Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Population of Galway City

Options
  • 01-12-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I was just looking online to see what the estimate current population of Galway city is and it varies greatly from site to site. I've seen from as low as 52,941 to as high as 78,414.

I'm sure alot of people have emigrated in the last couple of years but surely not that many!

Anybody have any idea?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is a census next year. You'll have to wait!

It's guesstimated at 75,000 currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

snubbleste wrote: »
    There is a census next year. You'll have to wait!

It's guesstimated at 75,000 currently.

hmmm so population has actually increased since 2006. Interesting! Thanks

It also kind of works out from my fuzzy maths is that around 1 in 3 people in Galway city is currently signing on. Don't worry I'm not writing a paper. I just had a friend of mine talking about how when he was on the dole here it felt more acceptable, where as he's down in Cork now and it's less acceptable or so it seems to him

Wompa1 wrote: »

Well we don't know that, I've nothing to back it up.
    But if you consider all the new (populated)housing estates that have come onstream since the last census, it's a safe bet to say that the population has increased.
    And then there are all the students who live here 9 months a year.

My dad raised a good point that it's bound to increase because the boundaries have been expanded.

The students wouldn't get counted in the census for Galway or would they? Wouldn't it be from their family home?

It would be interesting to see all the figures.

I'd love to see how many students there are
    How many single mothers on benefits
    Disabled people on benefits
    state pensions
    medical cards

I remember last year the City Council coming out saying they were going broke. I wonder compared with other cities in the country do we have more of a relaxed approach to life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Queue the foreigners/non-irish people living in Galway saying, 'Galway isnt really a city, we have proper cities back home.'

• Advertisement

There are about 25,000 on the live register for Galway county in total, roughly half are in the city. (my numbers are a bit out of date)

My dad raised a good point that it's bound to increase because the boundaries have been expanded.

No they have not.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Queue the foreigners/non-irish people living in Galway saying, 'Galway isnt really a city, we have proper cities back home.'

I was born in New York....must resist urge...I believe Galway is a city because it has all the facilities to qualify as one. Hospital, University, Cathedral etc.

Plus alot of people compare it to Bristol which I believe is a city...

No they have not.

You are right. Sorry, just looked it up myself. Shouldn't have taken his word for it. Also the first few uneployment articles I looked at said Galway but I found one that does say city and county so that's not nearly as bad as it seemed!!

I was born in New York....must resist urge...I believe Galway is a city because it has all the facilities to qualify as one. Hospital, University, Cathedral etc. Plus alot of people compare it to Bristol which I believe is a city...

Galway is twinned with:
    Aalborg, Bradford, Cambridge Ma, Chicago Il, Lorient, Milwaukee Wi, Moncton Nb, Qingdao, St. Louis Mo, Seattle Wa, Waitakere City

Almost all are bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

75-78k population is correct.

Galway is twinned with:
    Aalborg, Bradford, Cambridge Ma, Chicago Il, Lorient, Milwaukee Wi, Moncton Nb, Qingdao, St. Louis Mo, Seattle Wa, Waitakere City

Almost all are bigger.

All of those are cities though, so I'd bet to be considered it had to be a city? maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dreenman

jenno86 wrote: »

Queue the locals in Galway saying "Why dont you go back to your proper cities then"

dreenman wrote: »
    Queue the locals in Galway saying "Why dont you go back to your proper cities then"

Then there'll be a debate on the lack of eateries and retail outlets, followed by an epic dance-off and then we'll all shake hands; with the furriners going off to indulge in steamed bacon, potatoes and cauliflower and the natives going for a curry, tapas and dim sum.

Then there'll be a debate on the lack of eateries and retail outlets, followed by an epic dance-off and then we'll all shake hands; with the furriners going off to indulge in steamed bacon, potatoes and cauliflower and the natives going for a curry, tapas and dim sum.

Dang, It's been a while since we had a good old fashioned dance off

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

I just had a friend of mine talking about how when he was on the dole here it felt more acceptable, where as he's down in Cork now and it's less acceptable or so it seems to him

Your friend is right. I also have a friend who told me the same thing after having lived here for years. I guess it's not called "the graveyard of ambition" for nothing. :D

geekychick wrote: »
    Your friend is right. I also have a friend who told me the same thing after having lived here for years. I guess it's not called "the graveyard of ambition" for nothing. :D

I've heard that about Australia too. That young people in OZ have zero ambition and that's why Irish people get jobs so handy. So I guess Galway is little OZ...Salthill = Bondi Beach...Innis Oir=Frazer Island :P

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

"the graveyard of ambition" seems to get trotted out by those who have none anyway. Would seem to be an attempted excuse for their own failings rather than take personal responsibility.

ciotog wrote: »
    "the graveyard of ambition" seems to get trotted out by those who have none anyway. Would seem to be an attempted excuse for their own failings rather than take personal responsibility.

That is still no explanation as to why specifically Galway has been called that.

"graveyard of ambition"...what a load of sh1te! :rolleyes:

I've never, in my life, heard it referred to as that and I'm here 30 years.

