the work done over many weeks of late nights ready.

Snow is fine IF it does not destroy but some seem to live in a vacuum about it. Which is very sad for them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

731 in weather forum and you are pretty much the only one - hence the only this post in thread...could get lonely in here!

Not so; just that we get fed up of being sniped at for saying this. Juvenile comments like "Throw a snowball" .. REALLY!

Many are saying the same as the mayhem goes on

3 winter seasons recently in the east. Feb 2009, Jan 2010 & November 2010

I wouldnt be surprised if it happens every year for the next few years. Time to get winter tyres and lots of grit, we will be fine then. Lots of countries deal with it every year.

Ah here, Feb 2009 was a day or two of snow.
    The roads got a bit bad but it hardly counts like this and Jan 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭whysomoody

Anyone know when it's presumed to abate somewhat?

whysomoody wrote: »
    Anyone know when it's presumed to abate somewhat?

Weekend as far as I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I find the weather wonks fascinating.

The logical disconnect that allows people to clap their hands with glee at the prospect of temperatures plummetting to the point where people are being found dead of hypothermia is to me quite bizarre.

I can't wait for this spell of weather to end, and nor can any normal thinking person. Sometimes I think people's interest in things like the weather blinds them to the actual consequences of what they wish for.

The logical disconnect that allows people to clap their hands with glee at the prospect of temperatures plummetting to the point where people are being found dead of hypothermia is to me quite bizarre.

I can't wait for this spell of weather to end, and nor can any normal thinking person. Sometimes I think people's interest in things like the weather blinds them to the actual consequences of what they wish for.

I think you will find that a great many people here aren't "weather wonks" as you so disparagingly put it.

A lot of people are all right with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

Very well said!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,583 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The fact of someone 'wanting' or 'not wanting' the weather to do whatever isn't actually going to make any difference to what the weather does, so why does it matter?

At the same time I'm getting a bit fed up with it myself. There is a kind of morbid fascination with looking out to see is it still snowing though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I suppose I shouldn't relish the prospect of a heatwave because some people will get sunstroke or Skin Melanoma, hey maybe I shouldn't relish the prospect of a cooling breeze on that Summers day either because someone is going to get an asthma attack brought on by the spike in the pollen count and their hay fever..... or I shouldn't relish the prospect of a beautiful breezy Autumn day because someone might be hit by a falling branch....or I shouldn't look up in wonder and awe at a lighning storm because someone might have been hit by the lightning......

Think about what you are saying.

Calibos wrote: »
    I suppose I shouldn't relish the prospect of a heatwave because some people will get sunstroke or Skin Melanoma, hey maybe I shouldn't relish the prospect of a cooling breeze on that Summers day either because someone is going to get an asthma attack brought on by the spike in the pollen count and their hay fever..... or I shouldn't relish the prospect of a beautiful breezy Autumn day because someone might be hit by a falling branch....or I shouldn't look up in wonder and awe at a lighning storm because someone might have been hit by the lightning......

Think about what you are saying.

Yes, that's exactly the sort of logical disconnect I was talking about - one that equates the unlikely prospect of someone being hit by a branch on an Autumn day with temperatures that are killing people by hypothermia, closing schools and workplaces, and making roads impassable and dangerous.

Ah here, Feb 2009 was a day or two of snow.
    The roads got a bit bad but it hardly counts like this and Jan 2010.

Thats true that it didnt last too long at low altitude. The reason i remember it was because the snow stayed in the wicklow mountains for 3 weeks after it which was unusual at the time.

looksee wrote: »
    The fact of someone 'wanting' or 'not wanting' the weather to do whatever isn't actually going to make any difference to what the weather does, so why does it matter?

I'm highlighting their inhuman disregard for human suffering and death, which they ignore because OMG!!! The isobar chart is off the wall!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

People in this forum have an interest in weather. Nobody here wants anybody to get hurt or die in this weather.
    I hope "normal thinking people" understand that.

Thats true that it didnt last too long at low altitude. The reason i remember it was because the snow stayed in the wicklow mountains for 3 weeks after it which was unusual at the time.

I could see it from my old office....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

7c for the weekend.Can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

I'm highlighting their inhuman disregard for human suffering and death, which they ignore because OMG!!! The isobar chart is off the wall!!!

I really hope you're not serious.

• Advertisement

I really hope you're not serious.

Why wouldn't I be serious? Just look at the post before yours for proof of what I'm saying.

Advertisement