Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Pubs of Athlone? Anyone suggest a route?

Options
  • 01-12-2010 3:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭

Myself and a few of my friends are meeting up to do the 12 pubs in Athlone. I'm not hugely familiar with all the pubs in the town, would anyone care to suggest a route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

hummm what I'd probably do is start around Richard Graces, then up to Potters (beside supermacs), then to JD's, then over the road to Flannery's, then over the road and around the corner to the old man pub across the road (can never remember the name of it :P, Cearys?, there's two side by side), then back across the road and up a bit to The Local, followed by Nuts Corner, up the road and down a lane to Harveys, around the corner to Gerties, up the hill and over the bridge to the Castle Inn, over to The Snug and finish it off with Seans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Cheers Bob, sounds like a good plan. For everyone else, I advise ye to avoid these pubs like the plague on the 18th! :pac:

haha, no bother. Will be sure to avoid the last 4 pubs on the list then on the 18th :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    ...then over the road and around the corner to the old man pub across the road (can never remember the name of it :P, Cearys?, there's two side by side) ...

Careys and Cartys

haha, Cartys it is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

v. good selection from BoB_BoT there, all close enough together that you aren't walking too far

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

Or take a look at http://www.12pubs.com/ and go to the Athlone section in the venue to see the map with the pubs.

for example the 2005 route is here: http://www.12pubs.com/venues/athlone/12pubs_route_2005.jpg.

Be aware there are some changes...
    1. Biddy's is now Richard Grace's
    2. River S is a restaurant so you'll have to findanother pub to take its place

iceman777 wrote: »
    Or take a look at http://www.12pubs.com/ and go to the Athlone section in the venue to see the map with the pubs.

That's the old Ericsson 12 pubs route, starting across the road in Dans

Dans is a bit far out to be walking in this weather :P
    Bring cardboard to slide down the paths on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

It's grand to start off though if you're workin out that direction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

1. The shack
    2. Richard Graces
    3. Potters
    4. Nuts
    5. The local
    6. The prince
    7. Gerties
    8. The Palace
    9. The Castle
    10. Seans
    11. The Snug
    12. Coppers*
    The reason i put coppers in last is because its a late bar. Some wouldnt put that in there, but it is somewhere to have a late drink, despite it being a bit "clubby"

The ones in italics would be where i would drink if/when i go out - i dont know if thats a good or a bad thing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Good one Snyper. The only change I would make is to swap Seans for Cearnog! or however its spelt.
    Seans could be to busy and small and no room for a group to come in and have one pint in comfort.

Other than that I may have to have a crack at that route myself.
    Never done a 12 pubs of christmas.

Good one Snyper. The only change I would make is to swap Seans for Cearnog! or however its spelt.
    Seans could be to busy and small and no room for a group to come in and have one pint in comfort.

Other than that I may have to have a crack at that route myself.
    Never done a 12 pubs of christmas.

Where is the Cearnog? Is that where the tatch used to be on the square opp the church?

Seans - i like it but dont go there because the missus hates it - but there is a big beergarden out the back, of course now that i mention it - December isnt a good time for a beer garden!!

yup An Cearnóg (Ceanóg?) is where the Tatch was, or the Riverside Inn, whichever you remember it as :P

Seans around Christmas does tend to be a bit wedged, but as snyper said, big beer garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Yep thats it. Where the tatch use to be. Not a bad spot, but a bit quiet which is a shame. because its a nice pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Bit late but... here is the Ericsson one :D

3.30 pm
    Dan’s Tavern

4.00 pm
    Seans

4.30 pm
    The Snug

5.00 pm
    Castle

5.30 pm
    An Cearnog

6.00 pm
    Gertie Brownes

6.30 pm
    Harveys

7.00 pm
    Ricks

7.30 pm
    41s

8.00 pm
    Nuts Corner

8.30 pm
    Durtys

9.00 pm
    O’Neills

???????
    Q/Coppers/Karma

Has anyone done their 12 pubs of Christmas yet? And survived :P

Ericsson one was yesterday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭crazy_spider

yeah the ericsson one was last friday.... barely survived.
    The Elan one is tomorrow starting in Richard Graces tomorrow at 6.

Bit late but... here is the Ericsson one :D

3.30 pm
    Dan’s Tavern

4.00 pm
    Seans

4.30 pm
    The Snug

5.00 pm
    Castle

5.30 pm
    An Cearnog