Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is the weather affecting your business

Options
2»

Comments

kenmc wrote: »
    How else are they going to learn in the snow? This is one of the reasons we get "drivers" who can't drive in a tiny bit of white stuff. :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree. Everyone's first lesson should be on a block of ice. That'll learn 'em.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

How else are they going to learn in the snow? This is one of the reasons we get "drivers" who can't drive in a tiny bit of white stuff. :rolleyes:

Oh FFS, you want the guy to take untested learners out on to the public roads in these conditions? My god half the people with a bloody license can't handle the roads at the moment nevermind L platers. I'm sure his insurance company would have something to say about such business practice....I agree that people need training for snow/ice driving but it needs to be in controlled conditions, not on the public road.

Could people stop criticising others for not doing things in their businesses due to weather? Do you think small businesses want to be cutting income for the sake of a bit of snow? Like it or not, some companies can't physically perform their business due to snow/ice/cold, not matter how silly it seems to others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just a thought...

...but if businesses can't cope with 4-5 low trading days are they not on the way out anyway??

Also, are business doing anything to encourage shoppers to use public transport to get to them?

Take for example the blind man, if I wan't a blind now I will still want it next week so business will pick up again.

Hence my thinking that if a business cannot survive a few days on snow they are finished anyway, even without the snow

In fairness, I think this is a very harsh and very inaccurate assessment of the national situation. It's not that businesses are not able to survive a period of snow, it's that this spell has arrived after what has been an unbelievably depressed 18 odd month period of consumer sentiment. In addition to that, an awful lot of cash and liquidity has been deliberately taken out of the economy in the last year especially as per the last budget.

I've a few friends who work for themselves and they have been literally knocked for six after the last 18 months, getting hit by bad debts as their own customers go to the wall, then 30 days credit for remaining customers ultimately turning into 3-6 months credit, and this is not for the want of chasing up invoices and pleading every day for a cheque, the money just is not there, nobody has money.

So this has been the case for a lot of businesses, certainly the few that I have a particular insight into, before there was any snow. I can only imagine that things have become several degrees worse for most small businesses with the arrival of snow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just a thought...

...but if businesses can't cope with 4-5 low trading days are they not on the way out anyway??

Also, are business doing anything to encourage shoppers to use public transport to get to them?

Take for example the blind man, if I wan't a blind now I will still want it next week so business will pick up again.

Hence my thinking that if a business cannot survive a few days on snow they are finished anyway, even without the snow

Ah, more contenders for this year's 'Stupidest Post' award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

In fairness, I think this is a very harsh and very inaccurate assessment of the national situation. It's not that businesses are not able to survive a period of snow, it's that this spell has arrived after what has been an unbelievably depressed 18 odd month period of consumer sentiment. In addition to that, an awful lot of cash and liquidity has been deliberately taken out of the economy in the last year especially as per the last budget.

I've a few friends who work for themselves and they have been literally knocked for six after the last 18 months, getting hit by bad debts as their own customers go to the wall, then 30 days credit for remaining customers ultimately turning into 3-6 months credit, and this is not for the want of chasing up invoices and pleading every day for a cheque, the money just is not there, nobody has money.

So this has been the case for a lot of businesses, certainly the few that I have a particular insight into, before there was any snow. I can only imagine that things have become several degrees worse for most small businesses with the arrival of snow...

Here Here HellFireClub
    We all need to pull together, the sooner we do the quicker things will get back to normal. We should start supporting the small local businesses that have always kept the money flowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Running low on stock, orders to send out.

Replacement stock is ordered & paid for, but currently sitting in wholesalers....couriers aren't couriering.

Even if they can send it out tomorrow (apparently doubtful according to the van driver) I won't receive until Monday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still no post here (since last Friday!) and given that we had an extra 6 inches of snow here today, can't see the postman making it here tomorrow either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

My local supermarket has been packed as people aren't driving to bigger shopping centres to do their shopping.

Have a newsagents here in Bray. Above average takings on Sunday and Monday when we had 2 inches of lying snow here on the Seafront. The amount of Dog walkers and families heading for the novelty snow covered promenade and beach under the clear blue skies was great.

However with the progressive thaw which meant Tues, Wed and Thurs had no lying snow down here we found takings down 30% despite the fact we were even more accessible to all our locals and regulars. I have a feeling that with all the media reports of renewed Snowmageddon for us here which didn't materialise for this little 2kn strip of east coast and with the main roads in the town gritted and clear with the big supermarkets accessible, I think that people thought they should make hay while the sun shone so to speak and where overstocking their houses from the supermarkets, just in case which meant no trips down to our small shop to pick up some milk or butter or bread etc etc

A fresh dump of snow on Bray seafront would probably do our takings the world of good as it would prevent Tesco trips for a day or two and we'd get all the walkers in on their way to the seafront again.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Yet another nail in the coffin for small business owners in the country.

This may be going off point slightly but I'm truely puzzled at people who say for example have been made redundant from a job and then want to start their own business in Ireland.

Leave now, there's a better life abroad rather than struggling with a small business at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

fat__tony wrote: »
    Yet another nail in the coffin for small business owners in the country.

This may be going off point slightly but I'm truely puzzled at people who say for example have been made redundant from a job and then want to start their own business in Ireland.

Leave now, there's a better life abroad rather than struggling with a small business at home.

Some people want to contribute to the local economy. Every euro spent in Ireland helps. I spend my money here too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

Calibos wrote: »
    Have a newsagents here in Bray. Above average takings on Sunday and Monday when we had 2 inches of lying snow here on the Seafront. The amount of Dog walkers and families heading for the novelty snow covered promenade and beach under the clear blue skies was great.

However with the progressive thaw which meant Tues, Wed and Thurs had no lying snow down here we found takings down 30% despite the fact we were even more accessible to all our locals and regulars. I have a feeling that with all the media reports of renewed Snowmageddon for us here which didn't materialise for this little 2kn strip of east coast and with the main roads in the town gritted and clear with the big supermarkets accessible, I think that people thought they should make hay while the sun shone so to speak and where overstocking their houses from the supermarkets, just in case which meant no trips down to our small shop to pick up some milk or butter or bread etc etc

A fresh dump of snow on Bray seafront would probably do our takings the world of good as it would prevent Tesco trips for a day or two and we'd get all the walkers in on their way to the seafront again.

Thats horrible, you think "I'm finally getting a break" only to be knocked back down again.

This should be the busiest month of the year for most businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Confab wrote: »
    Ah, more contenders for this year's 'Stupidest Post' award.

Well argued!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

It's terrible.... Just terrible!.....The fecking Bathroom IS FREEZING!!......:rolleyes:

Advertisement