Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want it gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Im sick of the disruption the snow is causing, whats the forcast like for friday. any sign of a turn in the weather by then?
    forecast: -12. It's Global warming, they say:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

InHuman b@stard that Dean Martin!! and as for that maniac Bing Crosby with his dreaming of a White Christmas!! :rolleyes:
    Oh the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we've no place to go
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

It doesn't show signs of stopping
    And I've bought some corn for popping
    The lights are turned way down low

When we finally kissgoodnight
    How I'll hate going out in the storm!
    But if you'll really hold me tight
    All the way home I'll be warm

The fire is slowly dying
    And, my dear, we're still goodbying
    But as long as you love me so

By your rationale, every time I buy a pair of socks I should spare a thought for the 100's of people who die in the UK and a few in Ireland too every single year while putting on their socks in the morning and tripping and dying from head injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Why wouldn't I be serious? Just look at the post before yours for proof of what I'm saying.

Show me the post where someone says they are happy that people are dying. In fact show me evidence that people are dying as a direct result of the weather over the past few days. You are trolling, and it's not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ArcadeFred

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Ah here, Feb 2009 was a day or two of snow.
    The roads got a bit bad but it hardly counts like this and Jan 2010.

:eek:Tell that to the people, like myself, who were stuck on buses on the N4 for four hours the day the roads got a bit bad!

Feb 2009 shall stay with me as long as I shall live!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Show me the post where someone says they are happy that people are dying. In fact show me evidence that people are dying as a direct result of the weather over the past few days. You are trolling, and it's not funny

Reported for personal abuse.

Anyone saying they 'can't wait' to see temperatures of -12, such as we've seen on this very thread, does so knowing that such temperatures invariably lead to loss of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Anyone saying they 'can't wait' to see temperatures of -12, such as we've seen on this very thread, does so knowing that such temperatures invariably lead to loss of life.

Reported for personal abuse!!?? Where did he abuse you??

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

ArcadeFred wrote: »
    :eek:Tell that to the people, like myself, who were stuck on buses on the N4 for four hours the day the roads got a bit bad!

And the 4 hour trip from Citywest to Naas on the N7 because it hadn't been treated and caused a lorry to jacknife at Rathcoole.

Im with the OP. I want it gone because despite the spin from Government they arent prepared and never will be. This weather causes untold suffering to commuters, businesses and people at risk. And I don't think Cavehill Red is trolling because I too find it somewhat alarming how some people wish weather armageddon on the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

lads, cop on and grow up ffs.

Some of you love the snowy weather because it's a break from the norm.
    Some of you hate the snowy weather because it's a break from the norm.

Both points of view are perfectly acceptable, will ye please stop throwing hissy fits just because someone else doesn't feel the same way you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I do find it very strange and frankly a bit weird that people sit up till 4 and 5 in the morning while they have work or college etc the next day staring at 15 minute updates on met.ie or raintoday. And some of these people are grown ass men (and women). I lived in tornado alley for a while and then lived close to Canada. And while i do love to see a good storm or snowfall i would never be sitting up refreshing a forum or site to see what has happened in the last few minutes. Whatever about liking it when it happens but some people have hopped over the border seperating interest and obsession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Don't abuse the report post fuction, it reduces the liklihhood of actual personal abuse from being noticed. That was clearly not personal abuse.

• Advertisement

Don't abuse the report post fuction, it reduces the liklihhood of actual personal abuse from being noticed. That was clearly not personal abuse.

Lets leave that to the mods to decide, tony, thanks. And with that, the sideshow is over - would be great if people could stick to the topic from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Treehere

I do find it very strange and frankly a bit weird that people sit up till 4 and 5 in the morning while they have work or college etc the next day staring at 15 minute updates on met.ie or raintoday. And some of these people are grown ass men (and women). I lived in tornado alley for a while and then lived close to Canada. And while i do love to see a good storm or snowfall i would never be sitting up refreshing a forum or site to see what has happened in the last few minutes. Whatever about liking it when it happens but some people have hopped over the border seperating interest and obsession.

Because it's interesting I guess. For everyone who is around the 20 year age like me, snow is really exciting. We got a period of no snow for like, 10 years and then suddenly this. I love it personally. For me, it's the change of pace. I hate things staying the same. Especially when you live in a country where the forecast for most of the year round is overcast grey, probably a sprinkling of rain.

If you have an issue with it however, don't sit here and whine about it. Get out, help any of the elderly that need helping. Clear your pathways.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

There was no personal abuse in that post. You are, in fact, trolling. You're on a weather forum, slating people for talking about the weather.

