Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the college close?

Options
  • 01-12-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Does anyone reckon Trinity will close if the weather continues to get worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Well the dental hospital is closed until Monday as of this afternoon. We were sent home at lunch so it's possible I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dazmetron

http://www.tcd.ie/Communications/news/news.php?headerID=1636&vs_date=2010-12-01

Deteriorating Weather Conditions: College Arrangements

News feed for Trinity College Dublin.

Dec 01, 2010

Due to the deteriorating weather conditions and the weather forecast for further adverse weather to-morrow and the resulting health and safety concerns the following arrangements will apply.

1. To-day (Wednesday 1 December 2010)

The Catering Service will close at 3.00pm. Regrettably the Commons meal for this evening will be cancelled.

All College offices including the Library will close at 5.00pm, including the 24 hour access and the 1937 Reading Room.

The following access arrangements will be in place:

· Nassau Street Gate will close at 6.00pm

· Pearse Street vehicular Gate will close at 6.00pm

· Lincoln Place Gate will be available for vehicular exit only from 6.00pm until midnight

· Front Gate will remain open to resident staff and students only

2. To-morrow (Thursday 2 December 2010)

All scheduled teaching for undergraduate and postgraduate courses and evening lectures/seminars has been cancelled.

A decision in relation to teaching scheduled for Friday 3 December 2010 will be advised on the afternoon of 2 December 2010.

College offices and services will be open until 5.00pm, but with expected reduced capacity in anticipation of reduced staffing levels.

Trinity College regrets the inconvenience these arrangements will cause but they are taken in the best interests of staff and students.

Please watch the college website www.tcd.ie for further up-dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, for tomorrow, college services finishing at 5pm, would that include the dining hall?

Also "woo snow day yay!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Oh wow, Commons isn't on!

I really needed to know that - hope they'll be sending out an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

51Q9ABKHM1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Commons cancelled?!

It's a slippery slope...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Commons cancelled?!

It's a slippery slope...

They give ye take-away vouchers or anything?
    Just gonna let you starve to death are they :eek:

http://www.tcd.ie/Communications/news/news.php?headerID=1636&vs_date=2010-12-02

Revised College Arrangements Due to Deteriorating Weather Conditions

News feed for Trinity College Dublin.

Dec 02, 2010

College wishes to advise that following a review of the current ground conditions and the weather forecast for the next 24 hours the following arrangements will be in force. Because of the on-going and changing weather conditions it is not possible to guarantee to maintain safe routes to and between all parts of College at all times during normal opening hours for the provision of services to the full College community who would be present on campus during normal operations. Many staff and students are experiencing great difficulties travelling from their place of residence to College and cannot be guaranteed safe return home in the evening. Staff who have concerns in relation to their ability to travel to or from work, should discuss the issue with their manager/supervisor, in order to decide on mutually satisfactory arrangements.

PLEASE NOTE: All further communications relating to the College’s operations during this spell of bad weather will be posted on the College website.

Thursday 2 December 2010

The Catering Service will close at 3.00pm. Regrettably the Commons meal for this evening will be cancelled.

The Library will close at 3.00pm, including the 24 hour access and the 1937 Reading Room. All other College offices will close at 4.00pm.

* Nassau Street Gate will close at 6.00pm
    * Pearse Street vehicular Gate will close at 6.00pm
    * Lincoln Place Gate will be available for vehicular exit only from 6.00pm until midnight
    * Front Gate will remain open to resident staff and students only

Friday 3 December 2010

All scheduled teaching for undergraduate and postgraduate courses and evening lectures/seminars has been cancelled.

All other College offices and services will be open until 5.00pm, but with expected reduced capacity in anticipation of reduced staffing levels.

All College offices including the Library will close at 5.00pm, including the 24 hour access and the 1937 Reading Room.

* Nassau Street Gate will close at 6.00pm
    * Pearse Street vehicular Gate will close at 6.00pm
    * Lincoln Place Gate will be available for vehicular exit only from 6.00pm until midnight
    * Front Gate will remain open to resident staff and students only

Saturday 4 December 2010

All scheduled teaching for undergraduate and postgraduate courses and lectures/seminars has been cancelled.

A decision in relation to the week-end opening of the campus, including the Library, and College business on Monday will be communicated on the College website by lunchtime on Friday 3 December 2010.

