Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is bigger: Cahir or Cashel?

Options
  • 01-12-2010 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Physically, Cashel seems to be the bigger town to my eyes. But I've been told that Cahir has a larger population.

A new census is being undertaken in 2011, and a lot has changed since the last one was conducted in 2006.

Anyone care to speculate as to how things currently stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Furet wrote: »
    Physically, Cashel seems to be the bigger town to my eyes. But I've been told that Cahir has a larger population.

A new census is being undertaken in 2011, and a lot has changed since the last one was conducted in 2006.

Anyone care to speculate as to how things currently stand?

Just from driving through the towns you'd imagine Cashel is a bigger town.

I wonder if the population is people just in the town or in the whole parish? I'd have no idea about the size of each parish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Being from Cahir myself, I would say that it could be slightly bigger. Yes, when driving through both town centres, Cashel's would be bigger. But I'd say Cahir gets it overall when you take in the surrounding areas that are addressed as Cahir.

Then again, this could be just a biased opinion :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The 2006 census says that the populations, including suburbs and environs, are:

Cahir: 3,381
    Cashel: 2,936

It'll be interesting to see what data the 2011 census will yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I'm from Cahir so i'll keep the bias to a minimum :p Cahir, as said previously has a lot of surrounding areas which would be considered "Cahir", but if you were to base it on the town centres, Cashel is probably bigger. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Cahir and Mitchelstown have almost exact same population..I have a link but the CSO seems to be down, nothing new there, trying to find accurate information in this useless country is almost impossible... Cashel has smaller population than Cahir anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Being from Cahir myself, I would say that it could be slightly bigger. Yes, when driving through both town centres, Cashel's would be bigger. But I'd say Cahir gets it overall when you take in the surrounding areas that are addressed as Cahir.

Then again, this could be just a biased opinion :p

It doesnt work that way , Cashel has a town council so therefore its population is taken from that and any attached urban areas which lie outside boundary, Cahir would again only have its urban area included, i dont think Cahir even has a town council since the local government shake up, im sure STCC run it but the areas outside Cahir or Cashel dont count..Parish boundaries have nothing to do with it..Actually Cahir (3381) doesnt even have a legally defined town boundary, Cashel does, inside its boundary its pop is 2413 and add 523 as Cashel environs...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

charlemont wrote: »
    It doesnt work that way , Cashel has a town council so therefore its population is taken from that and any attached urban areas which lie outside boundary, Cahir would again only have its urban area included, i dont think Cahir even has a town council since the local government shake up, im sure STCC run it but the areas outside Cahir or Cashel dont count..Parish boundaries have nothing to do with it..Actually Cahir (3381) doesnt even have a legally defined town boundary, Cashel does, inside its boundary its pop is 2413 and add 523 as Cashel environs...

So Cahir is bigger then - Yaay :)

In your face Cashel people that base the evaluation of town worth on population size haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Digging up an old thread I know, but for official figures, this is from the RTE website in relation to voting constituency:

Clonmel is the main town in the constituency with more than 15,000 inhabitants, with Carrick-on-Suir, Tipperary and Cashel being the other large urban areas. More than 40% of the constituency’s population live in these four towns.

Advertisement