By any ethical standards whatsoever, right down to something as simple as "Do no harm", these statements are perfectly fine. They have no effect. No amount of wanting to see -12C will cause it. Equally, no number of posts saying "I hope it doesn't get to -12 because..." will prevent it.

Further, I think you'll find that you're annoying people with these posts of yours - you're certainly annoying me - while doing no good, and therefore, in your own little way, doing more harm than not.

So please, quit with that nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

looksee wrote: »
    The fact of someone 'wanting' or 'not wanting' the weather to do whatever isn't actually going to make any difference to what the weather does, so why does it matter?

At the same time I'm getting a bit fed up with it myself. There is a kind of morbid fascination with looking out to see is it still snowing though:D

^^This!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

ArcadeFred wrote: »

Ok so.
    I just told that to myself.
    My response was to tell myself that I knew that.

On the ONE DAY the roads got a bit bad. However, getting back to the context in which I was talking about, it was nothing even close to this or Jan 2010. Not even the same ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

gothwalk wrote: »
    There was no personal abuse in that post. You are, in fact, trolling. You're on a weather forum, slating people for talking about the weather.

Calling someone a troll because you disagree with them is personal abuse. You're guilty of it too.
    I'm not slating anyone for talking about the weather. Here I am, talking about it too. I'm expressing concern over the rationality of people who WELCOME such weather as we are currently having, and who express joy about it, given that it comes with a guaranteed death toll attached.
    By any ethical standards whatsoever, right down to something as simple as "Do no harm", these statements are perfectly fine. They have no effect. No amount of wanting to see -12C will cause it. Equally, no number of posts saying "I hope it doesn't get to -12 because..." will prevent it.

I'm not suggesting they're causing the weather! :eek:
    I'm suggesting they're behaving in an inhuman fashion when they express such glee at it arriving.
    Further, I think you'll find that you're annoying people with these posts of yours - you're certainly annoying me - while doing no good, and therefore, in your own little way, doing more harm than not.

Well boo-hoo. I can tell you that people expressing delight at the arrival of weather which is causing death and misery is annoying me too.
    So please, quit with that nonsense.

Likewise, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I will admit, I am utterly split on this. I love the snow but I want it gone too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Treehere wrote: »
    If you have an issue with it however, don't sit here and whine about it. Get out, help any of the elderly that need helping. Clear your pathways.

Could say the same thing about people on here all day (and night) who don't have an issue with it. Don't just sit there and post about it. Get out, help any of the elderly that need helping. Clear your pathways.

Besides i'm not in Ireland but having grown up with natural disasters i'm well aware of a sense of community when it comes to adverse weather. I get why people like snow or storms. But what i don't get is the obsession from not just one or two random people. But a huge group. If it's an event that's going to happen. Surely refreshing forums and charts ain't gonna make a difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'd prefere it to snow non stop rather than snowing a few inches like it has and then just freezing ontop of it making it a giant Ice rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,583 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Calling someone a troll because you disagree with them is personal abuse. You're guilty of it too.
    I'm not slating anyone for talking about the weather. Here I am, talking about it too. I'm expressing concern over the rationality of people who WELCOME such weather as we are currently having, and who express joy about it, given that it comes with a guaranteed death toll attached.

I'm not suggesting they're causing the weather! :eek:
    I'm suggesting they're behaving in an inhuman fashion when they express such glee at it arriving.

Well boo-hoo. I can tell you that people expressing delight at the arrival of weather which is causing death and misery is annoying me too.

Likewise, I'm sure.

Oh, for heavens sake! I actually have a bit of sympathy for your point of view, but if you want to be outraged about something go and be outraged about people playing kill-em games or making brainless comments on AH.

You don't have to be on this thread looking for offence. I happen to agree that there is something a bit weird about people bemoning the fact that there isn't enough snow in any particular place, but much of it is tongue in cheek and is a bit of harmless enjoyment over an unusual weather situation.

They are not saying anything that indicates they wish harm to anyone. You might as well say that if people hope that the summer is long and hot (some hope) they are wishing sunburn on people.

I will be glad to see the back of it, but if I am offended by this thread I don't have to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

731 in weather forum and you are pretty much the only one - hence the only this post in thread...could get lonely in here!

Ok I'm now retracting my original flippant remark. It seems there are quite a few of you who hate the snow and on reflection this thread would be the best place to voice your opinion - so kudos to the OP for starting. Over in the other forums the majority of us are snow lovers and like a bit of drama in our weather. It is of course completely ok to think otherwise. Usually the weather forums are a placid homely domain for us sneachtaphiles to dwell, but obviously with the high volume of traffic differing opinions will of course emerge. The crazy thing is, love it or hate it, it's gonna do what it's gonna do and there's chuff all we can do about it. We just gotta cope!

