Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice to your younger self

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Dont drink Bulmers pear before going to the cinema with a one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Work hard at school
    Stay in touch with old friends
    Women come and go, don't fret or worry over them
    Don't take people at face value
    You will get out on your own soon just keep the head

Managed to give this advice to my younger brother and he is now 17 with qualifications and a great group of friends.:) Bright future ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Masturbation is the key to contentment. Sex with someone you love is the key to happiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dont walk though Temple Bar at 9:30 a.m. on the morning of Monday Nov 29th 2010, as you will slip and fcuk your back up.

Actually, take the week off, dont leave the house, you have 500 duty free ciggies.

Oweee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

red menace wrote: »
    "Stay away from software engineering it's totally not for you and you will suck at it"

I wonder how many would do the same. I'd say 80%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Emigrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Stick with your Chef training-it might get you out of this sh1thole.

Don't break up with so and so-he turned out to be quite rich. and not half as bad as some of the assholes who came after him.

Don't get a credit card!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

1) do what you can to get into college even if it bleeds you dry
    2) don't leave the country, you will regret it
    3) graphic design isn't a great career. unless you work for yourself. STAY AWAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

"Fúck a lot of women..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

"never look back to your past and think about how you could have changed it. You'll become hollow and very sad on the inside. you'll hate everything. you will become emotionally crippled and stop caring about anything and everything, even the girl who really loves you. she deserves better. the face you show your friends will not be your own. Dont waste you're time on half your family, they're full of **** and anyway, you end up moving thousands of miles away just to be rid of them. lay off the alcohol.

the biggest bit of advice i can give you is to work hard at college, and have some ****ing self respect, you're actually very intellegent, just put your mind to it."

jesus i sound emo. eew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

"Put time into learning all the skills necessary for building a doomsday device. No particular reason why."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't refuse sex from women on the grounds that they are drunk and it would be taking advantage of them, They aren't any more drunk than you and they get that drunk so they have an excuse to f**k you....

so many wasted oppurtunities. Damn my mother and her be respectful of women crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The girl you really fancy will emigrate and ignore you for the rest of your life. Despite all of this you will continue to have feelings for her years after she has left.

You should also bear in mind that no matter how many people you meet and acquaintances you gain, you will never have any more than 1 (perhaps 2) True friends in the world other than your immediate family.

Alcohol, drugs, drink, sex, gambling, work, money and all the things you indulge in will all affect your self esteem ina bad way and will have a negative impact on you at some point in your life resulting in more trouble than any of them are worth.

Your colleagues do not respect you and never will no matter what you achieve. Therefore your aspirations should never revolve around work. Spiritual fulfilment, education and your intellectual and emotional development will stimulate you far more than wasting your time on a sh1tty job that nobody cares about.

Never let anyone else influence your love life. What makes you happy is more important. It may end in tears and usually will but it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

orourkeda wrote: »
    The girl you really fancy will emigrate and ignore you for the rest of your life. After she shagged that skinny culchie apprentice solicitor in your house and made you look and feel like a plonker for expressing your feelings to her.

Don't bother your arse getting involved.

Been there more than once.

Here's a brotherly e-hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Dont sit so long on the jacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

You'll meet a girl called Glenda. Make sure you get her surname. If you don't, make sure you don't lose her phone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

You know what you want to do when you're 16, don't wait to you're 29 to start, do it when you're young and reap all the sexy benefits.

Stretch - a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

deman wrote: »
    You'll meet a girl called Glenda. Make sure you get her surname. If you don't, make sure you don't lose her phone number.
    Did she have strange eyebrows?
    If so, I might just know who you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Stay away from the friendzone, get confident stupid, and for God's sake get some exercise.

Terry wrote: »
    Been there more than once.

Here's a brotherly e-hug.

Ah thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Dont gain so much weight!

Stay in touch with real friends!

Study harder and pick a different college course!

Oh and most importantly dont get addicted to exclamation marks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

brain stop making me drink......that blonde girl is hot and interested in me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Don't eat yellow snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Younger me, calm the f*ck down. I got this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

"thats not chocolate - its cat ****"

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

snyper wrote: »
    "thats not chocolate - its cat ****"

:(

Ewwww.
    You didn't?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Ewwww.
    You didn't?!

