Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To create or not to create and where to host.

Options
  • 01-12-2010 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey,

I am looking into a new website setup.

However I am looking for thoughts on my thoughts!

1. Should I develop from scratch, using PHP and MySQL or some other technology of choice... I think PHP will be best for the requirements at this point however, so I would assume PHP and MySQL.

2. Or, should I re-use an existing technology. Bascially the site should have a user creation login process etc. And the idea that users can post to the site, videos, pictures and other pieces. Doing it myself, would give me the control I need, but that will take time to code. Maybe there is a product out there that I can use and customise to suit my needs??

Any suggestions on what software I can (re)use rather than creating it all myself, would be much appreciated.

Also, if I do go down the road of php/mysql, can anyone suggest hosting provider options? its my firsttime doing something like this.

:confused:

Cheers,
    Bob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

It would benefit you to learn a bit of PHP/MySQL regardless of the route you decide to go down.

Even so-called 'plug and play' systems, such as WordPress, often need you to get your hands dirty with code, in order to customize features or fix issues.

BTW, if you're learning PHP/MySQL you should probably start by practicing on your own computer rather than using a provider. Try XAMPP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BobsYerAuntie

cheers conorcan2, I have good PHP and MYSQL background, so I think I'll be going down that route alright, just really wanted to check to see if people had any experience with other plug and play type templates before I go and rewrite a wheel... using these are speedy but it takes away control which I'd prefer not to lose.

Cheers for the site link too, very useful! : )

cheers conorcan2, I have good PHP and MYSQL background, so I think I'll be going down that route alright, just really wanted to check to see if people had any experience with other plug and play type templates before I go and rewrite a wheel... using these are speedy but it takes away control which I'd prefer not to lose.

Cheers for the site link too, very useful! : )

Tools such as CodeIgnitor, CakePHP, Symfony wouldn't take away control as they are basically native PHP, you just have to adhere to a best-practice methodology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

+1 on CodeIgniter.

Also, I wouldn't be asking about where to host your site here or else this thread will get locked mighty quick!

• Advertisement
Advertisement