Safety Advice to students/staff:

Staff and residents who are present in College are advised to restrict their movement through College to a minimum. Keep to cleared routes where possible and only deviate from such areas with care when absolutely necessary. Appropriate footwear should be worn at all times and persons should be aware of the possibility of snow falling from roofs or other heightsI regret the inconvenience these arrangements will cause but they are taken in the best interests of staff and students.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

It's mad, we might not even have Monday lectures at this point, going by what they're saying - well, that's what I'm assuming from "College business on Monday". :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The link posted has different contents to what was posted...

• Advertisement

Sorry. Link changed after I posted.

Updated link is : http://www.tcd.ie/Communications/news/news.php?headerID=1636&vs_date=2010-12-02

have also corrected original post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Am I the only one thinking this is kind of pathetic? I mean, the weather isn't that bad from where I'm standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking this is kind of pathetic? I mean, the weather isn't that bad from where I'm standing.

Bloody horrendous today. Was coming back to college this evening, damned lucky that the Luas made it as far as Heuston station before the rails became impassable. Buses full to capacity. Snow almost a foot deep in places.

Good chance weather won't improve much before the end of next week. I don't blame the college, it's the surroundings that are far worse, Westmoreland St., O'Connell St. and Parnell St.'s roads were disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

You'd think the Communications Office of a top 100 university would be literate.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Anyone know if science labs are also cancelled tomorrow? I presume 'scheduled teaching' counts for them aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Holysock wrote: »
    Anyone know if science labs are also cancelled tomorrow? I presume 'scheduled teaching' counts for them aswell

Noelle sent an email around earlier about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Nothing about the Bio labs though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

They're definitely not on. The whole college is out of action.

Update is here. Teaching is to recommence on Monday.. Does anyone remember the college being equally ambitious about the Monday of Schols this year? :P

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Update is here. Teaching is to recommence on Monday.. Does anyone remember the college being equally ambitious about the Monday of Schols this year? :P

...yeah, judging from the forecast they've decided to open for the worst weather. Good idea.

amacachi wrote: »
    ...yeah, judging from the forecast they've decided to open for the worst weather. Good idea.

I'd say they're tentatively saying they're open, with a further update on Sunday afternoon once things become clearer perhaps. I wouldn't have even bothered updating today considering we've no idea how it'll turn out - like you said, things could get an awful lot worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

John Stearne library at James's closed at 3, so I hopped into a seminar room across the hall to study. Hope I'm not locked into the Trinity Centre now...

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I'd say they're tentatively saying they're open, with a further update on Sunday afternoon once things become clearer perhaps. I wouldn't have even bothered updating today considering we've no idea how it'll turn out - like you said, things could get an awful lot worse!

Judging from how much snow has fallen here it'll be hard for me to get down but Dublin might be better. Still no sign of a proper thaw either, Met Eireann keep pushing it back with their forecasts. Blegh.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

A Neurotic wrote: »
    John Stearne library at James's closed at 3, so I hopped into a seminar room across the hall to study. Hope I'm not locked into the Trinity Centre now...

I was kicked out of there yesterday.

.. I have a feeling he's now locked in. (They closed the building at 4 yesterday). :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 3 little birds

Anyone know if I'll be able to get into the Lloyd building on Saturday/Sunday? Need to get something out of my locker.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anyone know if I'll be able to get into the Lloyd building on Saturday/Sunday? Need to get something out of my locker.
    Email/Notice clearly states:
    Saturday 4 December 2010
    The College will remain closed to all staff, students and visitors other than residents and essential staff.

Sunday 5, December 2010
    The College will remain closed to all staff, students and visitors other than residents and essential staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 3 little birds

Jonathan wrote: »
    Email/Notice clearly states:

Thanks, that's what I thought too but one of the Lloyd building staff told me I should be able to get in with my student card? They were probably wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd chance going in and saying to security you need to get something out of your locker - exams next week, etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Larianne wrote: »
    I'd chance going in and saying to security you need to get something out of your locker - exams next week, etc. etc.

Some postgrads in my research group had to get my supervisor to get permission to be allowed in to do necessary, so it might not be that simple. Although depending on who is security on the gate you might get in.

The building may also not be open unless you have a key/means of access outside hours 3 little birds.

Advertisement