Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logmein123.com - scam?

• 01-12-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭

I just got a call from people who were purporting to be able to fix any errors on my computer. They got me to check my event viewer and give a list of all the errors and warnings that appeared on it. To fix it they wanted me to enter in a 6 digit code into their website logmein123.com and would fix it for a nominal fee. I had googled this during the call and it appears to be all a scam!

Does anyone know what they do if they get access to people's computers? At the start they sounded semi-legitimate as they knew my name and home number but that's all the info they had on me. I hung up shortly after I was connected to their agent who fixes these problems!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Sounds legit to me. Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Logmein.com is a reputable company that provides free and professional software that enables you to acces your computers from any other computer on the internet.

One use of it is to provide support to people in remote locations but what you are doing is allowing a complete stranger full access to your computer so they could do whatever they liked with it.

LogmeinImNotAScammer123IsweartogodOMG is probably suspect.

Promac wrote: »
    Logmein.com is a reputable company that provides free and professional software that enables you to acces your computers from any other computer on the internet.

One use of it is to provide support to people in remote locations but what you are doing is allowing a complete stranger full access to your computer so they could do whatever they liked with it.

LogmeinImNotAScammer123IsweartogodOMG is probably suspect.
    buzzkill :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Logmein is not a scam. It's the guys on the phone ringing you that are the scammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Logmein123 is a valid site which allows a user remote access to your computer. I use it in work, but only ever for known suppliers after I have contacted them to report an error.

What happened you is a scam which is apparently doing the rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

this is a regular scam - by accessing the website (possibly a redirect to fake/copy website) and inputting the "code" you are giving them remote access to your computer.....and any files on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I can provide you with all the information that you need about this scam.
    The names of those involved, how long they have been operating, how many computers they have gained information from...
    There will even be a monetary reward if you can help me bring these unlawful scammers to justice.

Too long have these kind of operations prayed on the trusting and uneducated computer users out there.
    It's time that we put an end to it once and for all.

All I will need is for you to PM me your bank account details and sort code along with a good will transfer of €500 into an offshore account.
    A copy of your current birth cert, passport, driving licence, and pps number would also be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Wazdakka wrote: »
    All I will need is for you to PM me your bank account details and sort code along with a good will transfer of €500 into an offshore account.
    A copy of your current birth cert, passport, driving licence, and pps number would also be useful.

I gave it to some Nigerian bloke who asked me to mind some money for him unfortunately, but if I ever get it back you're next ;)

I never heard of this scam before, no harm in letting people know it is doing the rounds at the moment anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

the auld pair keep getting phone calls from some company telling them that their Windows software is corrupted(BS)
    my ma told them they didn't have a computer but they keep calling.

anyone know how to get removed from these lists? i assume it was sold on by eircom as these guys are ringing the parents landline number???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ciagr297 wrote: »
    the auld pair keep getting phone calls from some company telling them that their Windows software is corrupted(BS)
    my ma told them they didn't have a computer but they keep calling.

anyone know how to get removed from these lists? i assume it was sold on by eircom as these guys are ringing the parents landline number???

get on to comreg http://www.askcomreg.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

logmein.com is not a scam but could easily be used to gain unrestricted access to your computer.

Someone calls you out of the blue and says they can fix your computer, clean your chimney, wash your windows, give you money from Nigerian royalty? Scams. Lots of things sound legitimate until you find out they're scams. Calling you out of the blue, or even some things you see on television can later turn out to be complete scams.
    OisinT wrote: »
    buzzkill :o
    All the same, people with much less technical experience come on here frequently to ask for input and trust that people aren't going to dick them around, so maybe we shouldn't do that?

Overheal wrote: »
    logmein.com is not a scam but could easily be used to gain unrestricted access to your computer.

Someone calls you out of the blue and says they can fix your computer, clean your chimney, wash your windows, give you money from Nigerian royalty? Scams. Lots of things sound legitimate until you find out they're scams. Calling you out of the blue, or even some things you see on television can later turn out to be complete scams.

All the same, people with much less technical experience come on here frequently to ask for input and trust that people aren't going to dick them around, so maybe we shouldn't do that?
    This was originally in AH and my post was deserved if OP is stupid enough to post this thread in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OisinT wrote: »
    This was originally in AH and my post was deserved if OP is stupid enough to post this thread in AH.

Touche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

PCPhoto wrote:
    this is a regular scam - by accessing the website (possibly a redirect to fake/copy website) and inputting the "code" you are giving them remote access to your computer.....and any files on it.
    Ya thats what i was thinking also... (Somehow they can see the results from the CERTAIN CODE entered)

Advertisement