Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home speakers and amplifiers

• 01-12-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Ok, I need help with a couple of things. Im currently building my house and am starting the wiring soon. Ive looked at a lot of AV systems i would like to install im my house but I now realise there is no huge budget for them!

So, here is my idea. Im thinking of putting speaker cable into each room, and allow them to be hooked up to an amplifier, which in turn can be hooked up to a logitech or sonos system in the future. Is this the right thing to do? Where would the amplifiers usually be placed? i havent chased any walls specifically for the speaker cable so i have a feeling that might be an issue!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't forget Cat-5e cabling also, you'll get minimal replies here, best off having a sift through this forum which has countless threads on your topic and best of all good uploaders who contribute photos.
    Best of luck with your build.

Meant to say, a subwoofer is not connected via ordinary speaker cable, because of the nature of the signal it needs a bigger dedicated shielded cable, similar to RCA connections, you need to carefully consider where this will be placed and plan your cable placement.
    Oh, and in many cases it could be directional...
    acoustic_rich_Subwoofer_cable_25ft.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭LowOdour

ok, now we are getting into unknown territory.The room is 4m x 4m (roughly), and speakers going in each corner. TV is dead center of the the wall, over the chimney breast. Where would be the ideal position for the sub-woofer, or will all speakers need a sub woofer? Will check out that link you sent me, cheers.

Usually, you need just the one sub, in some cases amps have two connections but unless you are insanely into your movie sound one is sufficient. Placement is usually about a quarter/third from a front corner, don't forget your sub will also need a socket as it's independantally powered unlike ordinary speakers.
    Dolby have a decent enough explanation here....
    You have outlined a 5.1 speaker setup with one in each corner (don't forget the centre speaker).
    1. Front left
    2. Front right
    3. Front centre
    4. Rear left
    5. Rear right
    .1 Sub

Advertisement