There was no personal abuse in that post. You are, in fact, trolling. You're on a weather forum, slating people for talking about the weather

I thought I made it clear that the discussion was over. Obviously not. Let's try it this way: I will ban the next person who takes the thread off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Until this country learns to deal with snow I hate this weather. In the northeast US we are used to way way more snow than this and the place doesnt come to a standstill. The civic workers get up extra early to grit roads. Everyone makes an effort to clear their own paths. And life can continue. HEre, especially in rural areas it is a disaster. Last year, ambulences couldnt get to people and the oil truck couldnt get to people on my estate. IF there was a fire neither would the firetruck. The co council did nothing to help anyone on a private estate. Myself and a neighbor went out with salt that we purchased and ash from the fireplace and shovels and broke up the ice rink that was the road out of the estate ourselves.

We did this for safety reasons because this is very very dangerous. People die in low temperatures, look at DUblin now.. you think ambulences could get through that traffic? Fire trucks? Or people who live on hills who have run out of oil during a cold spell.

Its not the snow and the temperatures that are the issue, its this country's incompetance to deal with anything and the private citizens' passivity.

And yes I want it gone too. Im sick of it. Its costing me a bomb in heating and Im taking my life in my hands everytime I leave the house.

In the northeast US we are used to way way more snow than this and the place doesnt come to a standstill. The civic workers get up extra early to grit roads. Everyone makes an effort to clear their own paths. And life can continue.

You kinda answered your own question there - I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment, however until these snow events become a regular occurence we are not going to evolve to match the conditions. The main roads are gritted - by council operatives who have probably already done a day's work elsewhere - you simply cannot grit every street. What more can we do without spending millions of taxpayers money on snow ploughs that may only get used twice a year. People are reluctant to clear their paths for fear of being sued. Snow tyres are an expense that most households cannot accomodate for an isolated weather event. We will eventually adapt if the current conditions become a regular event but it won't happen overnight. It will all have melted away by next week and normal service will resume...till the next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I absolutely love snow, however I hate the disruption and extra work it causes...

We live on a mountain so getting out and about on the roads is a major challenge as the roads never see grit. At the moment we have the snow that fell on Monday compacted and frozen over so it's lethal.

I've animals to see to - taking a snow-day and staying in by the fire aint an option - I have to tog up regardless and go out and break the ice on water buckets and provide extra feed.
    Can't get the horses out and ridden as the roads are too slippery and I don't want accidents.

BUT - the kid in me wants to climb the hill with a plastic sack and sledge in it !!! Probably break a hip at my age :D

You kinda answered your own question there - I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment, however until these snow events become a regular occurence we are not going to evolve to match the conditions. The main roads are gritted - by council operatives who have probably already done a day's work elsewhere - you simply cannot grit every street. What more can we do without spending millions of taxpayers money on snow ploughs that may only get used twice a year. People are reluctant to clear their paths for fear of being sued. Snow tyres are an expense that most households cannot accomodate for an isolated weather event. We will eventually adapt if the current conditions become a regular event but it won't happen overnight. It will all have melted away by next week and normal service will resume...till the next time!

Sorry, on Thursday morning my towns main street was an ice rink. You know what time the county council got around to it? 10 AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus Christ.

Sorry, on Thursday morning my towns main street was an ice rink. You know what time the county council got around to it? 10 AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus Christ.

You can't grit every street at 4am...it's a logistical impossibility - looks like you were last/first on the route. And no need to blaspheme, it's not his fault - blame Cowen instead, it's ALL his fault :)

You can't grit every street at 4am...it's a logistical impossibility - looks like you were last/first on the route. And no need to blaspheme, it's not his fault - blame Cowen instead, it's ALL his fault :)

For the anti blasphemy laws? :rolleyes:

For the anti blasphemy laws? :rolleyes:

He's a sitting duck right now - we could pin anything on him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Calibos wrote: »
    I suppose I shouldn't relish the prospect of a heatwave because some people will get sunstroke or Skin Melanoma, hey maybe I shouldn't relish the prospect of a cooling breeze on that Summers day either because someone is going to get an asthma attack brought on by the spike in the pollen count and their hay fever..... or I shouldn't relish the prospect of a beautiful breezy Autumn day because someone might be hit by a falling branch....or I shouldn't look up in wonder and awe at a lighning storm because someone might have been hit by the lightning......

Think about what you are saying.

Here, Here! Now thats what I call a comeback. It's better to be a ''Weather Wonk'' than to be just a Wonk!!:cool:

Advertisement