It was the grit in the choclate that made me suspicious...

...not to mention the awful taste of SH!T!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

• Lift weights - you'll enjoy it.
    • Most girls think you're better looking than you do - put yourself out there.
    • Don't get a credit card, don't borrow money, save 10% of everything you earn.
    • Travel - you love it and the last piece of advice is how you'll be able to do it.
    • Get your Dad's old SLR out of the attic, it's quite cool.
    • Don't buy round of shots so often, it's pissing money into the wind.
    • You'll be offered a promotion that involves a trip to California, don't take it, you won't get to go and it'll cost you your job.
    • Don't worry about what other people think of you. The one's you like will generally like you too.
    • Don't fall in love with a girl because she's prepared to sleep with you. Sex != Love
    • Do I.T. rather than business, you're better cut out for technical roles.
    • Weed suits you better than booze, find a dealer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

I'm taking on board some of the sound advice on this thread :)

I wouldn't change much, I'm happy enough where I am at the moment in life, I'd just tell my younger self to enjoy it because it only happens once :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Be nicer to your parents and sisters. Grunting is not a form of communication.

Stop making fun of girls you secretly like-it is not going to make them like you.

Congratulations on not taking up smoking like the rest of the gang-now make sure not to smoke any weed. It doesn't suit you and will only make you paranoid and tired.

Bring a condom with you on Leaving Cert night.

Join some bloody societies in first year of college. They're not 'sad'

Grow some balls and chat up women in nightclubs.

in 2008, when you're a little bit older you'll get the opportunity to stay in New Zealand with a job and girlfriend. Don't come back to Ireland based on the fact that the last time you were there, there was plenty of money, jobs and everyone was having a great time.

**** does not affect your eyesight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Young Gucky.....

Sit down and I'll tell you a tale.

If a fella ever approaches you in the changing room cubicle in the swimming pool, he is NOT a doctor, and does NOT have to stick something up 'there' or you may die in a few years otherwise.

(sobs into pillow again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ear

dont **** a bitch without a condom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Its meant to be pulled back, you idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ear

Dean820 wrote: »
    Its meant to be pulled back, you idiot.

what is?

about the eysight ****,course it doesnt but id still recommend calming it down , maybe twice a week!

Do not do drugs ppl..drugs is bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

ear wrote: »
    what is?

He'll know what I'll mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

3 simple bits of advice young scheister wud be told

Treat ur girlfriends properly you'll be sorry if ya dont
    STUDY STUDY in school and college
    and when you start working in paddy powers buy the bloody shares they will improve 2.5 times in the 2 years that follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Don't let her go, you'll regret it for the rest of your life :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Regardless of current age.

If you were given time machine/genie/its a wonderful life type experience where you had to give your 9 year old self some advice, what would it be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Buy shares in Apple and Microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

CMpunked wrote: »
    Regardless of current age.

If you were given time machine/genie/its a wonderful life type experience where you had to give your 9 year old self some advice, what would it be?

Beware ginger women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

put down that wham bar... your sugar addiction will cripple you in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd say "When you join Boards make sure you don't start a thread about going back in time, or there will be thousands of them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Get a computer programming degree. Create Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Myspace, Bebo.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The outcome of as many sporting events as I could possibly remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Naryclaire

Not to get into cars with strangers, that strangers are default dangerous until proven otherwise. I was the most overly trusting child/teen, and it's a miracle I put myself in certain situations that I did and came out unharmed. I was walking home from the local shop when I was about 11 and a strange man asked me for directions. I told him it was on my way and GOT INTO HIS CAR. One completely harmless car ride later I got out, but thinking about it now as an adult, and thinking what sort of a strange man decided it was alright to have me in his car (only 10 yrs ago, not a different time) and remembering the strange vibe and "uh oh" feeling I got once I got in scares the **** out of me. Will be raising my children to assume all unknown people are evil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Chicks don't like nice guys. Drop the hand as quick and as often as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Santa Claus was good fun, but it was never going to last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Biggins wrote: »
    Buy shares in Apple and Microsoft.

Did they even exist when you were nine?

• Advertisement
Advertisement