Im guessing the only ones who refer to it as that are waster preppy college students who try to appear more intelligent than they are by talking utter twaddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

geekychick wrote: »
    That is still no explanation as to why specifically Galway has been called that.
    I've only heard the phrase a couple of times from Galwegians and laughingly from other blow-ins. The phrase itself originally was in reference to Swansea and seems to have been misappropriated for use as a complaint here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It also kind of works out from my fuzzy maths is that around 1 in 3 people in Galway city is currently signing on.

Those maths are extremely fuzzy. As bad as the recession has become I don't think there are 25,000 people signing on the dole in Galway city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ciotog wrote: »
    Would seem to be an attempted excuse for their own failings rather than take personal responsibility.

Then they join the greens and an taisce and take it out on everybody else. :(

"graveyard of ambition"...what a load of sh1te! :rolleyes:

I've never, in my life, heard it referred to as that and I'm here 30 years.

Im guessing the only ones who refer to it as that are waster preppy college students who try to appear more intelligent than they are by talking utter twaddle.

I'm here 10 years (a mere blow-in, so ;)) and have heard it several times, from different quarters, by now.

I only wish I'd ever moved amongst waster preppy college students! :D (no, not really)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Hail hail Google.

According to the Central Statistics Office website, the population of Galway city in 2006 was 72,414

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

Interestingly, a mere 52,539 reside in the city of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

The students wouldn't get counted in the census for Galway or would they? Wouldn't it be from their family home?
    You fill out the census for the house you are in on the night of the census, so the students will count if the census is during the term and they're all about and the like. I filled mine out in Centrepoint the last time around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Hail hail Google.

According to the Central Statistics Office website, the population of Galway city in 2006 was 72,414

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

Interestingly, a mere 52,539 reside in the city of Limerick.

True, but the footprint of Limerick city is much smaller than that of Galway's.
    IE the actual size of the city boundries.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway is twinned with:

Almost all are bigger.

The only one of those that I've been to is Waitakere, and I really struggle to see what on earth the partnership is based on. Like *what* do we have in common ... unless someone didn't realised that westie (over there) = knacker (over here).

Re the census, I've heard from lots of inner city residents that they didn't actually fill in a form last time, and that thanks to the rooftop apartments and security gates it's easy to escape the enumerators. This makes me cross: government funding/resources are often based on population numbers, so undercounting means that the city gets less resources.

And re the "graveyard of ambition" tag: I've heard it from various sources, both other blow-ins and some aul-sthock Galway people. I've heard a few explanations:

Lots of young musicians/artists with talent come here, and this is where they find out that they're not talented + hardworking enough to make it big time. So they bury their youthful ambitions, cut their hair, get a tie and a real job.

Some professionals come here to escape the rat-race: compared to London, Dublin etc the pace of life is a lot more relaxed (even with the current traffic). We (yes, I'm in this group) love the cultural opportunities. But there simply are less professional opportunities here, so a certain amount of burying, or perhaps transforming of ambitions, is part of the deal of staying.

And the West has a high rate of mental illness, so provides a lot of services, so attracts a lot of people from other places, who have health or substance-abuse problems. Sometimes the ambitions that are buried are those of parents and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Is a fairly tough question to answer OP,CSO stats dont tell the whole story, while the city itself has roughly 75-80k the commuter belt is huge for a city its size. Tuam, Athenry, the 'wesht' maybe even Loughrea and Gort could be concidered within the area of influence. Take a quick spin on any of the citys carparks approach roads and youll see that the city council havent bothered their arse to factor this into their planning! :mad:

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    The only one of those that I've been to is Waitakere, and I really struggle to see what on earth the partnership is based on. Like *what* do we have in common ... unless someone didn't realised that westie (over there) = knacker (over here).

Re the census, I've heard from lots of inner city residents that they didn't actually fill in a form last time, and that thanks to the rooftop apartments and security gates it's easy to escape the enumerators. This makes me cross: government funding/resources are often based on population numbers, so undercounting means that the city gets less resources.

And re the "graveyard of ambition" tag: I've heard it from various sources, both other blow-ins and some aul-sthock Galway people. I've heard a few explanations:

Lots of young musicians/artists with talent come here, and this is where they find out that they're not talented + hardworking enough to make it big time. So they bury their youthful ambitions, cut their hair, get a tie and a real job.

Some professionals come here to escape the rat-race: compared to London, Dublin etc the pace of life is a lot more relaxed (even with the current traffic). We (yes, I'm in this group) love the cultural opportunities. But there simply are less professional opportunities here, so a certain amount of burying, or perhaps transforming of ambitions, is part of the deal of staying.

And the West has a high rate of mental illness, so provides a lot of services, so attracts a lot of people from other places, who have health or substance-abuse problems. Sometimes the ambitions that are buried are those of parents and family.

Alot of good points. I notice that in my work place too actually alot of people who lived and worked in Dublin and sounded like they excelled in their old jobs but then in the job they are in now most don't try and just do the bare minimum. Like they are content just staying where they are. But I suppose when you have kids it's difficult to excel too much knowing you can't move if needed.

Advertisement