Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help wanted

Options
  • 01-12-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys, basically I am looking for someone to help me get started making music house and tech house, I have reason 5 but to be honest I am struggling to get started I have tried watching tutorials but cant get to grips with them I feel I need someone beside me showing me as we go along, I know its a big ask for someone to give their time and patience but that said you might enjoy it I am near Drogheda so can travel anywhere within an hour or so as for anyone looking paid if i was in a position to pay I would be on a course already, just to say I m 30 and have been into dance music for the last 13 years just never had the time to devote to it but do now. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

If it was Logic id help ya out man but unfortunately i dont have a clue about Reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Iorras55

jonnk28 wrote: »
    Hi guys, basically I am looking for someone to help me get started making music house and tech house, I have reason 5 but to be honest I am struggling to get started I have tried watching tutorials but cant get to grips with them I feel I need someone beside me showing me as we go along, I know its a big ask for someone to give their time and patience but that said you might enjoy it I am near Drogheda so can travel anywhere within an hour or so as for anyone looking paid if i was in a position to pay I would be on a course already, just to say I m 30 and have been into dance music for the last 13 years just never had the time to devote to it but do now. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

A bit rich that you can afford to travel for an hour or so to anywhere!! but you 'need' and expect someone to give up their free time and patience to sit beside you, one-to-one to help you make your choice of music because you never had time before but do now? How do you travel - your own car or is it bicycle or walking because you have no money?

You might be better to offer your help to others instead of asking someone else to give up their precious time to molly-coddle you because you can't understand tutorials don't you think. Its better to give than to receive you know! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Iorras55 wrote: »
    A bit rich that you can afford to travel for an hour or so to anywhere!! but you 'need' and expect someone to give up their free time and patience to sit beside you, one-to-one to help you make your choice of music because you never had time before but do now? How do you travel - your own car or is it bicycle or walking because you have no money?

You might be better to offer your help to others instead of asking someone else to give up their precious time to molly-coddle you because you can't understand tutorials don't you think. Its better to give than to receive you know! :(
    Bit harsh no?
    I got walk through alot of Logic by someone who didnt look for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jonnk28

iroass 55 first off I dont expect anyone if they do great if not so be it. second your a bit quick to assume you know something about me, the reason i say that is that I give up a lot of my spare time as I volunteerr in a youth club not where I live but in a disadvantaged area in a town 20 minutes from where i live so I believe what goes around will come around, so make sure you look left and right when you cross the road because you do seem like a busy know it all and no doubt you be interfering in something else when that bus hits you.

seannash thanks for ur kind reply, my mate use logic but im on windows, was kind hoping that if someone does help out eventually we could bash ideas out. Iorass i think is a bit of a loner and if he got out from behind his computer and made some friend he wouldnt come across as such a twat but then i dont think he has the social skills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Forget the haters JonnK, a few hours with someone who knows what their at and is a patient and good teacher will save you massive time in the long run and help you get results a lot sooner, which will make you want to keep doing it.

I highly recommend a few grinds to give you a kick start. Nothing to stop you learning on your own at the same time.

grinds never thought of them, if anyone can provide them at a reasonable rate pm me. thanks kilkenny flyer

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Yo man, welcome to the forum, why not just ask your questions here?

I make house and techno, im not using reason currently but have in the past, maybe i could help? We need more people asking questions on this forum!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

SteveDon wrote: »
    Yo man, welcome to the forum, why not just ask your questions here?

I make house and techno, im not using reason currently but have in the past, maybe i could help? We need more people asking questions on this forum!

I've got question.

How do you get that really big fat Electro Bass sound - I've been playing around with Chorus on saws with a Tal - I'm getting close but not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

I can't help you out with lessons...I barely get time to sit down and do some work myself but youtube is your friend here. I learnt the basics in a couple of days and later the more intricate tricks by watching peoples clips on youtube. Official manuals, like lots of software, tend to be compressed, to the point and lacking in examples. Watch some vids on youtube and follow what other people are doing. Pause the vid and repro. There doesn't appear to be much difference with the new version so the Reason 4 vids of which there are plenty should be useful...just try not to import habits that are no longer applicable.

Also, download other people's songs with a few simple tracks and play around with them/add some of your own tracks on top. You'll pick it up in no time. The basics are really simple with this program once you get past the few first hurdles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

krd wrote: »
    I've got question.

How do you get that really big fat Electro Bass sound - I've been playing around with Chorus on saws with a Tal - I'm getting close but not there yet.

Show me an example of what you mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

SteveDon wrote: »
    Show me an example of what you mean

The bass that comes in at about 38 secs hear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnxr9fWUaXU

Actually I like all the sounds on it - I like the electric piano sound in it too - which I don't know how make either. I'm trying to figure out how make my sounds sound crisper - with more going on in the high end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

this guy is your friend, learnt so much from this in 2 days!

best I've found so far for tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/user/wwwboyinabandcom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

Yeah I've been following the "52 Reason Record Tips: Week N" (1 to 52) tutorials after getting the Reason 5 + Record 1.5 upgrade this week. Excellent tutorials, lots of pausing and rewinding but holy fvk all those Control Voltage (CV) inputs on the back panels are not just there for show. Upgrading from Reason 4 to 5 alone really does seem fairly pointless.

Although completely different from the 52 Tips videos this is good. Replacing oscillators with an audio input:

Advertisement